New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:@Aracirion i believe ive seen that house before but its great your way as well
seen before where? tt forum or real life? do u still have a link?
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Do we really have to add ads? It just wouldnt fit a building like that.. It would really crap things up according to me.. Perhaps in a later age when the buildings are old and ads are A LOT more common.. But I dont like ads on these buildings at all, no matter how fun it is to invent company names!
its also gonna look very repetetive, if not added afterwards randomly. That would be the best thing so that ads can adjust to age.. No ads at all in beginning..
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

Field-Mouse wrote:Do we really have to add ads? It just wouldnt fit a building like that.. It would really crap things up according to me.. Perhaps in a later age when the buildings are old and ads are A LOT more common.. But I dont like ads on these buildings at all, no matter how fun it is to invent company names!
its also gonna look very repetetive, if not added afterwards randomly. That would be the best thing so that ads can adjust to age.. No ads at all in beginning..
There's a render without ad... Doesn't it look more bland somehow? Although I am not very enthusiastic about ads I thought they would give the buildings more life .... maybe we could have ads like the unreadable black one and remove the bright white one?

anything like appearing later in game involves coding, so I think its not an option for now ... and it would lead to sprite-proliferation ... I wonder how many sprites it will be possible to add
Attachments
1x1 shop noad.png
1x1 shop noad.png (136.12 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Yeah.. perhaps.. I didnt even see the black one at first.. the black one COULD stay but the white one on the roof has to go... If I get to decide :)
Perhaps adding blurred interior in the shops on bottom floor.. I have no idea how to do it in blender, but it would give the building more life and color. It cant be too clear though, u should not be able to see what it is, then it would look repetetive.. Same applies to the signs and ads..
Anyways, the black ad is pretty discreet and blends into the building better, but roof mounted ads like the white one looks very missplaced on that building.. Not even sure its LEGAL to place an ad like that on a house like that. (IRL Seriuosly)
Last edited by Field-Mouse on 18 Dec 2006 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Final:

Attachments
country_house_2.zip
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 1288 times
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Looking good brupje! :D
Let me guess and speculate:
You are Swedish? (Polygons named "Blad##")
You used Xfrog for the tree?
Hehe, correct me where im wrong :)

The house is very nice and I cant come up with anything to improve, personally I would call it "done" now. :)

Can someone explain to me how I can SEE the textures in blender, I think I know how to apply them to the mesh but I cant get it to show in the perspective/ortographic view... I just see it on the "geometry of chioce" in the preview thingy in the panels..

This house is really really good looking.. really really.. :)
Perhaps ONE thing.. mailbox.. not that it matters :P
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Field-Mouse wrote:Looking good brupje! :D
Let me guess and speculate:
You are Swedish? (Polygons named "Blad##")
You used Xfrog for the tree?
Hehe, correct me where im wrong :)

The house is very nice and I cant come up with anything to improve, personally I would call it "done" now. :)

Can someone explain to me how I can SEE the textures in blender, I think I know how to apply them to the mesh but I cant get it to show in the perspective/ortographic view... I just see it on the "geometry of chioce" in the preview thingy in the panels..

This house is really really good looking.. really really.. :)
Perhaps ONE thing.. mailbox.. not that it matters :P
Thanks!

sorry, you guessed wrong, I'm dutch. Blad is Dutch, by lack of an English word coming to mind I used that :p
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

brupje wrote: Thanks!

sorry, you guessed wrong, I'm dutch. Blad is Dutch, by lack of an English word coming to mind I used that :p
Really? does blad mean "leaf"? thats what it means in swedish.. :P
What about xfrog? is that the program you are using to create the trees and other plants?? And about the textures.. how do i set blender to show the textures?
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Field-Mouse wrote:
brupje wrote: Thanks!

