"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Post by Snail »

Yes, it is possible and some people are doing it... however, since TTD wasn't really designed to do that, we decided to stick with standard sizes for this set.
I personally would have liked to draw trains like you did (they look more realistic), but the glitches they would incur into when on slopes or curves put me off (you would have wagons that bend in curves, or that get clipped so much that they would look as if they were derailing at each curve).
So, if you want your creations to be included in the set, you should follow standard measures... as for shading and detailing, they will come with experience ;) you should just start working on them.

On the other hand, I think following TTD's palette is a must for everyone... isn't it? :roll:
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Th0m@s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Th0m@s »

Hello ,

But the loco is very long , i can't do it in 32px . Else , it very very small and not beautiful .

If you want you can use my draws :D .

Good suite .

:))
I'm french sorry for my bad english .

http://www.unrealcreation.o-n.fr
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Th0m@s wrote:But the loco is very long , i can't do it in 32px . Else , it very very small and not beautiful .
That's how TT has always been...
That's how every other TT trainset out there does it...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, there was a Russian one that tried to experiment with doing what you're talking about. It did not work too well. The game just isn't designed to work that way.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Snail wrote:the CC7100 I drew time ago
Texturing, colour and shape look very good.

However, I feel the engine a bit too high in _ direction?

I always had some "lower" engines in the DB set (rather inconsistent ...), and I think that DanMack´s are also one pixel lower.

I simply removed one line (just to give an example of the new height):
cc7100.png
cc7100.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
How about that?

regards
Michael
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

krtaylor wrote:Well, there was a Russian one that tried to experiment with doing what you're talking about. It did not work too well. The game just isn't designed to work that way.
I recall the CSSet also had most coaches and 'MU at a non-standard length. Some of 'em even used two slots to let a coach have a passenger and mail compartment at the same time. A very intelligent way to do things IMO.
However, I think the French set is better off with standard lengths.
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Th0m@s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Th0m@s »

Hello ,

I have find the Newgrf , this the americain train set . :D
And the loco are long and i haven't no problem .

Good bye .
I'm french sorry for my bad english .

http://www.unrealcreation.o-n.fr
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

That's because the "long" locos are actually two or even three separate pieces. Watch them when they go around corners - they split in half. You could do the same thing with a passenger car if you wished, but it would look strange.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

The way we did it in the NARS with the Centennial was to code it as a multipart (3 unit) loco, but have a single sprite. The clipping isn't bad at all, and it actually looks pretty normal for TTD. I'm all for longer vehicles, especially if it works like this... but it would be a big step in TTD evolution, that's for sure.
Attachments
Hills and curves look relatively normal
Hills and curves look relatively normal
Hill-curve-1.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
A little bit of brief clipping on curves, nothing major
A little bit of brief clipping on curves, nothing major
Clipping - a bit.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Going up an incline, looks rather normal, no clipping
Going up an incline, looks rather normal, no clipping
Hill.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

I did some tests with some real size imports from 3dsmax:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p754305

The clipping isn't really that bad, only a little bit on the slopes.

The only big problem atm. is coupling this trains with carriages from other normal sets. When I do this they will attach in the middle of the loco instead of the end.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

DanMack, your locomotive is interesting! I guess you technically coded it as a 3-part vehicle, but only assigned the sprite to the first (or middle?) part, right?
So far, the FRSet only has one locomotive that's longer than the standard length: it's the 2CC2 3400 of 1929, almost 24 meters long. I drew it as a two-part articulated engine, intended to be coded in two separate sprites therefore bending in half in curves, but DM's good results show that there might be a better way of coding it.

Theoretically, one could extend this to passenger carriages as well. What I would like to avoid for this set, is to have engines of the same length as carriages (very unrealistic). Perhaps drawing a 40-pixel-long pax carriage and code it in a similar way as DM suggested might have acceptable results in terms of proportions and looks in curves and bends. It might not be perfect, but I guess it could be worth a try... What do you think?

Of course, this would make it problematic to use different train sets at the same time. But that's a whole other can of worms. This set will not be intended to work with other sets as well (of course people will be able to use it like that, but at their own risk).

