OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by petert »

The drinks factory looks great! I like the the whole soda can style... :)
planetmaker wrote: Please provide the translation of this sentence into your mother tongue. That way I can add it to this set so that the description is displayed also in the language which is selected in the game settings of OpenTTD.
Ok, I'll do that in a sec.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Maybe chop and change this can in instead...
Attachments
fizzydrinksfactory 8bpptmp.png
fizzydrinksfactory 8bpptmp.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Could you do a mixture of this one and the fountain portion of the soda can?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zuu wrote: In Swedish:(...)
Thanks for that! :-)

Well, it's all in the source of OpenTTD and OpenGFX already for some weeks - just few only noticed the trunk commit which made this feature possible :-)
German description wrote:description.de_DE = OpenGFX Basisgrafiken für OpenTTD. Frei verfügbar unter der GNU General Public License in der Version 2. Weitere Informationen sind in der Datei readme.txt oder unter http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX_Readme verfügbar.
EDIT2: Basically I skip the "replacement" part. It's not a replacement. It's the original ;-) Also the English shouldn't talk about replacement, I think. It's just base set.
Zephyris wrote:...drawing spree...
Wow! Concerning the fizzy drinks factory I also would like to advocate some more sophistication - the can looks quite plain and the drinks shouldn't just pour on the ground, should they? The toy shop on the other hand is very nice in its lego brick style and with the flags :-) - though maybe you could add somewhere the toy which is actually produced by the toy factory? Maybe as a sign post or something like that?

EDIT: Really cooool idea for the can, Zuu! Kudos. I like that.
Last edited by planetmaker on 03 Dec 2009 21:21, edited 2 times in total.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

planetmaker wrote: Wow! Concerning the fizzy drinks factory I also would like to advocate some more sophistication - the can looks quite plain and the drinks shouldn't just pour on the ground, should they?
A suggestion... Maybe you could make sprites that are animated, then they pour into a cup which is moved by a small van to the north and south area of the industry? It would look interesting, but it's a lot of work.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

petert wrote:
planetmaker wrote: Wow! Concerning the fizzy drinks factory I also would like to advocate some more sophistication - the can looks quite plain and the drinks shouldn't just pour on the ground, should they?
A suggestion... Maybe you could make sprites that are animated, then they pour into a cup which is moved by a small van to the north and south area of the industry? It would look interesting, but it's a lot of work.
I cannot do that. I can only use the same kind of animation as the traditional base set uses. It's hard coded and not subject to change by any base set. There might be tricks, though...
Last edited by planetmaker on 03 Dec 2009 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Oh, I see. Anyway, nice sprites Zephyris.

Edit:
Would it break savegame compatibility, why isn't it possible?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

petert wrote:Oh, I see. Anyway, nice sprites Zephyris.

Edit:
Would it break savegame compatibility, why isn't it possible?
Dunno. Most probably not. But it would require changes to how base graphics work in general (more like newgrfs). Much work for not too much gain, probably. Tricks can be done by using BIG transparent sprites and creating an illusion of movement in other directions by putting the object to be moved properly in different animation stages, thus sprites. But that doesn't work always either. Like the toffee quary, the movement of that one sprite, the shovel is fixed in the OpenTTD source code. Changing that breaks at least one base set.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

For stability it is not possible to put anything which might cause network desynchs. In effect this means the code for OpenGFX and the original graphics must be identical; something which involves adding animation to an industry would probably not cause desynchs when just using the base graphics, but if a grf is loaded which then interferes with that industry there is the possibility that this could cause different behaviour with different base graphics sets, so desynchs.

*edit* I've also tidied the CC on the sweet factory sprite...
Attachments
fizzydrinksfactory 8bpptmp.png
fizzydrinksfactory 8bpptmp.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
sweetfactory.png
sweetfactory.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Yay! The fizzy factory great. Thanks for taking my suggestion into account.
molace
Engineer
Engineer

Post by molace »

Zephyris wrote:
Did you test whether long engines are also a problem?
I guarantee that is causes the same glitch, thoug I really don't think its a problem - plus extra long train engines look better!

I also was cheeky enough to redraw the fizzy drincs factory...

Great, better than the previous version, but my suggestion is that could you make it more like in the original version(tall open-top with a straw, etc.)
It just looks too "simple" than the other industries.

The toy shop looks awesome. The swets factory too, but that back of it is too empty(maybe put canes there too, or get something on the top of them).

I'll leave the engines untouched for now, if it's an issue i'll work on it later.

Here are some reworked temperate engines and livery overrides. the DMUs got livery overrides with long and the short version too.
Attachments
temperatetrains.pcx
(148.38 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PM: If "replacement" should not be included then the Swedish translation becomes:
OpenGFX basgrafikpaket för OpenTTD. Fritt tillgängligt enligt villkoren för GNU General Public License version 2 licensen. Mer information är tillgänglig i readme-dokumentet på http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX_Readme.

Nice to see someone picking up the fizzy drinks factory. My initial idea was that the big can taps into a smaller one that then taps into a somthing open or maybe a can of the size that is transported on the trucks/wagons.

In my version the flow out of the tap was animated using action colors. So that level of animation is possible.

