GRF Awards 2006!(And the winners are...)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

GRF Awards 2006!(And the winners are...)

Post by BobDendry »

Hello all. I had an idea for a positive award competition for GRF Sets, artists and coders. The rules are simple:
1. You may vote only once.
2. You must include a vote for every section below, or none of your votes will be counted.
3. You may vote for your own set.
4. PM your votes to me, in the same format as featured here.

EDIT: Well, there's been some interesting votes, and many ties. I will show the winner and the second placed option. If more than two options are given first place, no second place will be shown, or if there are more than one sets in second place.

GRF Set Awards
Best Set:
1st: Michael Blunck's DB Set
Artist & Coder: Michael Blunck.
2nd: DanMacK's Canadian Set
Artist: DanMacK
Coder: OzTransLtd

Best New Set:
1st: SAC's INFRA
Artist: SAC

Most Improved Set:

1st: North American Building Set
Artist: Oz
Coder: Aegir

1st: PikkaBird's United Kingdom Renewal Set
Artist & Coder: PikkaBird

Best Landscape Set:
1st: AusLAND
Artists: coalroads artist & WhiteHand
Coder: WhiteHand

2nd: SAC's INFRA

Best Plane Set:
1st: PikkaBird's AV8

Best Road Vehicle Set:
1st: PikkaBird's HOVS

2nd: George's Long Vehicles
Artist & Coder: George

Best Station or Building Set:
1st: Zimmlock's Total Town Replacement Set
Artist: Zimmlock
Coder: Csaboka

2nd: Michael Blunck's NewStations
Artist & Coder: Michael Blunck

Set with most potential:

Artist Awards
Best Artist:
1st: DanMacK
2nd: Zimmlock
Best New Artist:
1st: SAC
1st: Lt_gable
Most Improved Artist:
2nd: AndersI
Best Concept Artist:
1st: Lifeblood

Coder Awards
Best Coder:
1st: OzTransLtd
2nd: DaleStan
Most Improved Coder:
1st: WhiteHand
2nd: PikkaBird
Best Coding Concept:
1st: WhiteHand
1st: PikkaBird
1st: Michael Blunck

Team Awards
Best Development Team:
1st: Planeset
Best Coder/Artist Duo:
1st: Zimmlock/Csaboka
2nd: DanMacK/OzTransLtd
Best Coder/Artist-in-one:
1st: PikkaBird
2nd: Michael Blunk
Best Set Manager:
1st: DaveWorley
2nd: Hyronymus
Last edited by BobDendry on 01 Dec 2006 10:21, edited 4 times in total.
Formerly known as Lachie
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: GRF Awards 2006!

Post by Purno »

WhiteHand wrote:2. You must include a vote for every section below, or none of your votes will be counted.
Why? I can't fill in every category, but I do want to vote for a few? Do I just need to put in some random names to prevent my votes for not being counted? I think this is a silly rule, which only leads to unthoughtfull voting, and less total votes.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Well, otherwise, the voting will be unbalanced.
Formerly known as Lachie
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What would be wrong with unbalanced voting? I'd say random votes would be a much bigger problem, wouldn't they?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

They'd be more voted for a certain thing, and some of the topics might not get a vote, or only 1.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

WhiteHand has a very valid point when he asks for a complete voting card. Elections can easily be "corrupted" otherwise.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I am not sure that it hasn't a bit to much things you need to vote for.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i voted, and i even got short on options to vote for people. just fill it in or don't, and don't make a fuzz about it.

t'is a good idea. have you set a final date already, WH?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

I have a few questions:

What is the distinguishing criteria between a "new set" and an "old set"? Similarly, how does this work for artists?

Why are there categories for planes and RVs, but not categories for trains or ships? Why are stations and buildings in one category?

What exactly do you mean by "Most improved set/artist/coder"?

By what criteria do you intend to judge coders and coding concepts? More importantly, what makes you believe that a regular forum member is qualified to judge a skill in a subject that only few here understand?

