Photo of the Month - December 2015 - Entries

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Photo of the Month - December 2015 - Entries

Post by Voyager One »

Sorry guys, just a brief answer for now, I haven't been behind my computer for the last couple of days so honestly I haven't checked all these entries well. I will do it tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work but the "rule" about transport-related pics only is still valid so some may be discarded before the voting. Sorry for all inconveniences, I've had a hell of a week.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher wrote:Is this now a general photo competition without a transport requirement any more?

Edit:
My contribution, the Arctic port of Narvik in Norway on a crisp freezing February day.
Yup, I definitely forgot. I was looking at the other photos and thought "Oh I have something that fits" without thinking this was supposed to be transport related. I can accept my disqualification :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

OK guys, here I am, back home again. Back from the 9th circle of hell...

First of all, no offense anyone, strictly "business" here...

Now, a valid point has been raised. Pics MUST be transport related. In my opinion, there are two that clearly don't satisfy this condition - te_lanus and Eddy Arfik. Sorry guys but these two must go out.

As for others, there are indeed some that are questionable and VERY borderline: AndersI, Chrill, Voyager One, Transportman.
As far as I'm concerned, these can still remain for the folowing reason: there IS a glimpse of transport-relation in all of these images too, maybe not truly clear but I personally see it.
E.g. Chrill -> a waterway around the castle, Transportman and AndersI -> a bridge, Voyager One -> catenary and a small ship in the background.

However, let's make it fair. I'll hold the voting topic until Sunday, until then, please, write here "yes" or "no". "Yes" - they stay, "no" - they all go away. In any case, if they stay, noone has to vote them.

My penny is "yes" but lets all have a say. :wink:

Cheers guys and sorry again for my lack of care these days.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Voyager One wrote:As for others, there are indeed some that are questionable and VERY borderline: AndersI, Chrill, Voyager One, Transportman.
As far as I'm concerned, these can still remain for the folowing reason: there IS a glimpse of transport-relation in all of these images too, maybe not truly clear but I personally see it.
E.g. Chrill -> a waterway around the castle, Transportman and AndersI -> a bridge, Voyager One -> catenary and a small ship in the background.
I still can't agree personally. I wouldn't even say borderline.
The subject in Chrill's photo is the castle and just having water around it doesn't make it transport related. If the focus was on a canal, or a boat on the water, then it would make perfect sense.
For Anders, again there is no subject of the photo which is transport. I didn't even think that was a bridge to be honest. But even then, a simple footbridge isn't really transport related. Similar with Transportmans.
And yours Voyager, I get what you mean there's a ship in the background and the like... but I still find that unfair. Someone could have a glorious photo of anything and then argue "There's a road in the bottom right corner of the photos. You can see a few pixels of it." That to me isn't fair on others.
The subject of any photo should be transport in some way shape or form. Not something sitting in the corner barely noticeable :(

Sorry man. That's just my thoughts on it. End of the day, your discretion. Perhaps we should start fresh in the next competition?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Geo Ghost wrote:I still can't agree personally. I wouldn't even say borderline.
The subject in Chrill's photo is the castle and just having water around it doesn't make it transport related. If the focus was on a canal, or a boat on the water, then it would make perfect sense.
For Anders, again there is no subject of the photo which is transport. I didn't even think that was a bridge to be honest. But even then, a simple footbridge isn't really transport related. Similar with Transportmans.
And yours Voyager, I get what you mean there's a ship in the background and the like... but I still find that unfair. Someone could have a glorious photo of anything and then argue "There's a road in the bottom right corner of the photos. You can see a few pixels of it." That to me isn't fair on others.
The subject of any photo should be transport in some way shape or form. Not something sitting in the corner barely noticeable :(

Sorry man. That's just my thoughts on it. End of the day, your discretion. Perhaps we should start fresh in the next competition?
I have to agree with Geo for a large part (only part I disagree is the analysis regarding my picture, although I did have a moment of doubt when I picked it). This competition is about transport-related pictures, and while I would say that transport does not have to be the primary subject of the picture, I think the transport-element should be strongly present in the picture and not something small in the background (although I probably entered some pictures in earlier months where the transport-element really was in the background). And for those pictures that are mentioned, I consider the transport-element to not be present enough for most pictures.

Now I also said that the only part I disagree is the analysis regarding my picture, so I also want to explain why. When I picked this photo to enter it in this month's competition, I did have a moment of doubt, as the bridge is not the strongest presences in the picture, and the bridge being a footbridge makes the transport-element even less clear when compared to the modes of transport being discussed on a regular basis on this forum. However, I still deemed a footbridge being transport related and deemed the bridge present enough to make my picture eligible.

