Nuclear Industries Set [Planning]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Nuclear Industries Set [Planning]

Post by RPharazon »

Due to an IRC chat, I have come up with a great idea to use the New Industries.
The Nuclear Industries Set!

Basically, it'd be an Industry link.

Code: Select all

Uranium Mine---------------Nuclear Power 
Plutonium Mine ------------   Plant
                                  |
                                  |
                                  |
                            Nuclear
                       Waste Dumping
                               Site
So, you get Uranium and Plutonium from mines, bring it to the Nuclear Power Plant, the nuclear power plant produces Nuclear Waste, so you bring the Nuclear Waste to a dumping site.

So, who likes the idea? If you do, please contribute some way.
We need artists (To make the industries) and coders (For the newindustries triggers).
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

There is a step missing in the process ... a nuclear fuel plant where the uranium is enriched and pelletized and inserted into tubes.
Also, I may be wrong about this, but isn't plutonium a by-product produced by the nuclear power plant?
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Sure, we can make it a 4-industry chain. Nuclear Fuel plant it is.

And yes, I forgot Plutonium was a synthesized material, made out of U-238 (a kind of Uranium, methinks).

So, we can completely redesign the industry chain.

Uranium Mine -> Nuclear Fuel Enrichment -> Nuclear Power Plant -> Nuclear Waste Facility AND/OR Space and Military Programs.

So, we need a mine-like graphic for the Uranium Mine, an industrial plant thing for the Fuel Enrichment, the classical Nuclear Power Plant design, the big Pit & Facility for the Waste Facility, and a Military-Looking base for the Military/Space Program.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

You are right, wallyweb. So-called "breeder" reactors are loaded with the fissile Uranium and Plutonium isotopes (U235 and Pu239) , which are then surrounded with a "blanket" of non-fissile Uranium (U238). The latter absorbs neutrons and decays into Pu239, which can be used to power other power plants. Average output is about 1.2 tons of Pu239 per ton of fissile material (U235 and Pu239) consumed.

What comes out of the ground is approximately 99% U238 and 1% U235, with an insignificant amount of U234.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hmmm... nuclear industries...

I don't really follow all the industry thingies, but I do we now get different grf-files with each a different industry model?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Certainly sounds interesting. I wouldn't want to see one of those trains crash though :|.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Raichase wrote:Certainly sounds interesting. I wouldn't want to see one of those trains crash though :|.
that just calls for a Tchernobyl-scenario. ask Jim Powers. :roll:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Ok, here you get my castor car I drew a long time ago. It is for Simutrans, and did just a quick and dirty convert. Feel free to use it. (no company colors, sorry.)

And even this Image is and original iron more mine, maybe you can reuse it as uranium mine ...
Attachments
Castor car for used fuel rods
Castor car for used fuel rods
castor.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Last edited by prissi on 08 Sep 2005 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

No offense, but that doesn't look good. Maybe the conversion ruined it.
Formerly known as Lachie
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Likely, it was green and had gradients ... But maybe also the original was not too good. I rather do programming than drawing.
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

The Iron-Ore-Mine-Cum-Uranium looks good, just add maybe... a radioactivity sign or something?

And the Uranium containers look good aside from the obvious clarification and shading problems.
hawk
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hawk »

prissi wrote:Ok, here you get my castor car I drew a long time ago. It is for Simutrans, and did just a quick and dirty convert. Feel free to use it. (no company colors, sorry.)

And even this Image is and original iron more mine, maybe you can reuse it as uranium mine ...
Is it just me or could that be mistaken as an abandoned mine
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Not really, just make some green ooze and make sure the palette is right.
Prebral
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Prebral »

Actually, there is not green ooze around uranium power plants/waste dumps/anything (except for Springfield and Fallout :) ). Faint blue/violet ("Cherenkov radiation" - some visible stuff charged particles generate when passing through solid materials/water...at least I hope so, I am not a nuclear scientist) is more accurate but also cannot be used because if you see it to shine this way, you are usually already dead, just not knowing it.

To be a bit constructive/inspirative, some uranium mine and other facilities photos follow:

MINES:
Jáchymov/Joachimsthal (CZ) - underground, old ones, radioactive materials used for healing and experiments since end of 19th century, since 1940s-50s important uranium mines
http://www.hornictvi.info/histhor/lokal ... /image.htm

Pribram (CZ) - underground, opened at 1950s/60s, now closed:
http://www.hornictvi.info/histhor/lokal ... mage3.htm]

Rozna (CZ) - underground, still active:
http://www.hornictvi.info/histhor/lokal ... image2.htm

Hamr (CZ) - both shaft and chemical mining:
http://rv.hyperlink.cz/uran1.html
http://rv.hyperlink.cz/uran3.html
http://prebral.net/gal/2p/ralsko/IMG_4292.JPG (Chemicals containers...acid was pumped underground and then pumped back including uranium)

Ranger mine (Australia) - open pit mine and some facilities:
http://www.anawa.org.au/nt/photos-ranger.htm
http://www.fotocesty.cz/australie/cla38.html

Somewhere in Arizona - blue-colored settling pit...the color is not from radiation but from some chemicals and is not common in settling pits - they are usually just full of some dirty greyish stuff:
http://www.pilotlist.org/balades/arizon ... ranium.jpg
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

If I may? The most important part about the mine (IMO), to distinguish it from every other possible type of mine, is to have the tailings dams. They are going to be what differentiates this mine from a coal mine, or an iron mine.

Also the Ranger mine here in AU is a bit of a stuff-up, as they didn't protect the tailings dams properly (corner cutting and whatnot), and some of the raditation leaked into the ground water...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it's good graphic for me
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

gl2 has started a nuclear plant project long time ago.
In the time, when newindustries were not even considered possible. He used "newstations" sprites to construct custom industries. Since then it got converted to "newindustries".
It consists of existing soviet RBMK reactors, needing some texturing/shading.
Of course it was never announced here.
He said, if you're interested, he's willing to share his work, and even code this 'set' too.
Here are some shots of his work (see also picture desriptions):
Attachments
The recunstructed &quot;newindustries&quot; version Chernobyl (this thing is huge...)
The recunstructed "newindustries" version Chernobyl (this thing is huge...)
SCR16.png (51.38 KiB) Viewed 6621 times
The newststions version, with sophisticated, real layouts (cherloby even has the sarcophagus over the exloded block 4 after 1986.04.26)
The newststions version, with sophisticated, real layouts (cherloby even has the sarcophagus over the exloded block 4 after 1986.04.26)
SCR101.png (45.5 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
The original concept, simple spritereplace of the power plant. Did not come out too well
The original concept, simple spritereplace of the power plant. Did not come out too well
SCR3.png (63.88 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
Image please use email instead of PM
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

I reckon the best bet is a nuclear power plant with the pebble cooling towers.
Formerly known as Lachie
onodera
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by onodera »

I have to say the Chernobyl plant looks very much like the real one.
But where's the very first NPP in the world, the one in Obninsk?
It's a nodding donkey in my avatar, not me! I'm an oil rig.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

well, that's .... awesome !!!! :shock:

if only it would work like in SC4:RH (where trains/ships/roadvehs) can travel through that industry :(
(hear me developers)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!

Return to “Graphics Development”