Cargo Distribution

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cargo Distribution

Post by Gremnon »

What do you mean wouldn't work with a trunk-cargodist? it'd work perfectly fine, barring any code conflicts. You just apply trunk-cargodist first, and then it, both with -p1, and you've got a copy of trunk which has both, including any failed hunks.
Gathers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gathers »

bokkie wrote:2nded! Transporting pax isn't half as much fun without timetable based separation... Queues of busses at one end while passengers are waiting at the other end is a bit frustrating.
I've been playing around with timetable code and an old separation patch, and the result might be of interest to those of you looking for separation in cargodist. Have a look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=46391 for patches.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

fonso wrote:colossal404: This is the time reset problem. It has been discussed in this thread and it's fixed in later versions. There is a hotfix for it: http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=120202
Thanks, but I can't apply patches, so the savegami stays dead. :(
Thanks again.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

colossal404 wrote: Thanks, but I can't apply patches, so the savegami stays dead. :(
Thanks again.
Which binary was this savegame on? r17837M or the 18177M?
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

On r17837M.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Here, I present my first successful MSVC build!

This is for you, colossal404. It is the same version, except it contains the patch-fix. Now, you can open the old save and it will be crash free. If you do experience the crash, then upload the same stuff you did before (excluding crash.png since this is an older version). You do not need to download PDB to play CargoDist. When reporting a crash with this binary, link to this post.

Peter
Attachments
cargodist_win32_r17837.rar
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
cargodist_PDB_win32_r17837.rar
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Hello all,
Here's another CargoDist binary for r18533, built on MSVC for Win32. I will be making another post soon with the patches provided by SpComb, but I will have to wait until someone posts after this because I hate to triple post.

Disclaimer:
If CargoDist crashes, do not report it to the OpenTTD developers. Report it to this thread. When making your post about the crash, please upload the crash.dmp, crash.log, crash.sav, and crash.png (only available as of r18184, so if you are using a build older than that, don't bother). These files are vital to finding what happened during the crash. Also note that the PDB file attached is not needed when testing CargoDist, it is mainly for developers.

Peter
Attachments
cargodist_win32_r18533.rar
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
cargodist_PDB_win32_r18533.rar
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

petert, may I continue to thank you for this? This is something you don't have to do, but we all appreciate you doing the work so that those without a grasp of the "advanced things" don't have to struggle with it :))
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

I love doing this. Many people download my binaries, but you are one of the few that thank me. I really want these crashes to be solved, so I've learned to build using MSVC.

Post coming up with the patches in this post (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=841800#p841800).
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Removed from here at request of SpComb.... (A binary of the CargoDist mini-pack)

New post:
viewtopic.php?p=842067#p842067
Last edited by petert on 20 Dec 2009 17:53, edited 6 times in total.
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

petert: Thank you very much! :bow: It's working! :D Thanks again!
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

petert wrote:Hello all,
Here's a CargoDist Mini-Pack binary for r18533, built on MSVC for Win32.
It contains the following patches from this post (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=841800#p841800): ...
Hmm, thinking of this now, you should probably create a separate topic for this bit, so as to not taint the cargodist discussion too much...

On that note, I've been playing a game with cargodist+daylength r18495 up until 1938 (that's about 1990 in normal game time), adding in the town-growth and town-cargo patches after starting, and it's worked fine so far. I'm playing with 4x daylength and -2x town cargo, which keeps the trains at a manageable level. Can't provide a savegame since I had to hack it a bit to keep it working after adding the town-cargo patch, but here's a screenshot of the link graph.