Really? does blad mean "leaf"? thats what it means in swedish.. :P
What about xfrog? is that the program you are using to create the trees and other plants?? And about the textures.. how do i set blender to show the textures?
leaf yeah, that's the word ;p Guess it's the same in Dutch and swedish ;p

I used lsystem for the trees. http://www.geocities.com/blenderdungeon ... index.html
The flowers are my own modelling :p

To my knowledge textures cannot be drawn in wireframe mode, only when rendered. There are some texture 'modes' selectable, but I really can't tell you what they are supposed to do :)
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

brupje wrote:
leaf yeah, that's the word ;p Guess it's the same in Dutch and swedish ;p

I used lsystem for the trees. http://www.geocities.com/blenderdungeon ... index.html
The flowers are my own modelling :p

To my knowledge textures cannot be drawn in wireframe mode, only when rendered. There are some texture 'modes' selectable, but I really can't tell you what they are supposed to do :)
I see.. that seems crappy.. how do you edit the position of the texture anyways? ahh forget it, I have to read some more about blender when I get the time and energy:P hehe
Might try that "lsystem" too.. when i get time :)
BTW, branch is "gren" on swedish, perhaps on dutch too eh? :D haha!
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Field-Mouse wrote: I see.. that seems crappy.. how do you edit the position of the texture anyways? ahh forget it, I have to read some more about blender when I get the time and energy:P hehe
Might try that "lsystem" too.. when i get time :)
Well texturing is the hardest part :P Besides finding a good texture that is.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Aracirion: Good building but Im unshore on the windows, but equally unshore as to why, or what to suggest!. I must agree with field-mouse after considering it, having letters on things personallise them, and leaves less to the imagination in game.

brupje: You house looks very good, and the clean white is better than the tinted green for shore.

Field-Mouse: I thourght you were using SI? and I thourght xfrog was the max plugin, not blender?...Im confused.
Ben
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE:

DO NOT MAKE VERY DARK THE SPRITES. DO NOT MAKE THEM VERY GRAY. WE ARE 32BIT! STAY CLOSE TO ORIGINAL SPRITES!!! ELSE THEY WILL BE GLOOMY :?
(ADJUST YOUR MONITORS: MAKE SURE THAT BLACK IS THE SAME BLACK AS THE AREA AROUND YOUR DISPLAY. DO THIS IN A DARK ROOM).

IF YOU MAKE THE BUILDINGS WITH BIG CONTRAST BETWEEN BRIGHT
AND SHADED SIDE THEY WILL LOOK METALLIC. THIS IS ACCEPTABLE ONLY FOR VEHICLES AND METAL CONSTRUCTIONS.

brupje: Your country house is great. Still I believe it needs some refinement:
1. Finally you removed the greenish color of the building. The house is not in the center of the city andd there is a lot of grass around. Better to avoid green in country houses. We can use it in central buildings. But now the whole building is grey. Use some color for the walls or the windows and make more white the balconies. The original blue tint is a good suggestion.
2 The roof is dark. So there is no big difference between bright and shaded side. (You imitated BerberJesus on this. So the same applies for BerberJesus.) Make it brighter and put some color too. A bit of red or brown. (BerberJesus: Your roof jusst needs to be a bit brighter, else is OK.)
3. The flowers in the garden are missing! They would add some nice variation from the monotonous green grass of the base (tile).
4. The top of the hedge is OK, but as it goes down it mixes and confuses with the base grass. It doesn't stand out. May make it a bit brighter and expand the different hue green of the top more down? Also make the hedge look more smooth. It seems that the owner doesn't care about it too much!

About your station: The area under the chairs should be empty! Usually we have mettal or plastic chairs ssupported by metallic pipes or whatever else. A filled area looks like cement and this was the case many years before (60s or earlier).

Aracirion: clydesdale is very cool! Make a variation with a few more floors, as yours is much shorter from original. (Like the one in TTRS3.)

With "ampa" or without? I prefer without. Imagine the same name appearing on several buildings in the same city. Unless you manage to draw ahalf a dozen of company names and manage to use them as variations. Also I noticed that original windows color is gone. Please put some color on the windows.

Mexicoshanty: Your idea for the bus stop is great. Add a kiosk or other commercial store on the rest of the tile that the station occupies. Maybe a small park with a kiosk on one side and a store on the other side. These could accept passengers, goods, food.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

athanasios wrote:PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE:

DO NOT MAKE VERY DARK THE SPRITES. DO NOT MAKE THEM VERY GRAY. WE ARE 32BIT! STAY CLOSE TO ORIGINAL SPRITES!!! ELSE THEY WILL BE GLOOMY :?
(ADJUST YOUR MONITORS: MAKE SURE THAT BLACK IS THE SAME BLACK AS THE AREA AROUND YOUR DISPLAY. DO THIS IN A DARK ROOM).

