META - WIP

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: META - WIP

Post by V453000 :) »

: DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE THE BILLBOARD BIGGER SO IT IS READABLE IN GAME IT IS SO HILLARIOUS : DDDDDDDD
ImageImageImage
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Here's the fourth view, along with details of the stamped metal stools and teak tables in the courtyard. Rather than use the ubiquitous Tolix stools one sees around the world, I decided to design a circular version with three legs. I can make these bits available to other's who may need them as well, in case you want them for houses or I guess even a stack of stools as waiting goods cargo...
Attachments
Moa Pub 4.png
Moa Pub 4.png (372.83 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Moa Furniture.PNG
Moa Furniture.PNG (332.11 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Stuff is good, I like it a lot ... I do not know how much options does Rhino have in terms of texturing, but you could very much use some dirt, leaks, scratches, broken plaster showing bricks, or anything that would make it feel more alive, it is very clean now.
ImageImageImage
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

V453000 :) wrote:: DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE THE BILLBOARD BIGGER SO IT IS READABLE IN GAME IT IS SO HILLARIOUS : DDDDDDDD

Hah, maybe... if not on this building then on another... I aim to have 6 or so painted advertisements that could reasonably fit between 1870 and 1930 or so,for various fictitious beers. Part of me likes the abstraction of not being able to read the billboard - so it can be more generic, while I know what it says because I drew it. If I make the advertisements at a readable scale I'd probably spend more time fretting over the actual design and typography of them.
V453000 :) wrote: I do not know how much options does Rhino have in terms of texturing, but you could very much use some dirt, leaks, scratches, broken plaster showing bricks,
I definitely would like to, but it's a ton of work in flamingo (the only Rhino rendering plug-in I have). I am slowly figuring out how to add more 'life' without having to actually model all of it, so that is satisfying. As Rhino works in surfaces, not volumes, it doesn't really have a way to do UV unwrapping (newer versions have a way of approximating it, but I do not own them..). Flamingo is primarily aimed at more industrial design areas: Automotive conceptual work, product designs, yacht design, and jewelry. It is great for highly reflective surfaces, or iridescent materials but sorely lacking for photo-realistic grimy materials (no one wants their concept yacht dirty and covered in barnacles..). Because of all of this, I am often torn as how much further to go learning workarounds, as the tool is only tangentially related to where I see myself going professionally in the next few years. Using a project to instead learn a new program could be advantageous, as could trying to come up with the money to buy a new version of Rhino and an architectural focused renderer.

I've been coming up with ways to dirty up the buildings, however. One way is just adding more stuff and detail. Even if everything is clean, having more modeled detail goes a long way to breaking up a flat bare wall. Another is overlaying 'decals' on surfaces - the same process used to apply the beer mural. by making partially transparent gradients of dirt etc and applying them to surfaces, you can grime them up a bit, but this involves tailoring each decal to a certain type of surface. Another way is to edit the texture that the material uses - but I've been avoiding this as it would involve creating tons new materials (Dark grey painted brick, dark grey painted brick with dirt along bottom, dark grey painted brick with water stain, etc). The materials are global, so I've been trying to get the most mileage out of them with good procedural effects and bump maps. I also use blending procedures, where one material is blended, marbled, or speckled with one or more others. I use this to add bluestone aggregate to concrete and asphalt materials, to marble the road paint with transparent voids to achieve a crackled effect, to mix brick and mortar on bricks etc. I've been thinking of marbling or speckling plaster or painted brick with bare brick (most of the Melbourne buildings near me look like that). The problem is, these materials are not readily exportable to other plug ins or programs (possible, but not straightforward) so I am unsure how far to go in creating more and more exotic surface treatments, whereas detail objects can be imported into any modeler.

Thanks for the feedback though! My next step is to grime up platforms and ballast a bit, then do a 40s station or the monorail station. I'd like to see roads and stations playable before i go down the houses rabbit hole.

Best,
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Getting way out of hand...
Beer.png
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

These models are looking excellent Supermop. Really enjoying the limits you're pushing at here.

Return to “Graphics Development”