Articulated Road Vehicles

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Articulated Road Vehicles

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:I can't speak for OTTD but Articulated RV's is seriously broken in TTDPatch and nobody seems to be motivated to take the bull by the horns and fix it.
Watch it. Some of us have been gored by that bull and have no interest in seeing it again.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:
wallyweb wrote:I can't speak for OTTD but Articulated RV's is seriously broken in TTDPatch and nobody seems to be motivated to take the bull by the horns and fix it.
Watch it. Some of us have been gored by that bull and have no interest in seeing it again.
/me hides the red cape :wink:
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

If you feel its that simple, please, be my guest to fix it.
I don't have much free time to try and workout how to fix Articulated Road Vehicles, and Steven gave up on them long ago.
I have tried asking OpenTTD for some help, such as the logic they used to implement it, but those developers ignored me.

Also remember that we aren't paid to do this, so there isn't any need or motivation, and its a bit rich to demand something of someone else's free time. ;)
That said, I've not really had much interest in Patch developing since I moved to Vista, and patchdeving is a bit of a pain to do on it.

[Edit] Depending on how refitting is done (don't have the source so I'm not sure), if all vehicle types go through the same subroutine one could add a check for ArticRVs (basically is the switch on and is this vehicle a road vehicle), and then have it run the train code, as the consist structure should be almost the same*...

* - Only the NextUnit and Articulation Type are the same to my knowlage, which should be enough.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Lakie wrote:If you feel its that simple, please, be my guest to fix it.
Sorry Lakie, but nobody said it was simple and if I had assembly skills, yes, I would give it a shot.
I have tried asking OpenTTD for some help, such as the logic they used to implement it, but those developers ignored me.
Seems DaleStan had a thought here and Maedhros responded here
Also remember that we aren't paid to do this, so there isn't any need or motivation, and its a bit rich to demand something of someone else's free time.
Nobody said anything about money and the motivation is the love of the game and how the Patch makes it so much more enjoyable.
That said, I've not really had much interest in Patch developing since I moved to Vista, and patchdeving is a bit of a pain to do on it.
Mr.Gates and Mr.Balmer! Are you listening?
[Edit] Depending on how refitting is done (don't have the source so I'm not sure), if all vehicle types go through the same subroutine one could add a check for ArticRVs (basically is the switch on and is this vehicle a road vehicle), and then have it run the train code, as the consist structure should be almost the same*...

* - Only the NextUnit and Articulation Type are the same to my knowlage, which should be enough.

~ Lakie
That's the spirit! :wink:

Sorry for the rant Lakie and DaleStan, but my frustrations got the better of me. I do realize that deving can be a bit of a chore at times but when you folks deliver the goods, I can assure you that my appreciation for your efforts are number one. Must be why I'm still hot on the Patch instead of OTTD. :bow:
pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pETe! »

r1830 crashes with Articulated RVs on just after the startup.
(I cannot find a Crashlog, does nighlies not create one?)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

pETe! wrote:r1830 crashes with Articulated RVs on just after the startup.
(I cannot find a Crashlog, does nighlies not create one?)
I am running r1830 with articulatedrvs on without any crashes. Which RV set are you using and did you try starting your game without it?
Doclouis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doclouis »

In your ttdpatch.cfg file try setting the last digit of the curves and mountains parameters to 0.
I tried this in version 1832. The trams will appear as the first unit only. When I try to trash them later, the game stalls... :cry: It's really a pitty, that these articulated trams won't work with everyone's version!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Doclouis wrote:
In your ttdpatch.cfg file try setting the last digit of the curves and mountains parameters to 0.
I tried this in version 1832. The trams will appear as the first unit only. When I try to trash them later, the game stalls... :cry: It's really a pitty, that these articulated trams won't work with everyone's version!
To trash articulated RVs first send the aRV to a depot. Next, clear its order list. You should now be able to trash it.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Wally, Do you not have the problem that after some gameyears, during the 1950-1960 period, your new aRVs can no longer be built?

