Aquaduct GRF for nightly r1498.

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

michael blunck wrote:...
Well, in Dutch,

a "viaduct" is a bridge with a road (got the word "via" in it, which, IIRC means road in latin or something).
a "ecoduct" is a bridge with nature on it (for little animals to get from one forest to another, it got the word "eco" in it which obviously is related to ecology.
a "aquaduct" is a bridge with water on it. Wether this bridge is used to transport only water, or ships too, doesn't really matter I guess. We have a canal-aquaduct somewhere here, which actually transports ships.

After re-reading my post I wonder if it really adds anything, but ah well, can't really hurt to click submit now.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Purno wrote:[...]a "viaduct" is a bridge with a road (got the word "via" in it, which, IIRC means road in latin or something).
A "viaduct" is a bridge spanning only land (e.g., a valley) and having pillars. A "bridge" is spanning water, having pillars or not. 8)

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

michael blunck wrote:
Purno wrote:[...]a "viaduct" is a bridge with a road (got the word "via" in it, which, IIRC means road in latin or something).
A "viaduct" is a bridge spanning only land (e.g., a valley) and having pillars. A "bridge" is spanning water, having pillars or not. 8)

regards
Michael
But a river or other channel of water can be included in what's under the viaduct?

Stambermill Viaduct near Stourbridge spans a "valley"... -ish, but has a road passing under the arch nearest to the Stourbridge side of the viaduct, and a grassy area including the River Stour also passes under it.

I'll see if I can get an aerial view.

Here:
Google Map
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> But a river or other channel of water can be included in what's under the viaduct?

Yes, of course. Most valleys have some form of rivulets, rivers or streams included, so ...

IMO, the first aim of a viaduct is to span a "valley" (aka ground) with or without a river, but if something is spanning a river in the first place it´s called a bridge.

Nearly all of Switzerland´s "bridges" are viaducts and are named so, and (nearly) all of them include at least one piece of water too.

regards
Michael
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

JGR, Just checked your newest changes, and it works like a charm. All the clipping issues are gone!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I like the aqueduct, let there be no doubt but I wonder if constructing an aqueduct can result in additional changes to the landscape. It would be nice for example if the tile(s) 1 tile to the side of the viaduct and the tile(s) under the viaduct sunk 1 level automatically. But I'm afraid this is impossivle, right?
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

WhiteHand wrote:JGR, Just checked your newest changes, and it works like a charm. All the clipping issues are gone!
Actually it doesn't, if you have a vehicle above it the bridge 'section' will clip any vehicle on top of the bridge.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I've noticed a few annoying clipping errors are gone... And replaced by a few more clipping errors :P.

Ahh, what fun.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Aegir wrote:I've noticed a few annoying clipping errors are gone... And replaced by a few more clipping errors :P .

Ahh, what fun.
Yeah, that´s why Marcin once wrote:

"Fixing a sorting problem is as much design as trial and error, and you
can never be sure that it won't break in some unusual circumstances..."

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:
Aegir wrote:I've noticed a few annoying clipping errors are gone... And replaced by a few more clipping errors :P .

Ahh, what fun.
Yeah, that´s why Marcin once wrote:

"Fixing a sorting problem is as much design as trial and error, and you
can never be sure that it won't break in some unusual circumstances..."

regards
Michael
Microsoft S.O.P. - "Create a bug to fix a bug" :lol:
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Born Acorn wrote:Pronounce this if you can! (I can't!) :p
that is exactly what I would like!!! :D
only thing is it doesnt show you the other side, where the handrail and bridlepath is :(
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Just saw this topic now.... very nice looking work, guys. :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I´m just playing around with the new aquaduct feature, using r1518, but I still get nasty sorter issues.

regards
Michael
Attachments
sorter_2.png
sorter_2.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
sorter_1.png
sorter_1.png (9 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:I´m just playing around with the new aquaduct feature, using r1518, but I still get nasty sorter issues.

regards
Michael
Hmmm ... I wonder how that canal boat got out of your laboratory ... you must have accidentaly left the cage open. :lol: Looks nice though. 8)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Michael Blunk:
I can reproduce the latter bug, but not the former.
Is the former bug easily reproducable or does it occur rarely. Does it only occur at certain locations (ie. at certain altitudes) or does it only occur with certain vehicles, (unusually high wagons, short wagons?), etc. Also does it occur with my GRF as well?
As I can't see it happen I can't effectively fix it, I suspect however that it might be to do with the width extent of the canal bridge tile sprite bounding box, (as I previously reduced it to curb the more excessive clipping errors with higher bridges and nearby buildings), but I'm reluctant to change it now as it will probably reintroduce some of the old clipper bugs. :(

The latter bug I have tried to fix before but not got very far, I may declare war on the sprite sorting algorithm once again though...

Thanks for pointing it out.

JGR
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote:Hmmm ... I wonder how that canal boat got out of your laboratory ... you must have accidentaly left the cage open.
That must have happend when I left my PC for a couple of minutes to get me a new beer. Oh dear ... again ... try to ignore the attachment. 8)
JGR wrote:Is the former bug easily reproducable or does it occur rarely. Does it only occur at certain locations (ie. at certain altitudes) or does it only occur with certain vehicles, (unusually high wagons, short wagons?), etc. Also does it occur with my GRF as well?
Well, it´s easily reproducable, occurs at all locations (which I´ve already tested), with all vehicles (the one in question has standard height and length), and it does occur with your .grf as well.

> Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for adding so many impressive new features to the patch.

regards
Michael
Attachments
sorter_3.png
sorter_3.png (13.34 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Heh... Maybe it's just me... But it looks like the section of the aqueduct is sitting on the train... What would happen when it moved? :shock:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Michael Blunk:
Would you mind posting your ttdpatch.cfg file.
In particular if you have higher bridges or build on slopes turned off, try turning them on, and see if there is an improvement.

JGR
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> [....] it looks like the section of the aqueduct is sitting on the train... What would happen when it moved?

Yeah, interesting question. Like with the other issue (water ontop of ships), the sorter "flips" views, i.e., in the next game cycle, everything is OK, i.e. the bridge segment is drawn correctly over the wagon ...

What makes me thinking is that there seems to be some connection with the "free length" of those faulty depicted vehicles (the wagon in this case). In the picture, you can see that the wagon isn´t clipped at all as long as he´s *before* the bridge segment. Only when entering *under* the bridge it got correctly clipped ... [JGR, are you listening?]

BTW, the same issue is present with flat wagons but not to this extent, o/c.

[edit: here is the ttdpatch.cfg file]

regards
Michael
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
(7 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by michael blunck on 24 Apr 2007 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

AndersI wrote:Now all you've got to fix is bridges over aqueducts and we can model the interesting crossing in Håverud, Sweden. Road and rail (on separate bridges) cross over the aqueduct, and all three cross the stream!

Nice work, JGR!
Ooh... I really LOVE that second pic.. :shock: Hope that'll be possible soon in TTDP :P But I'll see what time can give us :)

Return to “Graphics Development”