cargo tram set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

do you want cargo trams

yes
79%
no
21%

Total votes: 91

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Good Start!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Decent effort.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

m3henry wrote:that would be nice
but this is currently something that will fit in with TTD.
so here is a liquids tram
Are there any liquids trams in reality? AFAIR, there are "water" trams for washing issues, but they have very low capacity. I think trams should not be used for liquids.
Last edited by George on 06 Jun 2007 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

The mock-up looks great, btw.

As a commentary for the ongoing "debate" (using the term loosely) re: cargo trams, I'd like to add the following thought...

Even if you don't think cargo trams are realistic, or don't want them to be a part of a given set (not directed at anyone in particular, so please don't take it as such) - I think having cargo trams could serve an interesting purpose. When playing TTD, some players create large station layouts... With the advent of adjacent stations, etc., it would now be possible to use vehicles like the cargo tram to serve as intra-station transfer vehicles.

Example - you could have a small tram station next to a coal mine and use coal trams to shuttle the coal up (or down) a slope to a more centrally located rail station that will ultimately carry the coal to the power plant, etc.

Just because you may not wish to use the cargo trams on an inner-city line of track doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't other potential uses for them.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:The mock-up looks great, btw.

As a commentary for the ongoing "debate" (using the term loosely) re: cargo trams, I'd like to add the following thought...

Even if you don't think cargo trams are realistic, or don't want them to be a part of a given set (not directed at anyone in particular, so please don't take it as such) - I think having cargo trams could serve an interesting purpose. When playing TTD, some players create large station layouts... With the advent of adjacent stations, etc., it would now be possible to use vehicles like the cargo tram to serve as intra-station transfer vehicles.

Example - you could have a small tram station next to a coal mine and use coal trams to shuttle the coal up (or down) a slope to a more centrally located rail station that will ultimately carry the coal to the power plant, etc.

Just because you may not wish to use the cargo trams on an inner-city line of track doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't other potential uses for them.
Good thinking. :D I already do this using narrow gauge to move the product to a central transfer station where it is loaded onto larger, faster, more powerful standard gauge unit trains. I think cargo trams would work very nicely in this situation.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:...Just because you may not wish to use the cargo trams on an inner-city line of track doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't other potential uses for them.
that is very true, and is one of the main points of this set (now)
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

Let's see what Santa brings you today...

M4S HGRTV32 in / view!
Seen here with empty coal wagons without a rear car and a rear car from a different direction.

Also seen with no rear car is an M4S HGRTV32 with full, half full and empty coal wagons
Attachments
M4S HGRTV32 (+empty coal)<br />Copyright © 2007 M4 STUDIOS
M4S HGRTV32 (+empty coal)
Copyright © 2007 M4 STUDIOS
Cargo tram + wagons diagonal 1 - transfer file.PNG (1.75 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
M4S HGRTV32 (+empty, half full and full coal)<br />Copyright © 2007 M4 STUDIOS
M4S HGRTV32 (+empty, half full and full coal)
Cargo tram + wagons diagonal 1 - transfer file 2.PNG (1.43 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

It looks much better with more wagons. Before with front and rear and only 2 wagons it was somewhat weird.

Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

looks wonderful :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Good stuff Marek.

The creation from scratch of this stuff gives you quite a bit of artistic licence.

Flickr

thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

M4rek wrote:Let's see what Santa brings you today...

M4S HGRTV32 in / view!
Seen here with empty coal wagons without a rear car and a rear car from a different direction.

Also seen with no rear car is an M4S HGRTV32 with full, half full and empty coal wagons
Its lovely:) Good work
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

Santa is back with some more goodies again today...
And I bring you the M4S HGTRV in vertical view.

It is seen here with a short consist of large hoppers heading towards us and a longer consist with large hoppers heading away from us with a rear cab to help haul the huge load.

Also seen are the new large hoppers full and half full of coal as well as an empty one.

And while we're at it, we'll show you the new large hoppers from the side, with a short consist with one cab hauling full, half full and empty hoppers and the longer consist with two cabs to haul the full hoppers.

Regards,
Islacrusez
Attachments
M4S HGRTV32 (+full half empty and empty large hoppers: coal)<br />Copyright © 2007 M4 STUDIOS
M4S HGRTV32 (+full half empty and empty large hoppers: coal)
Cargo tram + wagons vert - transfer file.PNG (2.33 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
M4S HGRTV32 (+full half empty and empty large hoppers: coal)<br />Copyright © 2007 M4 STUDIOS
cargo tram upload 1.PNG (1.77 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
cargo tram upload 2.PNG (2.02 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

very very nice, now that everything is there,
I proclaim you head drawer!
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I like the idea, but i just can't play anything anymore if it doesn't have company colours somewhere. :)

The artwork looks nice though.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Since head is assigned, m3henry will you draw the body? :lol:

True it is nice work with or without company colors. I suppose those will be added later when sprite is finalized.

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Do you really think a tram engine could haul a load like that?
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Marek, you've drawn the front of the tram in the | view too tall, not sure by how much but it looks it. Otherwise looking nice.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AndersI wrote:Do you really think a tram engine could haul a load like that?
Freight multiple units anyone? ;)

Flickr

m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

I am currently working on fixing my sprite size issues and finishing the last of the sprites. I have another wagon already on order that should be ready before the end of this week.

Meanwhile, I have some information, as no project can proceed without the necessary research.

Cargo trams

Goods have been carried on rail vehicles through the streets, particularly near docks and steelworks, since the 19th century, and some Belgian vicinale routes were used to haul timber. At the turn of the 21st century, a new interest has arisen in using urban tramway systems to transport goods. The motivation now is to reduce air pollution, traffic congestion and damage to road surfaces in city centres. Dresden has a regular CarGoTram service, run by the world's longest tram trainsets (59.4 m), carrying car parts across the city centre to its Volkswagen factory. Vienna and Zürich use trams as mobile recycling depots. Kislovodsk had a freight-only tram system comprising one line which was used exclusively to deliver bottled Narzan mineral water to the railway station.

As of 7th March 2007, Amsterdam is piloting a cargo tram operation, which could reduce particulate pollution by 20% by halving the number of lorries – currently 5,000 - unloading in the inner city during the permitted ‘window’ from 07:00 till 10:30.

The pilot, operated by City Cargo Amsterdam, involves two cargo trams, operating from a distribution centre at Lutkemeerpolder, on the A10 ring motorway near the Osdorp terminus of tram no. 1. Each cargo tram can transport the load of 4 lorries (roughly 100 tonnes) to a ‘hub’ at Frederiksplein, where electric trucks deliver to the final destination.

If the trial is successful an investment of 100 million euro would see a fleet of 52 cargo trams distributing from four peripheral ‘cross docks’ to 15 inner-city hubs by 2012. These specially-built vehicles would be 30 metres long with 12 axles and a payload of 30 tonnes.

(Source: Samenwest 5 Dec 06, NOS3 television news 7 Mar 07)

Regards,
Islacrusez

Return to “Graphics Development”