2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2.6 nightly/alpha discussion

Post by wallyweb »

r2275 at http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest/ has .dos.zip, source.tar.bz2, source.tar.gz, source.zip, changelog.txt, and released.txt but no win32.zip. :shock:

If I promise to be a good boy, do you think Santa might have it by Christmas? :lol:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For what it's worth, I do have all the standard TTD executables - and even a few that are no doubt entirely incompatible with TTDPatch (Japanese, for instance). So if that's what's stopping a release, consider it no longer a problem. ;)

It might be worth poking Josef on IRC (who is still around now and then), if only just to see if he could assist with providing access to the server, etc. It would be good to see a 2.5 final out, and perhaps a 2.6 alpha 1 at some point!
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

They made TTD in Japanese?
Me wants.
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

orudge wrote:For what it's worth, I do have all the standard TTD executables - and even a few that are no doubt entirely incompatible with TTDPatch (Japanese, for instance). So if that's what's stopping a release, consider it no longer a problem. ;)
All bow to orudge :bow:
orudge wrote:It might be worth poking Josef on IRC (who is still around now and then), if only just to see if he could assist with providing access to the server, etc. It would be good to see a 2.5 final out, and perhaps a 2.6 alpha 1 at some point!
How often is he around and at what sort of times of the day?
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Ive caught patchman on IRC at various times. I think Japanese TTD was even for Mac but that may have been TTO.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Pookey wrote:How often is he around and at what sort of times of the day?
It's hard to really tell when Josef will be online - best really just to leave him a message, and stay on IRC, and he'll get back to you eventually.
robotboy wrote:Ive caught patchman on IRC at various times. I think Japanese TTD was even for Mac but that may have been TTO.
There was a version of TTO for the Mac - both in English and Japanese, although only the Japanese version was released. There was a Japanese version of TTD for Windows too (as well as demo version of that) - that's the version I have.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

wallyweb wrote:
eis_os wrote:- The discussion should be moved to a new topic -
I will see if I can find Lakie or a global moderator.
What would be a good subject line?
The discussion with Oskar (eis_os) and OzTransLtd has been moved to here.
ConiKost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ConiKost »

Anybody used the last time ttdpatch with the dos version?
I've the problem, I can't use the nightlys since r2160 anymore.

After this, I get this, when I try to start :(

TTDPatch: Failed to find string #0000 at 0024F104, found 02/01 at 00174A60 for oldfinishclosewindow in patchwindow2
Result: [Error!]
Press any key to end.

I am using the stock ttdpatch.cfg, which is created at first load of ttdpatch.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have also posted about this elsewhere. It definately happens on a DOS machine with no Windows on it.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

#tycoon wrote: [16:23] <roboboy> someone found the revision it started happening at
[16:23] <roboboy> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=874715#p874715
[16:24] <eis_os> Kill DaleStan...
[16:25] <weirdy> :p
[16:25] <weirdy> ok
[16:26] <eis_os> roboboy: you can look the changes yourself
[16:27] <eis_os> http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/changeset/2160 (press the previous/next revision buttons and you see DaleStan changed code)
[16:28] <roboboy> Just looking at the changelog and for that revision it's all his changes
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

So. Yes. That was my fault. Not that revision, but still my fault. As a warning, I am fixing it blind, but I think I got it right; the IDA DBs say I should be OK. (2338)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

DaleStan wrote:So. Yes. That was my fault. Not that revision, but still my fault. As a warning, I am fixing it blind, but I think I got it right; the IDA DBs say I should be OK. (2338)
Well it started and I generated a new game. I will test more when I get a better mouse.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

nitromeaga wrote:Nightly r733...
This is from where? Also, is there an error message, and if so, what does it say?
ConiKost
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ConiKost »

Are there any plans to make something like an 2.6 final in the future?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

After considerable poking about and posting in all the wrong places, it would seem that perhaps this is the logical place to pose my question:
Where is r2367 hiding?

When
DaleStan wrote:Committed to TTDPatch in r2367
one would have expected r2367 to have been available for download here but that page seems to be stuck on r2366.
I backed up a page to Development versions and selected "browse" which now takes me to a new page here.
"AHA!" I said to myself. "Progress!. r2367 must be available under that tab that says Files". :D
Not so fast Bubba! :P
As with Mother Hubbard, when I opened the cupboard, I found it to be bare. :cry:
Now, in a post on another forum page:
orudge wrote:The TTDPatch nightly problem is presumably due to the changes to the OpenTTD compile farm. You'd likely have to prod Rubidium about that.
. Hmmm.
OK ... sooo ... Rubidium, where is r2367 hiding? :mrgreen:
PS. Owen suggested I ask you. 8)
UPDATE:
FooBar wrote:For quite a while now (I don't know the exact date, but it's more in the order of years than months), TTDPatch nightlies are built by OpenTTD's server (which also build OpenTTD nightlies).
A couple of months back, this server was changed and new software to build the nightlies was written. However this software contained some bugs; OpenTTD builds didn't work on all Windowses and now it appears that TTDPatch doesn't build at all.
So r2367 isn't hiding, it just doesn't exist as nightly release.

