Prospective Prospecting Prospects!

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Prospective Prospecting Prospects!

Post by wallyweb »

Here is a challenge for the Patch developers. Perhaps even Patchman himself would rise to the occasion ... 8)

Having trouble with prospecting success? Getting too many "Sorry, but ..."'s?
This is starting to sound a lot like one of my nights out on the town.
I guess resource industries and ladies have something in common.
Got some extra money? Go to the local bar and flash the cash! The more you got, the more you get. Say what you want but there is a gold digger or two or three in every crowd.
So, why not do that with TTDX's resources?
Click "Prospect" and get an option to enter a money value (In the currency of your choice of course).
The larger the entered amount, the better your prospects for success. (Must be why they call it "prospecting").
Just don't complain to me if you get a date with a lady instead of an iron ore mine, ok? :mrgreen:
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Prospective Prospecting Prospects!

Post by The Irish »

There is the option to fund new buildings and there is the option to fund new industries.

In what way is your suggestion different to the above options? Except for the ladies, of course :wink:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I think Wally is suggesting that you can chose how much money you choose to invest in the prospecting with the idea that:
More money = More likely chance of success
Less money = Less likely chance of success.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The Irish wrote:There is the option to fund new buildings
That applies to towns and is done through the town window. It is not a part of my suggestion.
and there is the option to fund new industries.
That's the one. There are two parts to that window. Non-resource industries are purchased and this is always 100% effective.
On the other hand, resource industries are prospected for and there is a considerable chance for failure.
Ameecher wrote:I think Wally is suggesting that you can chose how much money you choose to invest in the prospecting with the idea that:
More money = More likely chance of success
Less money = Less likely chance of success.
That is correct. However George has told me that there is something similar already in effect, although its not quite what I had in mind.
Apparently, the more cash a player has on hand, the better the chances of prospecting success. It is even possible to get quite close to 100% (90%?) if one has enough money, but the actual cost remains the same.
Where my idea differs is that the player could increase the spend amount to increase his chances of success.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Should be as you say. I vote for your suggestion!!! :mrgreen:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I suggest you click the prospect button multiple times if you want a better chance of success.
wallyweb wrote:Apparently, the more cash a player has on hand, the better the chances of prospecting success.
I'm pretty sure TTDPatch wouldn't do something like this, and I don't think GRF authors have the necessary information.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:I suggest you click the prospect button multiple times if you want a better chance of success.
Before trying this you will need to do a

Code: Select all

cht: money [really big number here]
wallyweb wrote:Apparently, the more cash a player has on hand, the better the chances of prospecting success.
I'm pretty sure TTDPatch wouldn't do something like this,
Would TTDX do it?
... and I don't think GRF authors have the necessary information.
You mean the information actually exists somewhere?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:
DaleStan wrote:
I'm pretty sure TTDPatch wouldn't do something like this,
Would TTDX do it?
I don't believe TTDX supported/s prospecting for industries, only building secondary ones.
wallyweb wrote:
DaleStan wrote:... and I don't think GRF authors have the necessary information.
The necessary information to do it in NFO code would simply be the current player's total available funds. But that isn't available, and I forgot that the success chance is by property, not by callback, so even if the money were available, it couldn't be used to change the success chance.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

DaleStan wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
DaleStan wrote:... and I don't think GRF authors have the necessary information.
The necessary information to do it in NFO code would simply be the current player's total available funds. But that isn't available, and I forgot that the success chance is by property, not by callback, so even if the money were available, it couldn't be used to change the success chance.
Please, could someone make var 10 or 18 containing random number for callback 28? Then we can specify prop 20 to FF FF FF FF and change the success chance with callback 28 and random value in var 10 or 18. May be for callback 2F too?
Image Image Image Image
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

George wrote:Please, could someone make var 10 or 18 containing random number for callback 28? Then we can specify prop 20 to FF FF FF FF and change the success chance with callback 28 and random value in var 10 or 18. May be for callback 2F too?
I'm not sure a new random number would do any difference in regard of Wally's suggestion.
When looking at our code, anyway, the evaluation of the success for prospection itself is being performed outside of the actual industry construction.
I know, it does not bring anything to the debate.
I'd rather see something done outside of the callback itself.
It can be a new behaviour flag, the industry prop 1A, in fact. Yes, it is a 16 bits value, yes all the bits have been assigned. And yes, we can add another set of 8 or even 16 bits.
The new bit could be "use extra money to raise prospection chances". Or something in that line.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

belugas wrote:
George wrote:Please, could someone make var 10 or 18 containing random number for callback 28? Then we can specify prop 20 to FF FF FF FF and change the success chance with callback 28 and random value in var 10 or 18. May be for callback 2F too?
I'm not sure a new random number would do any difference in regard of Wally's suggestion.
When looking at our code, anyway, the evaluation of the success for prospection itself is being performed outside of the actual industry construction.
I know, it does not bring anything to the debate.
I'd rather see something done outside of the callback itself.
It can be a new behaviour flag, the industry prop 1A, in fact. Yes, it is a 16 bits value, yes all the bits have been assigned. And yes, we can add another set of 8 or even 16 bits.
The new bit could be "use extra money to raise prospection chances". Or something in that line.
1A is dword, isn't it?
http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... ehavior_1A_
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Suggestions”