New to transport tycoon

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lucas92
Engineer
Engineer

New to transport tycoon

Post by lucas92 »

Alright, I've followed the basic tutorials on the wikipedia, but I wanna know some tips on how to start out a company. Do I build right away double rail stations, when should I take loans, etc.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: New to transport tycoon

Post by Zuu »

Take loans when you need money. If the maximum loans are all but at the lowest levels you can start with double rails in general.

Try to join a multiplayer server as spectator or download some AIs from the content download system. and watch them building. After you have downloaded the AIs make sure that the number of AIs in the difficulty settings is non-zero. If you want to specify which AIs to include in the game and fine tune their settings you can do that in the AI settings window.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

What I usually do is look up a cluster of coal mines (using the map) not too far from a power station. Start by a single track connecting the power station to a coal mine some 30 tiles away. Keep in mind that you'll be doubling the track any time soon. Add a train and start generating income.

Now it's time for the next coal mine. Pick one slightly further away, but so that you can reuse most of the track you just built. Add an extra platform at the power station and branch towards the new coal mine using as much of the existing track as possible. Add signals and an extra train.

Continue with the next coal mine. Start thinking about doubling some track or adding bits where trains can overtake/pass. Next thing is a medium-distance coal mine: about 100-150 tiles. This will be your real money-maker and once this is up and running your income should be high enough to start chasing after subsidies or do other things you like. Maybe expand the coal network, maybe some other industries.

Final note: always look at the production of primary industries. If it's anything less than 128 items then don't even consider connecting it at the beginning of a game.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

lucas92 wrote:Alright, I've followed the basic tutorials on the wikipedia, but I wanna know some tips on how to start out a company. Do I build right away double rail stations, when should I take loans, etc.
For really quick starting money, find two distant towns that have population 1200+ and then build airports in them; even one plane will allow you to build that double lane rail line. For best results, use plane speed 1/1 (not 1/4). Otherwise as written above, build coal/copper line and then expand...

Of course I usually have max. loan set at USD 200K, no more.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

The plane speed setting that was suggested above is found in advanced settings window.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

before you start making lines double track, you can make the loading station double track, and add a second train. you should always keep one train loading, while the other train is enroute. for each further train you buy, you add another siding in the length of one train to the track, so they can pass each other. continue until you have a full double track.
lucas92
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucas92 »

Alright, thanks for those tips. :)
lucas92
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucas92 »

Sorry for the double post.

I've got an another question: I've seen some players building a rail system from a very far coal center to a coal mine, while there was a coal center much closer than the one he built to. The player succeeded very well at getting profits. Why is that? I try to build a close network of rail like the tutorial in the wiki, but allowing more than 1 train at a time and I don't get fast profit at all. :(
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Long distances tend to be more profitable than short distances, provided that you transport cargo quickly enough.
lucas92
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucas92 »

Ah ok. :)

Another question : how do you transfer stuff? I've seen some players doing it and I don't see any transfer order... I only see Unload All and take cargo but I don't want to take cargo! How can I do it?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

See attached picture.
Attachments
Drindinghall Transport, 12th Jun 2027.png
Drindinghall Transport, 12th Jun 2027.png (44.77 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Beat me to it!
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Lol.
I'll let you open the FS task then ...
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
lucas92
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lucas92 »

Alright, other questions:

1) Concerning the multiplayer, I've got some bad experiences from not locking my company (people that sold all my trains and stole my money), I guess I can't trust people online. So I'm asking if there's a way to auto-password my company (I don't feel like retyping my password every time IMO), as I've seen the button default password.

2) An another concern about the multiplayer is this:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231 ... ct1981.png

Yes, that's someone with too much money to spend that is annoying people. Is there any way to report these cases?

3) My trains crashed. Is there any way to remove them from the rails? Thanks. :)
Last edited by lucas92 on 06 Jul 2010 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

2) to server admin
3) wait
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

With the auto password, just enter a password and tick the auto password box, this will cause it to remember that password as the automatic password for your companies.

I was stung with that 'person logging in and selling my trains' attack a while ago. Why they can't add a prompt for the owner of the business to approve someone else taking joint control when that happens I don't know.

Another tip would be to always build the stations first as often if you end up having to terraform a bit around the towns where the stations would be, the approval rating can often fall too low and you find yourself having to plant a forest of trees later in order to try and get in the town's good books!
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

MGSteve wrote:I was stung with that 'person logging in and selling my trains' attack a while ago. Why they can't add a prompt for the owner of the business to approve someone else taking joint control when that happens I don't know.
That'd be an excellent patch. I don't play multiplayer, but since you know at least one person who'd use it, why don't you crack open the source and give it a go :D
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence

Return to “General OpenTTD”