IF YOU MAKE THE BUILDINGS WITH BIG CONTRAST BETWEEN BRIGHT
AND SHADED SIDE THEY WILL LOOK METALLIC. THIS IS ACCEPTABLE ONLY FOR VEHICLES AND METAL CONSTRUCTIONS.

brupje: Your country house is great. Still I believe it needs some refinement:
1. Finally you removed the greenish color of the building. The house is not in the center of the city andd there is a lot of grass around. Better to avoid green in country houses. We can use it in central buildings. But now the whole building is grey. Use some color for the walls or the windows and make more white the balconies. The original blue tint is a good suggestion.
2 The roof is dark. So there is no big difference between bright and shaded side. (You imitated BerberJesus on this. So the same applies for BerberJesus.) Make it brighter and put some color too. A bit of red or brown. (BerberJesus: Your roof jusst needs to be a bit brighter, else is OK.)
3. The flowers in the garden are missing! They would add some nice variation from the monotonous green grass of the base (tile).
4. The top of the hedge is OK, but as it goes down it mixes and confuses with the base grass. It doesn't stand out. May make it a bit brighter and expand the different hue green of the top more down? Also make the hedge look more smooth. It seems that the owner doesn't care about it too much!

About your station: The area under the chairs should be empty! Usually we have mettal or plastic chairs ssupported by metallic pipes or whatever else. A filled area looks like cement and this was the case many years before (60s or earlier).
Please no shouting, I might go blind :P The high contrast between shaded/not shaded is mainly due to the default lightsetup. And I like it. Gives a sunny feeling :) I try to create believable buildings, not some cartoon style. You should keep in mind that a lot of buildings with very different colors will look horrible in the game.

2: My monitor is set to quite dark, and the roof looks fine to me.
3: check again, there _ARE_ flowers.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Aracirion wrote:
ZxBiohazardZx wrote:@Aracirion i believe ive seen that house before but its great your way as well
seen before where? tt forum or real life? do u still have a link?
here on this tt-forum, its in the datebase i think, not 100% sure it is the same, i assumed not:)
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote: Field-Mouse: I thourght you were using SI? and I thourght xfrog was the max plugin, not blender?...Im confused.
I am using XSI to model, but I want to stay "standard" and convert it to .blend and to get the correct lighting setup and that.. Problem is I cant seem to export with textures :(
xFrog is a standalone application with different types of exporters. A program I like :)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Brupje: The CAPITALS were just adressed to everybody, they were not directed against you, certainly not to 'blind' you :)
About cartoon color style buildings: I also hate them (except in toyland). I wrote "blue tint", meaning with the shame saturation like the green you used in previous darwing, and correctly removed, for the walls or more saturated blue (not blue!) for the windows, if walls remained the same like final drawing.
Did you ever play simutrans 128? There you will find many cartoon color buildings. (I haved checked for a couple of months if they added something new.) (I do not want to blame those who contributed those buildings, they did a great job, yet a small refinement = less saturation would be cool).

And an attempt under paintshop:
Attachments
B001_01_UNFINISHED.pcx
(41.2 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

athanasios: Its a lot easier for everyone if you attach the image that everyone can see. I have added it in .png.

I would agree with some of the points you have made, and critisms are vital but please don't write it as "DO NOT...". Requests or critisms are more welcome than orders.
Attachments
b001_01_unfinished_176.png
b001_01_unfinished_176.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Ben
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

athanasios wrote:And an attempt under paintshop:
I thought you didn't like things being gray? That attempt is bloody boring. I think the 3d render that brupje did of the house is perfect. Yes it is gray but it is also very lively with a colour depth of 32bit. Unlike your 4bit example.

EDIT: Maybe there is something wrong with your display adapter, monitor or the colour recognition thing in your eyes. Because i dont understand you can seriously claim that the renders here aren't taking advantage of the 32bit colour space while you s*** out an attempt that contradicts everything you say.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Er?
I agree that this building does look a little under-bitted compared to the other rendered buildings in this thread, but there's no need to throw a hissy-fit.
Come to think of it, that building would look quite nice in TTDPatch. ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”