OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Bilbo »

Terraform symbols
Terraform symbols
gui04a.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
What about these terraforming icons/cursors?
Up and down are modified, the equalize icons are unchanged
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Zephyris wrote:Three points about icons:
Isometric views are reserved for "real" objects; ie. things which appear in-game.
I've redrawn the HDD from top view, fixed.
Zephyris wrote:All icons have black outlines around all non-transparent parts of the icon.
Adding black outline cause the graph to look quite ugly. I've redone the background and it is now black (with black outline), so this should be better :)
Zephyris wrote:All other arrows in icons are the same size, colour and shading, these should match those too.
Colour and shading yes, but same size? No, I've seen arrows of different sizes throughout the set. I've fixed the colour and shading.

Should be better now:
Another attempt
Another attempt
tb_opengfx.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 5192 times

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Bilbo wrote:What about these terraforming icons/cursors?
I like them more. You need some time to get familiar with the new GUI. (Like with the whole set anyway.)

Maybe it is worth to commit those changes to the repo, so we can test play them with next nightly, if it goes worse, revert shouldn't be hard. ;-)

Greets
Ammler
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I wouldn't imagine the arrows are needed on the save icon. As long as it clearly shows what it is, people should get the idea, like you would with the TTD icon.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Maybe the (32bpp) toolbar by Joed can give some inspiration? :) I can't do it better than the one currently on OpenGFX but somehow Joed's looks a bit more professional. It has been talked about already at page 8/9/10 of this thread. Problem is that only the main toolbar has been done by him.

1st is 32bpp, 2nd is 8bpp, 3rd is 8bpp tweaked by *can't remember*
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

I pushed the changed terraforming icons to hg.

I removed the arrows and made the harddisk a bit larger:
No arrows
No arrows
tb_opengfx.png (1.06 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
What do you think of it now?

cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I preferred the one with the arrows. Everyone is familiar with a floppy, because even today it is the universal sign for saving. People not knowing would fail to understand what the hard disk is, but the arrows make it feel like a load/save button.

About the 32bpp icons, I find them very pretty too. The only reason they look more professional though is because of the colours. With 256 colours, you can't get as pretty as that. And even though they are nice, I don't like them because they are not clear enough about what they lead to IMO.

But in any case, I preferred the CD version. I found it clear enough, but I don't mind switching to the HDD one.

I like the black graph icon better than the previous.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

cmoiromain wrote:Everyone is familiar with a floppy, because even today it is the universal sign for saving.
I would agree with this. Even modern and new games, with multiple cores, anti aliasing and amazing AI still use the floppy disk as a symbol of saving and loading, when the words themselves cannot be used.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Ok, so what about this floppy?
A floppy, then
A floppy, then
tb_opengfx.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I like it. Let's see what the others think about it.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

We have a winner.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Just a few more changes; added some extra shading to the floppy disc, made the onclick graphic, resized the graph icon to match the others of that style and tweaked the outlines to match the other icons.
Attachments
tb_opengfx_mod.png
tb_opengfx_mod.png (796 Bytes) Viewed 4928 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:Just a few more changes; added some extra shading to the floppy disc, made the onclick graphic, resized the graph icon to match the others of that style and tweaked the outlines to match the other icons.
Good work! They now look crisper and clearer to me.
edorfaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edorfaus »

Hi, I've been reading here a good while now, and finally got around to trying to help out a bit...

I'm not really an artist, and in particular not a sprite artist (programmer, actually), but that's what's needed it seems... so I decided to try my hand at it, starting with something simple. To be precise, toyland trees. :) (I like toyland, so it's what I usually play.)

Here's what I've got so far; I intended to start with the upside-down cone, but haven't drawn the top yet - thought what I have kinda looks like a fan or somesuch so figured I'd see what the rest of you think.