And finally, in what way will encouraging your voters to submit erroneous data (by making them vote for all categories) make your results more accurate?

I think you really need to clarify this and set up some more elaborate, but reasonable rules. Otherwise this is in real danger of becoming a chaotic popularity contest.

Regards,
minime
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

I also support the idea of not forcing people vote for each and every category Believe me, I deal with data analysis every day in my job, and sometimes it hurts much more to have inaccurate, random entries, than missing ones.

What a missing entry does is to give more weight to the available entries (which are supposed to be more accurate), so it is a loss of information, but not really crucial to determine who wins.
OTOH, a random entry could really change the balance, and eventually the final outcome, of the vote, based on decisions possibly made with a low confidence level.

So what I'd propose would be either to allow people to vote just for certain categories (leaving some fields blank) or, possibly, to add a "confidence level" together with the vote. How strongly do you believe this is the best set / artist / coder / etc?

If we let people leave fields blank, then we will have a different number of votes for each entry. Although this is not optimal, as long as all these votes were expressed with strong confidence, we can deal with it. It would be MUCH worse to have noise inside of the sets of votes.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

@minime

If a Set is much more sopphisticated than others, which you can clearly see by comparing the DB set to a small set, for example, than everyone might have an idea about that subject.

Maybee the votes should only given from people who have contributet something for a set or a grf. All people who are allowed to vote for the oscars (or academy awards) are filmmakers. Maybee this might give the Awards a twist?

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Spaceball wrote:@minime

If a Set is much more sopphisticated than others, which you can clearly see by comparing the DB set to a small set, for example, than everyone might have an idea about that subject.

Maybee the votes should only given from people who have contributet something for a set or a grf. All people who are allowed to vote for the oscars (or academy awards) are filmmakers. Maybee this might give the Awards a twist?

cu, Spaceball
But what about the Peoples Choice Awards?
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

The Awards could be split into contributor awards and peoples choice awards.

My suggestion would look like this: The best Set and the best artist awards are peoples choice awards while the others are contributor awards. Sounds good to me.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Well, although that is a good idea, I have already had twenty votes, so it would be a bad idea to suddenly change it.
As for the people not having votes for categories, I have decided that I WILL allow you to not to vote in categories. However, you will need to give me a valid reason why you are not voting for it. Not just 'there are so many good choices' or 'I am too lazy to look'. You will also have to vote for atleast 75% of the categories.
The voting will close on the 1st of december.. Winner will also be announced on this day.
Formerly known as Lachie
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

It's GRF Awards 2006, so you can only vote for GRFs made in 2006?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

White Rabbit wrote:It's GRF Awards 2006, so you can only vote for GRFs made in 2006?
Nah, of course not. I mean, what would be the difference between "Best Set" and "Best New Set" then? :wink:
Image Image
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

I am not going to vote since my votes would be quite biased. There are certain graphic artists and sets that I follow pretty rigorously since I have used and continue to use their works. Since I play this game either none or one hundred percent of my free time, during the latter I get quite involved and need a sense of familiarity. Living out in the suburbs of Chicago, I have seen enough American carriages and locomotives to be familiar with the American train set. While other sets are quite beautiful, I would have to learn and attempt to remember the strengths and weaknesses - taking away from my overall limited free time. Also, I spend a good amount of time just lurking upon these boards with the rare urge to present a building I created one afternoon. Thus again I would be biased in voting since I can not and do not read each and every thread. So to fill every slot for the voting would be difficult to accomplish successfully without being biased.

Just my opinion; but don't let that stop anyone else from voting.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Alright, the votes are out! Congratulations to everyone who won, and a big thankyou to everyone who voted! Without you this would be a pretty pointless thing!
Formerly known as Lachie
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Congrats to everyone who won awards! :D Results are more or less expected.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

miss SAC's been an overall winner, methinks. surprised Aegir's mentioned quite little.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Return to “Graphics Development”