[Community Help Needed] What is this tree called?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

michiyl
Engineer
Engineer

[Community Help Needed] What is this tree called?

Post by michiyl »

Greetings (O)TTD community!

Some of you might already know me as the creator of a video called "3D OpenTTD - What It Could Look Like" on YouTube, and as such I do need the help of you. Yes, YOU!

The second animation's part 1 (of 5) is ALMOST finished, but as my brother and thus "creative consultant" (means that he HAS to give me an opinion about a certain model when I ask him ^^) pointed out:
"That's a creepy tree you got there."

The issue is with this tree:
(trg1r sprite # 1663)

My previous two attempts at modelling these pixels into a 3D model didn't turn out so well, so I tried searching for photos of the real-life equivalent - but without a name and just the color, it's quite hard to be successful.

Sooo ... if you know what this particular tree is called, please tell me so that I can search for photos of the real one, and in turn being able to improve and finish the whole scene a lot faster!
Image ImageAnimation 2 :: part 2 / 5 finished :: current task: planning part 3 ~2%
michiyl
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Community Help Needed] What is this tree called?

Post by michiyl »

So, it MIGHT be a red maple tree, red american sweetgum tree or perhaps even this one?

In any case I'm not so sure about this - anything about THIS problem google might have an answer for?, Bob? :)
Image ImageAnimation 2 :: part 2 / 5 finished :: current task: planning part 3 ~2%
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I bet Simon just started drawing a tree, and ended up with this. Not based on any real life tree at all.
michiyl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by michiyl »

FooBar wrote:I bet Simon just started drawing a tree, and ended up with this. Not based on any real life tree at all.
Having read your reply yesterday (I was like :shock: ) I started to consider what you said ... so I modelled just a veeery basic version of this tree, and I am happy with it (as is my creative consultant ^^) - thanks a lot! :D

Return to “Graphics Development”