North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... OpenTTD implementation of drive through bus/truck stops ...
In addition to the road base tile, there are 2 sprites used for each bus/truck stop and direction; i.e. 8 in total. One for the furniture on the rear side walk and one for the front sidewalk. The base sprite is the normal city road tile or its replacement.

Both diamonds would have to go with the furniture of the rear sprite, otherwise the buses would go under them. And yes, they would already be there in 1920.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I'm a little unclear here. I can change them for OTTD, but not TTDP?
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:I'm a little unclear here. I can change them for OTTD, but not TTDP?
In OpenTTD, we provide a new roadstop.grf, just as we do with any other new graphics. But in TTDPatch, there is no action-05 support, neither is there a grf that contains the sprites for the drive through bus/truck stops. It uses existing sprites from trg1r.grf. If you were to change them, they'd turn up in station windows as cargo icons too. The ones used, I believe, are the sprites for goods and oil cargo.

BTW, new tram tracks and tram stops can be implemented using action-05.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Actually I am about to implement Action 5 support for that sort of thing, which will work a little better...

... And I just did. Specs are on the Wiki.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Dunno if this will help, but I've cut the stop into sprites. I'm hoping that the whole sidewalk can be used as furniture, otherwise all of my shading will disappear. :(

Pity about how TTDP handles the bus stop sprites. Well, anyways, OTTD players can use them. :)
Attachments
Bus Stop Sprites.png
Bus Stop Sprites.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

in the TTDP roadstops there is a tiny white sign on the lamp post, to differentiate it from the other lamp posts. so could that be changed?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Oz wrote:... I'm hoping that the whole sidewalk can be used as furniture, otherwise all of my shading will disappear. ...
They are looking good, and I cannot see why the sidewalk could not be included as is. I'll add those bus/truck stops to the US Roads set for OpenTTD players.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Just curious ...
Csaboka and Zimmlock were able to have the RV depot change at a certain point in the game's timeline. Why is this not possible for the stations/stops as well?
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

wallyweb wrote: ... Csaboka and Zimmlock were able to have the RV depot change at a certain point in the game's timeline. Why is this not possible for the stations/stops as well?
If they could do it, so can we. The question is how ? I'll investigate.

In the meantime, here is the US Roads Set, nearly finished, just a few minor problems to sort out - testing will start tomorrow (for wallyweb, about 24 hours from now), everybody is invited.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

OzTransLtd, great work..

I love this set :)

But what about tunnels??

It would be very nice if they would also get changed ;)

Edit: Oh and maglev is also supported?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Digitalfox wrote:OzTransLtd, great work..
Indeed! This is fantastic, and quick!
Digitalfox wrote: But what about tunnels??
What do you have in mind?
Digitalfox wrote:
Edit: Oh and maglev is also supported?
Indeed! I sent the sprites for coding.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

OzTransLtd wrote:If they could do it, so can we. The question is how ? I'll investigate.
Using an action A guarded by an action 7 checking variable 81, I believe.

81, which is sorta-halfway-not-really-documented, because, until recently, no one had figured out how it would be useful in that context, contains the current year (1 byte, base 1920). So, the grf will have to be re-activated to update the graphics, but other than that, it works.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:
OzTransLtd wrote:If they could do it, so can we. The question is how ? I'll investigate.
Using an action A guarded by an action 7 checking variable 81, I believe.

81, which is sorta-halfway-not-really-documented, because, until recently, no one had figured out how it would be useful in that context, contains the current year (1 byte, base 1920). So, the grf will have to be re-activated to update the graphics, but other than that, it works.
.. which is a lot more realistic than having the graphics magically flip into the newer ones at a certain point in time. Last I heard it cost money to tear down an old station and then it cost even more money to put up a replacement, or at least that's what the contractors were saying to the mayor and councilors over at city hall the other night.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Looks great, and I see that it works in both left-drive and right-drive modes! At least, I'm assuming that it isn't left-side-only. :lol:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Lifeblood, something like the tunnels in ttrs3, that also change with time :D
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... is this or that feature supported ? ...
Yes, everything mentioned is supported. I couldn't possible do screen shots of everything. See below for details.
... changing sprites over time ...
wallyweb has opened a can of worms ... now, we know how to access the current date, when a game is started or resumed. I hate those undocumented features. Yes, you can have sprites changing over time; e.g. our drive through bus stops could be without diamonds in earlier years and have them added in later years. For starters I have implemented these as pre/post 1950 (see pic below).

Such a changeover will only happen if you reload a saved game. At that time the date can be checked and the relevant sprites loaded. I would say, a player will not play a game in one session anyway; therefore, when a game is reloaded and the time is right different sprites can be shown.

