Is it possible to rotate view angle?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

mike[F] wrote:Can flipping generate the backs, though?
we can use same graphis for front and back, each part of the indistry will have the same size, but not at the same order.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If industries (and other buildings) are built up out of more segments which each has there own sprite, and if these segments are square (1x1, 2x2, ...) then you probably don't have to draw more sprites. Only the segments which are not square needs to be flipped. Isn't that so? :?
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Purno wrote:If industries (and other buildings) are built up out of more segments which each has there own sprite, and if these segments are square (1x1, 2x2, ...) then you probably don't have to draw more sprites. Only the segments which are not square needs to be flipped. Isn't that so? :?
Exactly. So rotating should not be a big work.
Will just look bad, but would works without problem.

And I think it would be a good thing. When building tracks near an indistry (especialy steel mill), sometimes I don't see what I do. I hate "transparent buidling", because I can't see better (everything is black...)
Same thing when builing along hills with trees on the top. I spend half of my monney to destroy tree to see what I'm builing.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

MagicBuzz wrote:And I think it would be a good thing. When building tracks near an indistry (especialy steel mill), sometimes I don't see what I do. I hate "transparent buidling", because I can't see better (everything is black...)
Same thing when builing along hills with trees on the top. I spend half of my monney to destroy tree to see what I'm builing.
Sounds like you need to increase the brightness of your monitor :mrgreen:
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

MagicBuzz wrote:And I think it would be a good thing. When building tracks near an indistry (especialy steel mill), sometimes I don't see what I do. I hate "transparent buidling", because I can't see better (everything is black...)
LOL ! If you build a track in a rainforest, it doesn't matter how the view is rotated, there will be trees everywhere!
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Darkvater wrote:
LOL ! If you build a track in a rainforest, it doesn't matter how the view is rotated, there will be trees everywhere!
I agree, but I have a chance to find a small window of visibility, much more than if I can't rotate ;)

And I never play the rainforest, I prefer the temperate climat that is more realistic.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Darkvater, there's something wrong with your quote construction. I think you should remove quote="Purno"-thing.

EDIT: MagicBuzz has the same error because he quoted Darkvater

EDITED: fixed
Sparr
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Is it possible to rotate view angle?

Post by Sparr »

Transparent and invisible buildings and trees solve some of these problems, but I found this thread due to another issue... Unless I am missing something, there is currently no way to see the state of an electric signal that is facing northeast ("up") in most of the graphics sets.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

In the future, please do not grave dig topics from 5 years ago.
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

It would be nice to have rotation, but I guess it depends on whether the map system as it stands could handle it. A hacky way would be to save the game but save all the x-co-ordinates as ys and so forth, and then reload it. There's probably a much better way around it though.
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

No, you couldn't just do that. Some buildings don't have the correct graphics to be shown in other orientations.
There is no way to rotate the game view. I've never found a reason to need it. I don't see why people think it's needed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, it's kind of a prerequisite to another frequently requested feature: cliffs
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

... you convinced me otherwise already.
Cliffs are something I've wanted in OTTD for some time.
The problem remains, however, that unless some fancy work is done, a lot of things - like Georges ECS industries - would be missing the sprites needed to display in alternative orientations. The ECS Coal mine is a prime example.

Would it not be easier to get cliffs working just for the views we have, and then think about other orientations, so if/when we have them, then we can just enable cliffs for those views too?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A rotating view is not required for cliffs, there are other ways to see through a mountain, eg. "slicing off" terrain above a certain height so the mountain/cliff does not block your view.
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

From memory, all of the pseudo-3d isometric games I can remember from the same period as TTD didn't use different sprites when they rotated the map - most of the buildings were fairly symmetrical so it was harder to tell. Admittedly the non-standard shaped industries would be a problem, but can they just be re-built using the component tiles as they would be when they are first constructed?
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I invite you to start a game with the ECS Vectors, and examine each of it's industries. Yes some of them could, but others, like the Coal mine, the Vehicles factory and more wouldn't.
Also, town buildings - the 1x1 and so on ones would be fine, but the 1x2 and other non-square ones - unless they have sprites for each orientation, the same problem exists for them.

TTD's game view wasn't intended to be rotated. It's not really made properly for it.
CynicalRyan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CynicalRyan »

Gremnon wrote:I invite you to start a game with the ECS Vectors, and examine each of it's industries. Yes some of them could, but others, like the Coal mine, the Vehicles factory and more wouldn't.
That is, however, the problem of ECS Vector, and not OpenTTD.
Also, town buildings - the 1x1 and so on ones would be fine, but the 1x2 and other non-square ones - unless they have sprites for each orientation, the same problem exists for them.
Well, two orientations: You need one face for 2x1 and one for 1x2 display in the rotation for base rotating functionality, the remaining faces can be done by rotating/mirroring the sprite. See DooM 1 or ][ for an example of what I mean.
TTD's game view wasn't intended to be rotated. It's not really made properly for it.
And TTD's engine was never intended for multi-engine trains, stations longer than 5 tiles, or to support NewGRF, either.

The question is if rotating the view is a useful enough feature in the long run to justify the effort that'd be required to implement the feature, and if the OpenGFX team can keep pace fast enough to keep OpenTTD playable.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

That is, however, the problem of ECS Vector, and not OpenTTD.
Anything which breaks compatibility with newGRFs will never become a feature of trunk.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Well... in principle it could be introduced by checking for newgrfs which don't support that (e.g. all current newgrfs). In the absense of them this feature could be enabled, otherwise disabled. And newgrf version 8 could then support this. But... *someone* would have to realize a working patch before these kinds of thoughts warrent more than a passing thought.

Return to “General OpenTTD”