32 bpp patch (plus gradients)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

32 bpp patch (plus gradients)

Post by boekabart »

Hi,

Well.... 32bpp is here. I guess the screenshot says it all. The win32 exe is for download here

This exe is based on the trunk, r2905, so included in the RAR are the new graphics files.
With this patch, 8 bpp and 32 bpp is switchable (only in code) so I also included the 8bpp version, also in this version the zoom filtering works fine. A bit less beautiful though.

Main reason for this patch is that I wanted to make windows with a gradient, but people didn't like the dithering I had to do to make it look decent. They suggested 32bpp..... So I made that.

Just posted v0.3, fixes mainly for the filtered zoom.
The remaining bugs:
* Something with scrolling isn't right, artefacts. (I think solved in v0.3)
* Since it uses filtering (4x, 16x) for the zoomed out modes, these are quite a bit slower now. Especially the initial switch to them. But they look awesome. The slowness is fixed in v0.5!
* Palette scrolls no longer works. No idea how I'm going to do that one... Disabled hardcoded in 32bpp mode now, to remove artefacts
* Startup of the 8 bit version takes a bit longer since it has to init a 16mb color32 to palette conversion table. This only with super_zoom enabled.[/b]
Attachments
There it is!
There it is!
32bpp Zoomed Out with FancyZoom.PNG (153.52 KiB) Viewed 11853 times
Last edited by boekabart on 06 Sep 2005 08:17, edited 4 times in total.
bociusz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: 32 bpp patch

Post by bociusz »

Could you post a .diff file, please?
qball
Engineer
Engineer

Post by qball »

if you would have searched the forum, or joined the irc channel you would have known there are allready 2 (if notmistaking) 32bit patches availible.
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

qball wrote:if you would have searched the forum, or joined the irc channel you would have known there are allready 2 (if notmistaking) 32bit patches availible.
As far as I've been able to find the devs/newgfx team have something, yes. But nothing the 'general public' can use as of now. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just ported the current engine to 32bpp so that I could use some more effects, not trying to support 32bpp graphics or so. Wouldn't dare...

Anyway, I learned a lot about the engine of Ottd this way. And I implemented this great filtered zoom-mode feature! (See screenshot)

I will post a diff soon, until then play with the exe :-)
Attachments
32bpp Superzoom On and Off.PNG
32bpp Superzoom On and Off.PNG (175.21 KiB) Viewed 11804 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

This certainly looks much better than the 8bpps mode you had earlier :).

I am not in the 32bpp development part, so I don't know exactly how it is progressing; should ask sometime; but I think it's best and most efficient to contact the two other 32bpp version creators and do collaboration instead of doing a whole lot of work again (unless you like to do it of course ;). One of them is Tron, the other one is Mek. With luck you can find them on IRC or you can PM them here on the forums.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

He gave me an error when I try to open OTTD.
I don't have nsignalsw.grf
I do have signalsw.grf (what's with the N?)
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

nsignalsw.grf is for the pbs signals, if you do no have them, download that from the ttdpatch site and extract in the data folder.

EDIT: When I start my game the graphics are the same that the old, only changes the color of the gradient windows.
Last edited by nicfer on 03 Sep 2005 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Mr. X wrote:He gave me an error when I try to open OTTD.
I don't have nsignalsw.grf
I do have signalsw.grf (what's with the N?)
As written together with the link, this is a Trunk build. You'll need the graphics files from the data folder in the SVN.
I updated the file on the URL above; the download is a bit bigger but it contains the language pack AND the new graphics files. Plus 2 bugs were fixed! (resize works; cursor is OK now)
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

okay, thanx, and good work! :)
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Update

Post by boekabart »

I've put v0.2 HERE, and I've modified the start post.
I'd appreciate bugreports, if possible with coding help on what may cause them.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

bociusz wrote:Could you post a .diff file, please?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

DaleStan wrote:
bociusz wrote:Could you post a .diff file, please?
Once I fix the little things I'm working on now, I will. A little patience... Also I want to clean up and comment it here and there before going public.

The diff is gonna be bigger than the exe I'm afraid :D
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

v0.3 + diff

Post by boekabart »

Last one for today, is stable and without artifacts. Actually very usable, I think.

I call it v0.3, the exe you can find HERE

Fullscreen mode works, but by default it creates a 8bpp fullscreen-window with a automatic palette, which looks bad. To use fullscreen, change the following in your cfg file:

Code: Select all

[win32]
fullscreen_bpp = 32
The remaining bugs:
* Something with scrolling isn't right, artefacts. (Though may be solved in v0.3)
* Since it uses filtering (4x, 16x) for the zoomed out modes, these are quite a bit slower now. Especially the initial switch to them. But they look awesome.
* Palette scrolls no longer works. No idea how I'm going to do that one... Disabled hardcoded in 32bpp mode now, to remove artefacts
* Startup of the 8 bit version takes a bit longer since it has to init a 16mb color32 to palette conversion table. This only with super_zoom enabled.
* Only Win32!!!! Did not look at SDL code yet. v0.4?

And finally, a diff attached. Hope it works for all of you!
Attachments
32bpp_Gradient_SuperZoom_for_r2905_v0.3.diff
(41.1 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

invalid lang packs in 0.4
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Nanaki13 wrote:invalid lang packs in 0.4
Sorry about that. Please redownload. Also contains minor fix for season patch.
Attachments
32bpp_Gradient_SuperZoom_Seasons_for_r2905_v0.4.1.diff
(46.39 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I love the filtered zoom. Best thing sinced sliced bread. :wink:

shame it eats my CPU though :(
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

boekabart, you got my PM.... any response?

are you wishing to embark on a 32bpp total GUI revamp? or will you just leave it at the gradients stuff?

if you are wishing to, then communication would be awsome.

Alltaken
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ooh, this looks very nice indeed. :) Just downloading the EXE now (6.8KB/s, how slow... 3 weeks ago, that would have been fast for me though!). :)
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

It looks cool and works great, but when I want to enlarge the window of fully maximize the window, the game crashes. (even when I change fullscreen_bpp = to 32) Am I doing something wrong here?
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

It's a known bug.... but very unknown what causes it....

Post by boekabart »

Mr. X wrote:It looks cool and works great, but when I want to enlarge the window of fully maximize the window, the game crashes. (even when I change fullscreen_bpp = to 32) Am I doing something wrong here?
No, it's a bug I thought was fixed but apparently isn't. I myself can move the window, maximize/unmaximize (restore) it, and vertically resize it. but either left or right side horizontal resize (larger or smaller) crashes the game. Working on that (anyone who can look into it maybe?).
I'm also working on something that should make the filtered zoom a whole lot more usable (CPU-wise).

Return to “Graphics Development”