(UNIV) Canadian Train Set Development - *Update 11/09/11*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTransLtd wrote:Sorry, lifeblood, you've got to live with it. You could of course adjust the 'wagonspeedlimits' switch, if you don't want the extra 20 km/h.
No porblem, I just wasn't sure if this was a coding oversight.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

ISA wrote: How can i give savegameand other stuff, if I just go into the game and it crached. U were talking about a68( i have it), my opinion is that the crach was caused in patch not in canset.... If its so and true, then sry guys wrong place to post this crash :oops:
Found the problem frilly sry guys for plameing.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=383742#383742
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

ISA wrote:Found the problem ...
Don't worry about it; I'm glad it is a problem I don't have to fix.
... 'wagonspeedlimits' ...
Thanks everybody for the clarification.
... HaroldV and the 'smoking' Turbo Train ...
HaroldV, could you do some testing for me? I've updated the Turbo, specified TE of 240 as it should be. TE now shows as 480 in train info. Then I created a turbo 'duplicate' (forget about the sprites), but this one is implemented as ordinary engine, with exactly the same technical specs. Goto 1980, the alternate will show up just below the Turbo in the purchasing list. You'll need 2 engines (multi head the train) for the test. Just build 2 trains, 1 Turbo (original) plus 1 Turbo 'Multihead' - see pic below and test them for excessive smoking and whether it is acceptable. They should perform exactly the same. The .grf is a one-off mod, windows version, has a different GraphicsID and should not be used for anything else.
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

OzTransLtd wrote:HaroldV, could you do some testing for me?
Sure. Neither "Normal Turbo" nor "Multihead Turbo" in the experimental grf exhibit oversmoking.

But, I'm not sure that I'm testing what you think you've made.

Err ... what I mean is ...
"I've updated the Turbo, specified TE of 240 as it should be. TE now shows as 480 in train info"
Actually it appears from a performance[0] point of view that the experimental "Normal" Turbo does have TE of 488kN, and the "Multihead" has TE of 2x244kN (=488) and it is these attributes that prevent the oversmoking problem (based on how oversmoking was explained in PB's HST case). So, to summarise:

CanSet v0.2a :
Turbo Train = 7000hp, 242kN = oversmoke

CanSet v0.2d (experimental) :
Turbo Train = 7000hp, 488kN = no oversmoke
Multihead Turbo Train = 2x3500hp, 2x244kN = no oversmoke

... does this help or hinder? :wink:

[0] That is, the experimental Turbo Trains appeared to have slightly faster acceleration (attributed to higher TE) than a Turbo Train (of the same weight, over the same route) from release v0.2a. This is anecdotal of course: I can't compare Turbo Trains from both grfs in one game, side-by-side, so this observation may be faulty, and the correct (lower) TE is being applied, even if it is different from that displayed in the purchase window, as your post indicated.

P.S. Apologies to DaleStan for stealing his cool "[x]" footnote notation. :P
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Thanks, HaroldV. Yes it does help. I expected both trains to show the same performance and if that is acceptable we are done. I'll increase that TE to 240, although I find it a bit odd, that a 50 t engine with 3.500 hp can develop a TE of 240; e.g the SBB Re 460, an 84 t engine with 8330 hp only develops a TE of 275.

But, if want I can add the original Turbo train to the experimental version should you want to compare the 2 together.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Another North American streetcar, a President's Conference Committee (PCC) Car. These cars were used all over the world, and lasted until the 1990's in some cities. Some survive to this day.

Toronto had the largest fleet, so naturally, I'd include it here ;)
Attachments
PCC Car
PCC Car
PCC.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Looking very good, DanMack. I already requested the right to recouler it for a possible Dutch Tramset :P :roll: .
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

A little delayed, sorry. But here is the NG depot. I loved the roofline on the SG one so much, I retained it, changed the windows a bit, and obviously recoloured it to a red brick and silver metal roof. This way it fits nicely next to a SG depot, yet is quite disinquishable. Anyhow, enough justification, here it is, cut up and ready for a coding.
Attachments
new_depot_sprites_123.png
new_depot_sprites_123.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:... here is the NG depot. ...
Nice work ... shall be included in one of the next updates.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

:shock: Looks good man!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Do the streetcars need their own depot Dan? I could do one of the TTC shops, if need be. :)
HaroldV
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by HaroldV »

OzTransLtd,

Another week, another oversmoker spotted (dunno how I missed it before actually) : the GMD GP38-2 (260kN, 5000hp). That's in the v0.2c release, BTW.

8)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Here is a minor update ...

what's new ?

. fixed VIA Mail car (sprites)
. Turbo Train: doubled TE to 240 kN
. added new narrow gauge train depot by lifeblood
. tweaked AI management (AutoReplace)

... get the updated version WIN or DOS (v0.2d) from my sig. BTW, the guide has not been updated.

EDIT:
HaroldV wrote: ... another oversmoker spotted ...
Unless, DanMack has given me the wrong specs for the GP38-2, that one is correct. Tech specs : TE 258 kN, weight 115 t, power 5,000 hp.

BTW, there are quite a few, that do have difficulties getting up minor inclines, but that is how it is in IRL. May be you just ask to much of them; i.e the train is too heavy.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

OzTransLtd wrote:Unless, DanMack has given me the wrong specs for the GP38-2, that one is correct. Tech specs : TE 258 kN, weight 115 t, power 5,000 hp.
A GP38-2 should be 2000hp.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

PikkaBird wrote:A GP38-2 should be 2000hp.
That would make it even worse.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

OzTransLtd wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:A GP38-2 should be 2000hp.
That would make it even worse.
It would? The GP-38 in the NARS has basically the same stats, only with the correct horsepower, and it doesn't oversmoke.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

PikkaBird wrote:... The GP-38 in the NARS has basically the same stats, only with the correct horsepower, and it doesn't oversmoke.
I shall try that.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I never noticed the 5000HP GP38-2... Wow am I blind...lol Pikka's right though, it should be 2,000. Now if only we could make the MLW's smoke that much...lol
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

DanMacK wrote:I never noticed the 5000HP GP38-2... Wow am I blind ... Pikka's right though, it should be 2,000. ...
Well, if that's the only problem, I will fix that; it might have been a typo.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

HI guys, I like the diesel smokes. I think some of the older engines did exhaust quite a lot of smoke when running on full trottle.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).

Return to “Graphics Development”