GRFs You'd Make If You Had The Skill (But Don't)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Cadde
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: GRFs You'd Make If You Had The Skill (But Don't)

Post by Cadde »

Emperor Jake wrote:IMO, there should be a similar thread to this but for patches. This one is about NewGRFs.
Then why did you spend so much time picking apart my dreams? That is the definition of "off topic".

And to all others saying X and Y about my dream (If i had the skill this is what i would make happen, i don't care if that makes trunk or not) i already know it's currently pretty much impossible.
I already know some things can be solved with waypoints, i already know there are signals in TTDP that have conditions. What i would do is remove the need to have 4 different waypoints at every industry just so trains go to the right station tile. Signals are all fine and dandy but still a lot of tedious work doing it for all stations, especially when you need to change something like adding another platform.

I am also aware that there are limitiations in GRF's and i am pretty sure many many GRF designers sometime wished they could change TTDP and OTTD to support something that isn't supported at the moment.
Thus, changes to code that is relevant to GRF's is just as much about GRF design as the pathfinder is relevant to your networks capacity in game. So many times i have fiddled with the pathfinder settings to be able to squeeze that little extra performance out of my transport networks.

In other words, nothing is as clear cut as some people would like it to be. You can't go around saying something is "impossible" if it isn't impossible. Hard? Yes! Takes time? Yes! Impossible? NO!
And i find it hard to believe this thread was about discussing each others ideas in the first place. It's about what YOU would do if YOU had the skills to make it happen.
That includes if YOU had the skills to make certain limitations disappear.
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

How about a 'regional boycott' where a line is randomly generated and no cargo or vehicles can cross it?
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

British buses from the 70's/80's NBC days such as the Bristol VR and the Leyland National. Even maybe some of those tiny ford mini-buses many NBC's took on in the late 80's.
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Sabre_Justice wrote:
buckethead wrote:Military Planes(eyecandy, already proposed actually)
You can get the military jet and Apache chopper buildable in the Av8 pack.

That reminds me of how I want the Skyranger from X-COM, since it already makes a cameo. (only a single sprite though) And hell, maybe the UFOs too.

In fact, an AI 'competitor' that acts as a military, perhaps using particular industries, would be interesting.

...come to think of it, a War Economy would be perfect for this kind of game.
Want war? Play Call Of Duty.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

If I ever could, I would build a set based on Japanese anime series, Galaxy Express 999. (And even if I had the technical capabilities, I'd get cease & desist letter from the original author for copyright infringement... *le sigh*)
brickie
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by brickie »

Gord wrote:British buses from the 70's/80's NBC days such as the Bristol VR and the Leyland National. Even maybe some of those tiny ford mini-buses many NBC's took on in the late 80's.
Ooh, yes. There's a couple of cracking UK Railway grfs, but no proper RV set as far as I've been able to find. A full set of UK road vehicles with buses and freight lorries, maybe even trams.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The interesting thing is that I was actually born with the ability to draw and code newgrfs. It wasn't a thing I had to spend time learning, I just had this amazing innate ability from birth.

I should consider myself lucky, and all of you who can't make newgrfs should consider me lucky too.

I was actually drawing and coding grfs in the 1970s. I had to wait about 16 years for original TTD to be released before my work made any sense at all. Then I had to wait another 10 years or so for newgrf to be available before my work could be used. Oh the horror.

Also, my day has 28 hours in it, whereas yours only has 24. This is why I am able to find the time to draw and code newgrfs.

So in summary, I'm special and you are not. And this is why you can't produce newgrfs.
Last edited by andythenorth on 05 Aug 2011 12:57, edited 2 times in total.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote:The interesting thing is that I was actually born with the ability to draw and code newgrfs. It wasn't a thing I had to spend time learning, I just had this amazing innate ability from birth.

I should consider myself lucky, and all of you who can't make newgrfs should consider me lucky too.

Also, my day has 28 hours in it, whereas yours only has 24. This is why I am able to find the time to draw and code newgrfs.

So in summary, I'm special and you are not. And this is why you can't produce newgrfs.
Really? You follow the 28 hour day? :P

EDIT: And why didn't you release your stuff earlier, around 2003, when TTDPatch GRFs were starting to appear :lol: And shouldn't you have a full train set of every country made by now? Sets containing every train, ship, aircaft and road vehicle that ever existed? Building sets specific to every city? Full Landscape replacement sets for every possible climate? Every object that ever existed in a big NewObjects set? The list goes on...
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 05 Aug 2011 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

andythenorth wrote:The interesting thing is that I was actually born with the ability to draw and code newgrfs. It wasn't a thing I had to spend time learning, I just had this amazing innate ability from birth.

I was actually drawing and coding grfs in the 1970s. I had to wait about 16 years for original TTD to be released before my work made any sense at all. Then I had to wait another 10 years or so for newgrf to be available before my work could be used. Oh the horror.

Oh c'mon, everyone knows you were a vat-grown side-project of the OTTD team designed specifically to produce awesome GRFs, named MODOMOG- Mental Organism Designed Only For Making OTTD GRFs.

Back on topic, playing with the Heavy Equipment set has left me lamenting when the cool and useful mining-type vehicles start expiring (Vehicles Never Expire is going on my next game, though I'm probably gonna regret it) and got me thinking- the only thing cooler than the HEQS trucks is futuristic versions of the HEQS trucks. No idea what exactly futurey construction equipment would look like, but it's gotta be awesome.
KittenKoder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KittenKoder »

Cadde wrote:A deeper industry replacement GRF. Sure, we have ECS and FIRS and they are good but i can't help to think they are not deep enough sometimes.

For instance, instead of...

Iron Ore -> Steel/Metal -> Vehicles -> Iron Ore mine

I would like a deeper chain that goes like...

Iron Ore -> Steel/Metal -> Industrial parts -> Mining Equipment -> Iron Ore mine

Also note that a Machine shop requires two types of cargo. Metal and Petrol... I would like it if it required...
So there, i got some things off my chest.
OMG, the minimum size of map that would require. >.<

:p but it would be fun with more depth.
You gotta enjoy the little things. - Zombieland
OpenTTD2011
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OpenTTD2011 »

I'd like to add my post from another forum to this, just to see if anyone's interested:

Owner's Estate - If you've got it flaunt it!
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=56469

What do you think of the idea of a being able to create an "owner's estate" where you can flaunt your success?

It's taken me a week or more just to create a tennis court so I don't think I have what it takes to actually create these graphics, but I'm having fun trying.

Regards,
OpenTTD2011
renevanh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by renevanh »

A counter. Quite simple, but I'd like a counter.

This counter could be placed on a piece of track (or road) and increases by +1 everytime a train (or vehicle) passes it.
Settings for specific trains or vehicles, direction of movement and so on could also be implemented.

This makes troubleshooting and re-designing my complex railways easier.
It's nice to know when a track is not (or barely) used, you could remove it and use the space to troubleshoot lockdowns.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

You cannot make such a thing in NewGRF. Needs changes to the game, so it would be better in the suggestions forum. I envision that waypoints could have such a counter added, as well as buoys. For road vehicles a new "road vehicle waypoint" would be useful (not only for this). For aircraft it's probably not really necessary as you could just check if an airport has aircraft assigned to it.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

You can construct a counter made of signal logic. One can be found in this game http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/PublicServe ... gameid_196
ImageImageImage
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

or you can change the stuck trains patch to trigger increase on VehicleEnter_Tile (or similar), instead of while waiting at a signal.

Return to “General OpenTTD”