This bug wasn't discovered before, as there hasn't been an update to TTDPatch since January or so.
... The creation of TTDPatch nightly releases are managed by the OpenTTD guys. I'm sure someone will look into this any time soon.
Thank you for your excellent reply. It properly answers my question. :D
Perhaps when the fix is in someone could post a notice in this forum. 8)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Is the Patch even still in development anymore? Looks like there haven't been any new nightlies since January.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:Is the Patch even still in development anymore? Looks like there haven't been any new nightlies since January.
DaleStan committed r2367 about a month ago, but apparently the TTDPatch compile farm is maintained by the OpenTTD compiler team and when they upgraded their compiler they had to fix some problems. The OpenTTD part got fixed. The TTDPatch part was left until somebody tried to commit a new nightly. Now we are waiting for the OpenTTD folks to find and apply a fix.
The Patch has to be considered as in development as long as the most recent version is a nightly and as long as there are players who want to use it. Unfortunately most of the developers have moved on to other interests. :roll:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, well... And I'd be strongly tempted to move on to OTTD too, if only they'd finally include advanced signalling! That's so complex and so cool that I just don't understand why it's never properly made it into OTTD, for which the coding should be so much easier.

Still, how many other 20-year-old computer games are still under even semi-active development?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The various OTTD pathfinders are much better, and most users find complicated features intimidating, which is why TTDP-style restricted/programmable signals won't ever find their way into the OpenTTD trunk.
However, an implementation of programmable signals is available as a patch, and is included in Chill's Patchpack (which is what I play).
I've never played OTTD trunk, and you shouldn't let the lack of such features put you off when the code is so easy to patch (even if savegame/patch compatibility is utterly crap).

As for TTDP development or the lack thereof, it has become too difficult to continue adding new features relative to the tiny userbase who might benefit and the relative ease by which features can be added to OTTD, which has definitively overtaken TTDP in most areas.
No new developers have stepped up since I joined, as far as I can tell, and I no longer have the motivation to spend my time on this project. I stopped playing TTDP when I "finished" my long-running game, for which many of the features I added were specifically aimed at.

As for 20 year old games under development, I play Total Annihilation from time to time, which is about 16 years of age now, and mod packs, a replacement engine, etc for that are very much active development and will be for quite some time, I suspect.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

JGR wrote:The various OTTD pathfinders are much better, and most users find complicated features intimidating, which is why TTDP-style restricted/programmable signals won't ever find their way into the OpenTTD trunk.
However, an implementation of programmable signals is available as a patch, and is included in Chill's Patchpack (which is what I play).
Well, I for one, enjoy the degree of control that TTDPatch's signalling provides for me. That said, it is good that something is available via Chill's Patchpack. 8)
I've never played OTTD trunk, and you shouldn't let the lack of such features put you off when the code is so easy to patch (even if savegame/patch compatibility is utterly crap).
This assumes that one has the technical expertise to author such a patch or is able to enlist the services of someone willing to take on the challenge. Of course this is also true of TTDPatch. :wink:
As for TTDP development or the lack thereof, it has become too difficult to continue adding new features relative to the tiny userbase who might benefit and the relative ease by which features can be added to OTTD, which has definitively overtaken TTDP in most areas.
It's not so much a question of new TTDPatch features as it is one of maintenance such as DaleStan's recent attempt (r2367) which failed due to a broken TTDPatch compiler farm which just happens to be hosted by the OpenTTD complilation server. :cry:
No new developers have stepped up since I joined, as far as I can tell, and I no longer have the motivation to spend my time on this project. I stopped playing TTDP when I "finished" my long-running game, for which many of the features I added were specifically aimed at.
This is perfectly understandable. :)
As for 20 year old games under development, I play Total Annihilation from time to time, which is about 16 years of age now, and mod packs, a replacement engine, etc for that are very much active development and will be for quite some time, I suspect.
The perseverance of the best of the best. 8)
There is no doubt that OpenTTD should be the competitive player's choice. Until features such as the reality offered by custom bridgeheads reach OpenTTD, in my opinion (and that of several others) TTDPatch remains the scenario creator's venue of choice.

Return to “General TTDPatch”