When you do the construction stages, take in mind that the tap can sometimes appear before the last stage of the can.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

The traditional Chinese version of the passage:
OpenGFX base graphics set for OpenTTD. Freely available under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2. More information available in the readme at http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX_Readme.
---START---
供OpenTTD使用的OpenGFX基本圖形組。使用者可在GNU General Public License version 2授權下免費使用。詳情請參閱於http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX_Readme的讀我文件。
---END---
Note:
If OpenTTD is unable to show (。)
then use period (.) to replace it.

A txt file is also attached.
Simplified Chinese can also use this version, because there is not much difference. (I personally think the traditional Chinese is better than simplified Chinese, because simplified Chinese uses same words to represent multiple meanings, which is very confusing)

Something else...
Great sprites and drawings, Zephyris!
Btw, planetmaker, have you seen the building I was pointing in the previous post?
Attachments
opengfxCHT.txt
(438 Bytes) Downloaded 64 times
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Nice to see someone picking up the fizzy drinks factory. My initial idea was that the big can taps into a smaller one that then taps into a somthing open or maybe a can of the size that is transported on the trucks/wagons.
That is a nice idea...
In my version the flow out of the tap was animated using action colors. So that level of animation is possible.
Same here!
When you do the construction stages, take in mind that the tap can sometimes appear before the last stage of the can.
Hmm, interesting.
All in all it looks like this industry will need some significant tweaking, but tbh I am more interested in getting a full graphics set together atm - improving the graphics comes after that!

And on the subject of a complete set of graphics what is the status of construction stages for the sweet factory, boot and tipi? These really need doing, if the original script is missing then could someone draw them manually?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

2006TTD wrote:The traditional Chinese version of the passage: (...)
Btw, planetmaker, have you seen the building I was pointing in the previous post?
Thanks for the translation :-)

Concerning the building: yes, I see the building you point at. Personally I don't find the look of that building particularily troublesome, though - the 45° edge windows are smaller than the wall windows, yes... but that might be on purpose by the architect IMO. Or maybe you can supply a corrected version of the building? :-) Best obtain and look through the source pcx files to get the sprite and modify it there and post that modified pcx (that way I can then easily fix it).
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... prites/pcx - most probably in either http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... ldings.pcx http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... lding2.pcx http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... ldings.pcx http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... owns02.pcx - but I'm not sure.
Zephyris wrote: And on the subject of a complete set of graphics what is the status of construction stages for the sweet factory, boot and tipi? These really need doing, if the original script is missing then could someone draw them manually?
The script is not really missing, it's part of the repository. But I fail to get it running. But I don't worry too much about construction stages - it's way easier to wrap something existing into a box than something non-existant :-)
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

Let me see if I could find the images...
There's one with no snow and one with! Which should I choose?
And I forgot to say that, the colour of that building should also be dimmer.
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

There's one with no snow and one with! Which should I choose?
Both! Sadly the snow-covered version doesn't appear my magic... I wish it did though!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Next to a few alignment fixes, a few more additions. Note: the bubble generator will always appear in red, there's no random variation possible. A translation company colour to red is hard-coded into OpenTTD's source.

EDIT: overview shot from my test game
Attachments
bubble generator
bubble generator
Anderburg Transport, 02-02-1983.png (81.88 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
sugar mine
sugar mine
Anderburg Transport, 23-01-1983.png (75.85 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
overview over my test game map
overview over my test game map
Anderburg Transport, 14-02-1983.png (125.48 KiB) Viewed 363 times
molace
Engineer
Engineer

Post by molace »

Hi,
I have been redoing the train wagons for every climate, and I have noticed some major problems:
-in the OpenGFX version on some cars, the loading stages are not used properly
-in vanilla graphics some wagons do not have monolev equivalents

I'll fix both issues, but this will mean that the replacement grf will be bigger.

Maybe we should tell the OpenTTD devs about this issue!

Planetmaker:
:( I hope you don't want to you want deliberately make a grf file which will have graphical bugs on the reasons "do not mess up the grf file"? :D
It's a bug from the original TTD, but we have to fix it.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

molace wrote: -in the OpenGFX version on some cars, the loading stages are not used properly
-in vanilla graphics some wagons do not have monolev equivalents

:( I hope you don't want to you want deliberately make a grf file which will have graphical bugs on the reasons "do not mess up the grf file"? :D
It's a bug from the original TTD, but we have to fix it.
Can you elaborate and give examples (screen shots are a good way to do so) what loading stages are not used properly? Is it the same with the original TTD base graphics?
Concerning maglev / monorail: This is a grf, not a newgrf :-). It means primarily a base set replaces sprites on a 1:1 basis. We can - however - provide *static* enhancements. That means we can change things which don't alter the game's behaviour - in the extra grf which is part of this set. Loading stages probably are one of these things. Adding additional wagon types (not just different looks) for maglev and monorail wagons won't work, though. Livery overrides should work as an extension.

Btw, I'm pretty sure OpenTTD devs read this thread, too :-) . But if you think you find a bug in OpenTTD, report it please via their bug tracker. But I haven't yet quite understood what you consider a bug - thus I don't follow your last statement so far either :-)

Please have a bit patience with me (also coding help is welcome!) in implementing the trains. Coding all this takes an aweful lot of time, especially the industries. But I'd like to give them priority as they still produce black boxes. Just the sugar mine took four to five hours work or so. But only two industries left :-)

Return to “Graphics Development”