Official AI?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

svalan
Engineer
Engineer

Official AI?

Post by svalan »

Is there some kind of "official" AI that the most players use? I just want to play the game the way i used to play TTD. Looking a competitive and fun AI...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Official AI?

Post by Zuu »

As far as I know there has been no surveys or polls like that to find out what AIs that most users use. The download counts can't really be used as a measure of how popular an AI is. They are zeroed for each update and even if you would get the total figure of an AI it depends on how many updates there has been and when they have happened etc.

Now let's take a look on what you said regarding what type of AI you are looking for.
svalan wrote:I just want to play the game the way i used to play TTD
SimpleAI is probably the AI that most resemble to the old AI. That said, it doesn't use the same pathfinders as the old AI.
svalan wrote:Looking a competitive and fun AI...
Perhaps you could start by trying NoCAB and AdmiralAI. Don't be afraid to try out some of the others as well. You can start a new game with 3-4 AIs that start 30-60 days apart from each other and see how they work.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

svalan wrote:Is there some kind of "official" AI that the most players use? I just want to play the game the way i used to play TTD. Looking a competitive and fun AI...
For the most TTD like fun experience I'd recommend Brumi's SimpleAI as it's the re-creation of the AI from TTD (it doesn't use planes yet). :-)

Of course AdmiralAI and NiceCAB are right there also for some additional challenge perhaps.
svalan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by svalan »

Been playing around a bit with AI, but it feels frustrating. As a casual gamer with full time job I don't like trying an AI and having it crash mid-game or seeing after while that it makes strange things. Will there be some process to brand some AI official/approved and include them from the go in the game? It would make things much simpler for us who just play casually and I think it would to a lot to expand your player base and the number of fans of the game. :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

And who defines an AI to be stable? The author him/herself? Some dev? After what kind of testing?

You can always start a new AI player even mid-game by typing "start_ai" in the in-game console and delete running or crashed ones by "stop_ai CompanyNumber".
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

In case of crashed AI you should send bug report (in topic of that ai). And that bug will be fixed. In case of AIAI saving and later loading game is enough to remove results of crash and so far no one have reported strange behaviours. On the other hand AIAI is rather stupid, it (so far) uses only trucks.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Steffl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steffl »

planetmaker wrote:And who defines an AI to be stable? The author him/herself? Some dev? After what kind of testing?
This is right, this is difficult. But some AI's are more stable than others and I know how frustrating it is when you start to play this game and you have to test each AI if it crashes or not. And same AI's are playing very good, but crashes after loading a game.

I would name stable for myself SimpleAI, NoCab, Admiral AI, CluelessPlus, AIAI and Trains AI.
This AI's crashes very rare / never and if a play a game I randomly take one of this AI's (and my own eventually).
I think there are other AIs which are also nearly bugfree, but I don't tested all of them.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”