Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Great! only a couple of details:
> the original train yard, with loose cars, isn't going to be used, since there is a new version. I recall Michael Blunck mentioning somewhere that there is a patch feature to show loose cars from the current active set in the fake tracks, or something like that. If that is possible, I'd like to addapt that to the new trainyard, and get rid of the old one
> the "dockyard cranes" (docks / shipyard cranes, I suppose ;) ) aren't done by me, but by Lancelot
> the shinkansen stations are based on Korenn's work, I'd like him to be mentioned too

That's it! thanks for the great update
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, I updated the credits. You are right, I want to be very careful to give credit where it's due; it's the only payment we have!

I left the old sidings posted, until we know for sure about the feature MB was talking about. When that's working, then you are right, they won't be needed, and I'll take them off.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Quick, stupid question...
Is the KOKI 101 really meant to hold 128 Tonnes each?
Also, I've got nothing 'large' to transport wheat in after 1989 ... the HOKI 1000 disappears and then I have to resort to the TOMU 500!
Attachments
tomu.png
tomu.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Oh, this is strange indeed:

Your screenshot features the temperate set, but you are transporting food. This means that you are using some kind of new industries GRF.
As far as I know, there is no support yet for additional industries in the current japan set trains GRF.
So, maybe this has something to do with the fact that the KOKI is transporting a strange ammount of food; and having freight cars dissapear from the purchause list (which was a feature I thought as impossible; only engines could be retired until now...)

However I have absolutely no idea about coding, let's see if someone more familiar with the code can give you a clearer answer.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Sanchimaru wrote:So, maybe this has something to do with the fact that the KOKI is transporting a strange ammount of food
If the default cargo is goods, and the wagon does not use a refit callback, then when it is refit to any other cargo its capacity will be doubled.
and having freight cars dissapear from the purchause list (which was a feature I thought as impossible; only engines could be retired until now...)
Wagon retiring has been fixed since 2.5 b7.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

PikkaBird wrote:
and having freight cars dissapear from the purchause list (which was a feature I thought as impossible; only engines could be retired until now...)
Wagon retiring has been fixed since 2.5 b7.
wow! got to update then :D
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Thanks for the information, Pikkabrid! ;)

I realized that even loaded alone, the Japan set trains have a problem with the refitting, this must be a coding error: its value is always 128 food and paper. stevenh, thanks for ponting it! we'll take care of it for the next release.

But the retiring freight cars is a feature that we definately didn't include, so I don't know if that's a conflict with a GRF or with the patch itself.

Whatever it is, I'll see it to be solved!
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Oh, btw... I'm using the Alpine Climate if that's any help... [until the japanset landscape incorporates snow
And I didn't mind having my trains carry so much food! :P ]
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I thought the Japanese landscape does include snow? I have it, anyway.

We certainly should retire the early freight cars, no point in having some clunker from the 1920s still cluttering up your purchase list in 1990.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

krtaylor wrote:We certainly should retire the early freight cars, no point in having some clunker from the 1920s still cluttering up your purchase list in 1990.
You will be surprised of how many WAMU80000 (old steel 2-axle boxcar) are still used in Japan! :wink:
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Actually, I only saw two-axle box cars during construction or rotting on sidetracks, otherwise everything was on container trains, even most liquids. (Ok, there was the occasional tanker train). But during daylight I never saw a moving two axle box car in a freight train. (Of course it may be entirely possible, that they just not pass the Joban-Line or circle through Kyshu.)

Even in germany, many of the box cars are (unofficially) retired, and there the railway net is still used much more extensively for freight and more companies still have railway access. Most of the modern freight box cars are for chilled goods or big maschinery, since the handwork of putting things into box cars has become uneconomical. A container, you only need to pack once. Otherwise there would be no reason to built trains like cargosprinter or the freight mover.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

True, nowadays Japan is switching to container freight, but still WAMU80000 are uesd on many local and industrial lines!:

Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

You know? I was wondering...
If it was possible to have a switch to have 2 play modes for a GRF: "player" mode and "builder" mode.
The player mode just retires engines and cars as they get obsolete, or in their real life retirement date. This would be the default setting.
The builder mode mantains every vehicle to allow players to build their network with the engines and cars they like the best; disregarding the date. Only for guru railways fans!

Ah, by the way, I indeed saw some of these WAMU80000 the other day in my way to Biwa Lake. They were in some freight station near Kyoto.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Sanchimaru wrote:If it was possible to have a switch to have 2 play modes for a GRF: "player" mode and "builder" mode.
The player mode just retires engines and cars as they get obsolete, or in their real life retirement date. This would be the default setting.
The builder mode mantains every vehicle to allow players to build their network with the engines and cars they like the best; disregarding the date. Only for guru railways fans!
Isn't there a patch setting for that, something with obsolete engines, or sth... :?:

And btw, can wagons retire?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> And btw, can wagons retire?

Yes, wagons/coaches are able to "retire early" since Beta7, and o/c the way it is done can be handled .grf-specific, e.g., by setting a parameter.

regards
Michael
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

The problem with early retiering cancelling the persist engine switch was also fixed with beta 6 or 7.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I found out what the problem is with the shinkansen tracks. The person who edited in the japan grass did some horrible palette conversions, which resulted in loss of detail. Compare for instance the shinkansen tunnel entrances to the normal track ones. The reason that the track looks off is because the | | tile doesn't have grass on it so wasn't changed.

Whoever did that editing did a horrible job at it...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Ah. Well, I take it that it is fixable? Are you able to make the necessary changes?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

well if I have some grass sprites I can edit them in myself...

which ones should I use?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm actually thinking of doing my own graphical work on the landscaping (Gridless, anyone? The tracks and roads are already gridless, the JR stations are gridless, why not continue the trend?), add a bit more 3d'ness to the trees aswell.

If I can get the shinkansen tracks put into the landscape .grf and not in the trains .grf, I can fix them up aswell.

Although, I remember hearing that someone was re-working the Shinkansen tracks anyway, what's the story about that?

Sorry for my lack of coding lately, I've been working too much on my station sets recently, Japanset is my next priority.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!

Return to “Graphics Development”