MB: Yours is a good point. I also hesitated a bit when it came to setting my electric locomotives' height. When you say inconsistent, you mean that not all of your locos have the same height, right? This is something I do with my steamers... I usually define different combinations of boiler and cab height to give the overall impression of how large and hefty the engine is. I'm attaching a sketch that shows three different sizes for different locomotives. Shunters and NG locos are even smaller, btw.
As for electrics, the variant you proposed probably gives a better idea of the proportions of the loco (it correctly looks longer), but then I guess the panto would need to be redrawn, because it wouldn't probably touch the catenary wire anymore. Another thing that put me off is that, by lowering it by one pixel, the sides would become 5 pixel high instead of 6. That's a 1/6 reduction in drawing area, which constraints even more the shading and detailing possibilities. And with crocodile-shaped engines, this would be even trickier. Do you have any particular criteria you use to set the height of your engines?
This issue is of course is strictly connected to defining the height of wagons, as well...
Attachments
Large (231C), medium (230D), small (140A)
Large (231C), medium (230D), small (140A)
threesizes.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Snail wrote:but DM's good results show that there might be a better way of coding it.
you can see the problem description here (it is the same for RVs and trains): http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41357
Image Image Image Image
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Some of the articulated locomotives such as the Challenger, Big Boy, etc. had the front section on a separate frame. On a sharp curve, it would actually leave the boiler hanging out to the outside of the curve. If you were drawing one of these as a three-part, if you kept the boiler as part of the middle sprite and let it "hang out" over the running gear, that would actually be accurate.
Who is John Galt?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

ostlandr wrote:Some of the articulated locomotives such as the Challenger, Big Boy, etc. had the front section on a separate frame. On a sharp curve, it would actually leave the boiler hanging out to the outside of the curve. If you were drawing one of these as a three-part, if you kept the boiler as part of the middle sprite and let it "hang out" over the running gear, that would actually be accurate.
Also done in NARS, with the Challenger and Mallet. ;)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

trainboy2004 wrote: The only big problem atm. is coupling this trains with carriages from other normal sets. When I do this they will attach in the middle of the loco instead of the end.

You need to make it articulated, and not multihead. I can help you with that if you want to
Member of the
ImageImage
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

New Train for your set!

Hi, I'm french, and i live in eastern of France. I was draw an AGC (Automotrice à Grande Capacité=DMU hight Capacity) with colors of Franche Comté.

photo: wikipédia français: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/TER_Franche-Comt%C3%A9
photo AGV Z27590 In "Arc et Senans" station (at home!)
Fiche Technique:

puissance: 1244 Kw/h = 1800 chevaux
alimentation: Diesel / Electrique: 25 KV ~
Vitesse Max: 160 Km/H
Vitesse moyenne: 120 to 140 km/H
Capacité: 160 passagers (places assises)
Coût d'achat: 1 800 000€ HT (valeur réelle)
Coût d'entretien: 15.50€/km et 22€ dans une gare! (valeur calculé par le conseil régional) 15.5€/case parcourue 22€ dans les gares
Fiabilités: +/- 90%

Informations complémantaires:

constructeur: Bombardier
Acheté par la Région Franche Comté en 2007
Nombre de train acheté par la région: 5 rames électriques et 3 rames diesels.
(i can draw but i don't now code a .nfo file!)
Yes, i now: i have very bad english! sorry!
CHANTIERS INTERNATIONAUX DE JEUNES BENEVOLES
+ d'info: http://www.accjura.fr
Draw and code by himself: aviable only if i understant actions codes! lol
Hypolite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hypolite »

Wow, it looks great ! :D

Apart from windows and doors black highlighting, it's perfect, with an original curved look :))

If I can help you improving your English :
Mister Me wrote:Hi, I'm french, and i live in eastern of France. I was draw an AGC (Automotrice à Grande Capacité=DMU hight Capacity) with colors of Franche Comté.
I live in eastern France.
I drew an AGC (High Capacity DMU) with Franche-Comté colors.
(i can draw but i don't now code a .nfo file!)
I can draw it but I don't know how to code a .nfo file.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Mister Me wrote:New Train for your set!

Hi, I'm french, and i live in eastern of France. I was draw an AGC (Automotrice à Grande Capacité=DMU hight Capacity) with colors of Franche Comté.

photo: wikipédia français: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/TER_Franche-Comt%C3%A9
photo AGV Z27590 In "Arc et Senans" station (at home!)
Though you're artwork looks pretty nice, unfortunately the sprites are too big for Transport Tycoon. Please read my drawing tutorials (link in sig) for info about sprite sizes, color palette and lighting effects.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Your scale is unfortunately completely off - more than twice as large as they should be. The width-length proportions are also not TTD-ish. In TTD the length will always have to be compressed, not realistic. See comparison picture:
Attachments
Example59.png
Example59.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Mister Me
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mister Me »

trops grands? bon ben... on va éssayer de réduire! (i will try drawn few size down!)
CHANTIERS INTERNATIONAUX DE JEUNES BENEVOLES
+ d'info: http://www.accjura.fr
Draw and code by himself: aviable only if i understant actions codes! lol

Return to “Graphics Development”