To be honest, this is a simple cut-and-paste job based on the cone tree... :P
That's allowed, right? Since I started with ogfx graphics, not ttd graphics?
"fan" tree, along with original cone tree for comparison.
toyland_tree.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
I used grfcodec to get the original sprites I modified out of ogfx1_base.grf, but had to convert the palette (-m 1) to get it to look right; is that normal?
Edit 3: nevermind, I figured it out. I should have used -p 2 instead. The palettes on the pics I posted will probably need back-converting before use.

Edit: added png version for inline visibility.
Edit 2: fixed the canvas size to be a multiple of 4.
Attachments
toyland_tree.pcx
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by edorfaus on 13 Jul 2009 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
edorfaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edorfaus »

It seems the muses wanted to try out their mallet on my head... I was suddenly struck by inspiration.

This is for the other toyland tree that hadn't been done yet; I stole LordAzamath's company statue this time (I hope he doesn't mind), or at least the balloon from it, and modded it to suit my purpose as a tree. The idea is a balloon being blown up, flying a while, then deflating and landing on its string.
Balloon tree
Balloon tree
toyland_tree_balloon.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Comments? Criticism? Suggestions? Heck, I'll even accept praise, if that's what it takes... ;)

I guess the next thing I should do is learn to code it, so I can see how it looks in-game...
Edit: Well, that wasn't so hard... Just decode a nightly, paste in my sprites, and re-encode. :) (well, a minor edit to the .nfo for 1953(it's larger))
Balloons look OK to my eyes, but the "fan" doesn't :P it just looks weird. I'll have to finish the cone inversion job, or come up with something else...
Attachments
toyland_tree_balloon.pcx
Balloon tree
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Updated the development ticket, only coding left now. :-)
https://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/106

Please provide us also with the nfo (adjustments), if you have already done it. Would make it easier. ;-)
Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

First sprite but what do you think for The toyland Statue?
Attachments
Toyland Statue
Toyland Statue
New sprite270.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

edorfaus wrote:It seems the muses wanted to try out their mallet on my head... I was suddenly struck by inspiration.
Wow, those baloons look quite nice :) Let's see how that we now can get them ingame... The coding is luckily not too hard on the OpenGFX side, so I guess either FooBar, Ammler or me will do that pretty soon :)

EDIT: I implemented the balloon trees in r132. The upside down cone will follow when I figure out where that goes :)

Cheers,
pm
Spaz O Mataz wrote:First sprite but what do you think for The toyland Statue?
I like the funny statue! Such gnome fits toyland nicely :)

EDIT2: how do you guys want to be credited? If I don't hear anything special I'll add your forum nick to the credits. Of course you could also or additionally have your real name mentioned there. Just tell.
edorfaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by edorfaus »

planetmaker wrote:The upside down cone will follow when I figure out where that goes :)
Sprites 1947-1953, same grf as the balloon tree (ogfx1_base.grf).
Ammler wrote:Please provide us also with the nfo (adjustments), if you have already done it.
Only nfo adjustment I made was for sprite 1953, because of its changed size (the others are same size as before):
ogfx1_base.nfo wrote: 1953 sprites/ogfx1_base08.PCX 90 664 09 39 18 -9 -33
I decoded the grf with -w 1024 -h 768, so for the offsets (and filename) to match you'll have to do the same, I guess. Also, I moved the sprite 8 pixels to the left to make room for it. (I could attach the pcx, I guess, if you want it - or one with nfo from re-decoding...)
planetmaker wrote:how do you guys want to be credited? If I don't hear anything special I'll add your forum nick to the credits. Of course you could also or additionally have your real name mentioned there. Just tell.
This should work, and match the others on the page: EdorFaus (Frode Austvik)
(I much prefer keeping login names in lowercase, but this forum doesn't seem to distinguish that from display names)

EDIT: Here's an improved upside-down cone tree, that actually looks like it. Only the full-grown sprite though, haven't done the growing phases yet. I think it looks better than the "fan" one, especially when it gets other colors in-game (this blue one is a little.. hm). What do you think?
Attachments
tl-tree-udcone.png
tl-tree-udcone.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Right. A concept for 4625
Attachments
newbuilding2.png
newbuilding2.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4527 times