In my games, the all work fine in the early years, I can build double trams and articulated trams etc. all running fine, but when I try to build new ones later on in the game, it always just shows the first carriage of a tram, the rest not. That's driving around, I mean. In the vehicle window itself, all parts are shown.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Daft question but how many road vehicles are in the game?
(I know the older versions would give each unit a road vehicle id which could give issues later as you had closer to 240), but I believe I fixed that bug a while back...

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The Irish wrote:Wally, Do you not have the problem that after some gameyears, during the 1950-1960 period, your new aRVs can no longer be built?
I've been staying away from the aRVs because of refit fits giving me fits. I'll have to take another look at it. Give me a day or two to get some appropriate files together and check my patch.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Lakie wrote:Daft question but how many road vehicles are in the game?
(I know the older versions would give each unit a road vehicle id which could give issues later as you had closer to 240), but I believe I fixed that bug a while back...

~ Lakie
Hi Lakie,
I'm at 270 RVs. And I'm running a rather up to date nightly (1832, to be exact). You think it has something to do with the 240 limit?
I must give it a try.
I let you know.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

pETe! wrote:(I cannot find a Crashlog, does nighlies not create one?)
Not getting a crashlog is a common problem, so there's a well documented workaround. See my .sig.
wallyweb wrote:To trash articulated RVs first send the aRV to a depot. Next, clear its order list. You should now be able to trash it.
I thought that bug was fixed some time ago. If it still happens, re-report it.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:I thought that bug was fixed some time ago. If it still happens, re-report it.
I thought so too, but I haven't used aRVs for a while. Definitely it was ok the last time I used them. Maybe the bug snuck back in. I'll have to get up a game with aRVs and give it a look-see ... But not at the moment as I'm tied up with another "Project".
pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pETe! »

wallyweb wrote:
pETe! wrote:r1830 crashes with Articulated RVs on just after the startup.
I am running r1830 with articulatedrvs on without any crashes. Which RV set are you using and did you try starting your game without it?
I have tried it again with r1836 without any grfs.
I have also tried to dele ttdload.ovl.
The Game crashes, probably after the skipped intro with articulatedrvs on.
If a switch articulatedrvs off, TTDP will start up normaly w/o any crash.

game version is "3.02.011 11th October 1996 17:13:10"

I attached crashlog and ttdpatch.cfg.
Attachments
CRASH002.TXT
crashlog with arcticulatedrvs on
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
ttdpatch.cfg
(37.21 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, I can spot one thing you're doing wrong. With articulatedrvs on, the last digit of both mountains and curves must be 0.

Not that I expect that this will fix the problem, as I have it set to that and arv on doesn't crash for me.

The crash is, yet again, in initourtextptr.nexttext, and yet again, I can't reproduce it.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I haven't kept up with this, but does refitting aRVs work? I noticed that the code for refitting seems to have checks for Road Vehicles and loops to go through the consist of roadvehicles.

~ Lakie
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Lakie wrote:... does refitting aRVs work?
Not yet. :cry:
aRV_Refit.png
aRV_Refit.png (57.18 KiB) Viewed 3881 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Seems to work fine here, although I do notice it doesn't care about if the vehicle's attached can refit to that cargo type though which is a minor issue.
If someone ever does fix it, it should ideally use the same subroutine as trains (so that a multiple id consist / cargo type can work) but I just can't work out how to do that (yet) so you'll have to wait. :cry:

On the downside it crashes upon destroying of an articulated road vehicle, I'll look at fixing this first as its more important bug.

~ Lakie
Attachments
I see no issues with refitting.
I see no issues with refitting.
Refitted Articulated Road Vehicles.png (106.73 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Thanks Lakie. I'm using Generic Road Vehicles grvts.grf version from 12/02/07, and my patch is the latest and greatest nightly. I've attached my patch config. Do any of my settings vary from yours?

As for the crashing when trashing, that only happens if I don't clear the orders first.
Attachments
ttdpatch.cfg
(37.36 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Return to “General TTDPatch”