You can see how Brindworth Falls and Chunpool are pretty big cities - it's because that's where I started playing, and I only added in the town-growth factor around 1930.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Using MSVC and posting the PDB file was aimed to help fonso in the development. Posting three builds at once, one of them ancient and probably full of old crashes (both trunk and cargodist) and another one with different patches (one of them known to have unsolved bugs) makes debugging any crash or problem a nightmare. Keep *any* builds besides a clean compilation of the latest version of cargodist out of this thread.
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Terkhen wrote:Using MSVC and posting the PDB file was aimed to help fonso in the development. Posting three builds at once, one of them ancient and probably full of old crashes (both trunk and cargodist) and another one with different patches (one of them known to have unsolved bugs) makes debugging any crash or problem a nightmare. Keep *any* builds besides a clean compilation of the latest version of cargodist out of this thread.
It's OK to post as many binaries as you like in this thread. But if you report anything, remember to tell me which version you are referring to. Also the hotfix for r17837 doesn't completely prevent the problem colossal404 is experiencing. The problem is that a lot of linkgraph jobs have accumulated due to the time reset. As his computer probably doesn't have enough RAM to keep them all in memory OpenTTD crashes. The patch doesn't prevent loading those linkgraph jobs. It prevents the long waiting time before they are finished. So if you load that savegame with the patched version your computer still has to load all the linkgraph jobs. However, when it's finished with that the linkgraph jobs will be finished, too and when you save this new state and load it again the jobs won't be there anymore.
The guy on the picture is not me, it's Alonso.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

SpComb wrote:Hmm, thinking of this now, you should probably create a separate topic for this bit, so as to not taint the cargodist discussion too much...
Actually, do you mind doing that? That way the CargoDist thread is a little bit cleaner?
Terkhen wrote:Using MSVC and posting the PDB file was aimed to help fonso in the development. Posting three builds at once, one of them ancient and probably full of old crashes (both trunk and cargodist) and another one with different patches (one of them known to have unsolved bugs) makes debugging any crash or problem a nightmare. Keep *any* builds besides a clean compilation of the latest version of cargodist out of this thread.
That's all very true, but the r17837 build was so that colossal404 could keep his savegame. Like fonso said, just state the version being used.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Non-vanilla cargodist discussion for my patches moved here:

[Patch] Daylength, Cargodist with sprinkles

Pending on PeterT to move the win32 build there.
Terkhen wrote:... one with different patches (one of them known to have unsolved bugs) ...
Look closer - I don't know of any unsolved bugs with these specific patches :)
Hamilton2007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hamilton2007 »

Isn't it so that with cargodist you always end up with deleting or adding trains/vehicles constantly when you move up in the game to the later years.

Also the red numbers of money are weird.

I had a train line from a to b to c back to b and back to a. Then another train line from a to z. Then a bus line from z to x. At first the numbers of money of the busses where green but when the lines where excisting a while the numbers become red. Is this because the pax from b and c have to transfer to much to become to point x ??

Hope i made myself a little bit clear with my explanation :?
cato58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cato58 »

I have found using cargodist that if you have two profitable lines:
A=B=C
X=Y=Z

then if you connect A with X, very soon your stations A & X fill with passengers. This seems to be because, as an example, some B passengers who used to only go to A and C now want to go to X, Y, and Z. I have had games collapse as I spend myself into debt building trains to service A & X, while receiving lower revenues because of delivery delays.

It seems a better model would be that once the connection is made, going back to my example, that the B passengers who used to go to A & C still want to, but now there are also new passengers in station B wanting to go to X, Y and Z. In other words, the number of passengers being created also depends on the number of connections available to that station.

Regardless, from my viewpoint cargodist makes TT much more interesting and enjoyable to play. Everyones effort to make this work is greatly appreciated by me.
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

I have encountered one thing, which in my eyes is very irritating.

I made a simple network. A<->B<->C<->D<->A. |A,B| ~ 20tiles, |B,C| ~ 100tiles, |C,D| ~ 60tiles, |D,A| ~ 40tiles. People coming from from A to B used network A->D->C->B as well (2 transfers). I watched loading and buses loaded 1/3 of each. Is this wanted, I forget to set something, or just on TODO list?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

There's the short path saturation setting in advanced settings.
Maybe that will help a bit ?

Also there is the cd_reduce_passengers.patch that can be found in the first post in the improved timetable management thread that should not be to hard to update. In case you find that later in the game you have way too many passengers waiting.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”