If anyone wants roads and related features change over time get your pencils sharpened, or would that be the mouse pointer.
... US Roads Set v0.86 ...
Meet the new US Roads Set v0.86. It's not the final update yet; but we need you to test it in the various situations it is going to be used. Once the Canadian Trains Set v0.3 will be released, there will be a further update. This will then make the 2 sets compatible as far as the road/rail bridges are concerned.

There will also be a DOS-version a little bit later.

What does it do ?

It's a comprehensive road system replacement set, that is not just for the US/Canadian market. It is equally at home anywhere in the world.

It caters for left and right traffic side and all normal climates; i.e. Temperate, Arctic and Sub-tropical.

As far as rail crossings are concerned, it caters for all standard rail track systems; i.e. normal, electrified, monorail and maglev. In addition it is compatible with NGRails (narrow gauge track system) and Pikka's Viaduct Bridge (pb_viaduct.grf).

It is not just for TTDPatch, It is also fully compatible with OpenTTD.

What is new ?

Almost all sprites had a face lift in one way or another; there were also a lot of sprites missing, like left traffic side, icons and cursors.

The bus and truck stations have been reworked fully by lifeblood.

The drive through bus and truck stops by Oz have also be included, but sadly only for OpenTTD players.

The set was recoded from scratch and made fully compatible for OpenTTD, NGRails and Pikka's Viaduct Bridge.

What do you need to know ?

If you are using any of the following sets : Canadian Trains Set (v0.2g), NGRails (v0.92) or pb_viaduct with the US Roads Set then the following is the required sequence of your entries in newgrf.cfg or openttd.cfg (or NewGRF settings) :

1)pb_viaduct.grf
2)NGRails[w].grf [rail track system to replace]
3)CanSet[w].grf
4)USRoads[w].grf

As with the previous set, the first (and only) parameter (if specified) will not replace the bridges. 0 (default) = bridges are replaced, any other value bridges are not replaced.

Known issues :

Currently the CanSet v0.2g needs to be placed before the USRoads[w].grf in the newgrf.cfg, otherwise you'll get incorrect narrow gauge rail crossings. This will be fixed with CanSet v0.3.

The current version of Pikka's Viaduct bridge does not correctly identify the status of the US Roads Set and does not support left traffic side for the viaduct ramps with US Roads. These problems have been fixed (updated version is attached below).

@Pikkabird – I've changed the cond-type in sprite 51 from 06 to 09 and added the sprites for left traffic side. Maybe you can update your set.

Happy testing and report any issues here.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Do you want me to post these on the US Set website, or wait a bit for any bug reports?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Bra-frickin'-vo, OzTrans! :bow:

Since we're on the topic of sprites changing over time, I was doodling this evening while half watching the Red Sox game, and came up with some early 20th century bus terminals. They're kinda fancy-schmancy, but so was the architecture at the time. Like 'em? Wanna use 'em? BTW: the signs are in company colors. Too subtle?

Cheers!
Attachments
Early Bus Terms.png
Early Bus Terms.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Oz wrote:Bra-frickin'-vo, OzTrans! :bow:

Since we're on the topic of sprites changing over time, I was doodling this evening while half watching the Red Sox game, and came up with some early 20th century bus terminals. They're kinda fancy-schmancy, but so was the architecture at the time. Like 'em? Wanna use 'em? BTW: the signs are in company colors. Too subtle?

Cheers!
Bra-frickin'-vo, Oz! :bow: :bow:
Perhaps use one of the brighter company colours for demo purposes.
I'm assuming that is a wrought iron railing around the top of the walls, with the thought that it could be company coloured too, but then if this is for Henry Ford's era, "Any colour you want as long as it is black" comes to mind ... Speaking of whom, I can just picture those stations with a couple of model T's jostling for passengers. :wink:
OzTransLtd wrote:wallyweb has opened a can of worms ...
... and it looks like the fish took the bait. 8) :lol:
Now that we have you hooked, perhaps, for those good ol' days, older styled roads with no lines?
I'll go and hide now. :wink:
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

krtaylor wrote:Do you want me to post these on the US Set website, or wait a bit for any bug reports?
This is a sort of a pre-release. It has been a bit difficult for me to test all possible situations. I'll let you know once I consider this set done and ready for general use.
Oz wrote: ... early style bus terminals ...
just let those ideas come out ... once we have a consensus we can update the set to a multi generation road set.

@lifeblood, I'm sorry, but I think there is a bit of work coming your way ...

Return to “Graphics Development”