This whole discussion does however raises an interesting question, when can a picture still be considered transport related? Should transport be the primary subject of the picture, or can it be a bit more subtle? Can it only be transport related if it displays one of the modes of transport being discussed regularly on this forum? I think we should consider transport for this competition quite wide, to allow all kinds of transport modes, to allow the transport-element to be a bit more subtle if it would fit the theme. And only if one or more people express serious doubts regarding one or more entries consider rejecting those, and otherwise just let the voting process take care of that.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Transportman wrote:Now I also said that the only part I disagree is the analysis regarding my picture, so I also want to explain why. When I picked this photo to enter it in this month's competition, I did have a moment of doubt, as the bridge is not the strongest presences in the picture, and the bridge being a footbridge makes the transport-element even less clear when compared to the modes of transport being discussed on a regular basis on this forum. However, I still deemed a footbridge being transport related and deemed the bridge present enough to make my picture eligible.
Actually on second thought, you are right there.
I am sorry, and I agree totally. Totally discard what I said on yours. A bridge is indeed a mode or transport, and I even wrote it into the rules! And it is quite certainly the focus of your photo. Please accept my apologies.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

OK, I see a whole new point of view from this... and you're both right. So... if bridges are accepted, Transportman's and AndersI's pics are OK.

I can change mine immediately, no problem, no more contestation from me.

Chrill, te_lanus, Eddy Arfik - if you can change your entry by Sunday that would be great.

Would it be OK like this?
---

Into the storm...
1215POTM_VoyagerOne_small.JPG
1215POTM_VoyagerOne_small.JPG (41.97 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

My take on the pictures - just going by gut feeling, really:

te_lanus - I can't really make out what's in the foreground, but I agree, I don't spot anything transport-related in this one. NO.
S-Transport - ships, clearly in some ways build-up waterway. Quite clearly transport-related. YES.
Voyager One - The ship is far too small, and the lake just is some natural body of water. Catenary imo can be a valid picture, but there'd need to be more of actually captured in the shot. So I'm inclined towards NO. I'm not sure though - if it's taken from a train on those tracks then mentioning that and the catenary would be enough for me.
Pilot - An airport, clearly valid. YES.
AndersI - As with overheard wiring or whatever I think streets (or bridges or whatever this is) can be a valid entry, but it really should then be a shot primarily about that street - like, tracks on a snow-covered street for example. Or if it's about the river maybe a picture of where a ship has broken through ice or something. This one isn't quite enough for me, so NO.
Pyoro - Also on airport. To nobody's surprise I'm convinced my entry is valid ;) YES.
teccuk - Harbor/dock + ship and such. Basically the equivalent of airport shots for ships instead of planes. Would've been acceptable to me even without the ship. Definitely YES.
Transportman - Pedestrian bridge. I agree that pedestrians are a bit troublesome since basically they can walk around anywhere, but if it's a clear piece of infrastructure it's a definite YES for me. I think what's important to me here is that it's the main focus or at least a secondary focus of the picture - it's not just a picture "from" to bridge to somewhere, or off the people on the bridge, or whatever, it's a picture of the bridge. It includes other things, too, but that shouldn't matter.
Eddy Arfik - A nice picture, but, yeah, unless some sort of mythological puns are allowed rainbows don't transport anything. NO.
Chrill - Seems to be primarily about the castle and perhaps its moat, so that's NO for me. If it where about that pedestrian platform or whatever that is the picture is from, it perhaps could've been valid, but it isn't. Likewise, if it were the moat around the Imperial Palace in Tokyo with people boating around, that would've been fine, too, for me, but no ongoing transportation related activity seems to be going on there either, so NO. ^^
Ameecher - Ships, dock/harbor/waterways, again. Plenty of other things that are also in the shot but they don't nearly overshadow the very visible transportation element: clearly YES.

And on Voyager's new picture; it's a ship, there's some weather going on, also clearly YES. ^^
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Transportman wrote:Now I also said that the only part I disagree is the analysis regarding my picture, so I also want to explain why. When I picked this photo to enter it in this month's competition, I did have a moment of doubt, as the bridge is not the strongest presences in the picture, and the bridge being a footbridge makes the transport-element even less clear when compared to the modes of transport being discussed on a regular basis on this forum. However, I still deemed a footbridge being transport related and deemed the bridge present enough to make my picture eligible.
Actually on second thought, you are right there.
I am sorry, and I agree totally. Totally discard what I said on yours. A bridge is indeed a mode or transport, and I even wrote it into the rules! And it is quite certainly the focus of your photo. Please accept my apologies.
No problem, no need to apologize ( but they are accepted of course ).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The water around the castle is used for boat transports, primarily in the summer (it's pretty much a dead end, you can't continue past the castle on the right). I'd say my photo is disqualified, along with the other borderline photos. There was no element of transport in my picture, I thought "Weather" without thinking about the overall theme of this.

I also don't have a replacement photo, so I will have to withdraw from the competition this month!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Leon

Image Image Image Image
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I've been away from the computer a while. I'll say as Chrill - I thought "Weather" without thinking about the overall theme of this.
You'd better remove mine too!

Of course, one could argue that it is a pedestrian/cyclist bridge over a previously used transportation route (the stream), but none of that can be seen in the picture, and weren't in my thought when I choose the picture.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Nevertheless, tt's still a bridge and it can pass. No worries for this occasion. :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”