[OTTD][CargoDest]Rocket Rails Inc.

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD][CargoDest]Rocket Rails Inc.

Post by Roujin »

Hi there!

As you may have noticed, there is an ongoing effort to implement cargo destinations into OpenTTD.
I have started a game with a WIP version of the patch, and will post screenshots of it in this thread.

(hopefully I don't get demotivated of it like last time I made a screenshot thread with Kathius' paxdest patch :P)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD][CargoDest]Rocket Rails Inc.

Post by Roujin »

My company starts its service in the city of Fort Brontfingley (hooray for *TTD*'s town names :lol: ). A rail station is constructed with additional lines for future expansion. Next to it is a bus station for a feeder service from the town center, and the companies HQ which is merely a small hut now but will hopefully grow to a big building some time :)
Rocket Rails Inc., 26th Nov 1950.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 26th Nov 1950.png (140.97 KiB) Viewed 10992 times

In the following two screenshots, there are no signals and no trains yet.
The first line continues from Fort Brontfingley to Sleburg, then Brondston...
Rocket Rails Inc., 3rd Dec 1950.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 3rd Dec 1950.png (165.62 KiB) Viewed 10992 times

... and finally (for now) ends at the town of Slartwood. The trains will go into the depot from there to reverse and go back.
Rocket Rails Inc., 8th Dec 1950.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 8th Dec 1950.png (109.79 KiB) Viewed 10982 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

This map shows the current connections.
Attachments
Rocket Rails Inc., 8th Sep 1951.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 8th Sep 1951.png (102.3 KiB) Viewed 10973 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Two trains are now operating on the first line, and some buses are transporting passengers between the town center of Fort Brontfingley and its rail station.
Now it's time to extend rail services to another town, Pluntfingford to the south of the current line.

For this, a switch is constructed not far behind Sleburg...
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#1.png (163.08 KiB) Viewed 10947 times
The new line ends in Pluntfingford.
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#2.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#2.png (174.44 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
A third train commences service, going from Fort Brontfingley's station which is appearently getting more and more crowded to Sleburg and then to the newly connected Pluntfingford; and back.
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#3.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 30th Apr 1952#3.png (141.29 KiB) Viewed 10913 times

ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Your stations are a bit... boring, if I may comment. :P

I'm interested in the GUI how OTTD handels PassengerDestinations and CargoDestinatiosn. Could you show a few of those GUI windows?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

@Purno: yes, I have been very lazy with these stations. I shall make them a bit nicer some time.

For now, the following 3 screenshots are showing some details about the CargoDest patch, rather than anything new or interesting from my particular game. ;)

You see here that the northbound train that just arrived at the station gained both regular income (for dropping off passengers/mail that had Sleburg as destination), and (virtual) transfer money, for passengers/mail that came from the west (first constructed line), and get off in Sleburg to change to the newly constructed line 2, going to Pluntfingford in the south.
edit: only after posting this screenshot, i noticed that obviously something is off on this shot. Of course I haven't just earned 100.000 DM. I have reported this bug to the devs, so it will surely be fixed soon :)
Rocket Rails Inc., 29th Jul 1952.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 29th Jul 1952.png (158.38 KiB) Viewed 10883 times
In the next screenshot, again the map with the newly constructed connection to Pluntfingford. Also, you can see that the dots for Fort Brontfingley (rail station) and Sleburg have gotten bigger, which at the moment indicates that more passengers are waiting there. The devs working on the patch are stating that this is going to be changed some time to make more sense if we're e.g. transporting something else.
Also to be seen on this screenshot is the detailed station window view (expandable from the normal view), showing the next hop of the waiting passengers and mail. You can see that there's few passengers and no mail going to Brontfingley HBF because a train has just left into that direction.
Rocket Rails Inc., 24th Aug 1952#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 24th Aug 1952#1.png (117.17 KiB) Viewed 10866 times

Here you can see a new option in the patches/Interface settings, which allows you to customize what information is displayed in the station window. In this screen I've set it to "all sources and destinations", which displays the most detailed information (and makes your window potentially very very big). Possible settings are "all sources and destinations", "destinations only" and "next hop only", the latter of which I've used on the previous screenshot.
edit: what you can also see in this screenshot is how to expand the display for any cargo to show the detailed info. In this screen, detailed info is shown for passengers, but not for mail (toggleable by clicking the +/-)
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Oct 1952.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Oct 1952.png (103.12 KiB) Viewed 10851 times
In the patch, there are four more patch settings, located in the "Economy" tab. (I won't show them as there's nothing special to them.) They are to enable/disable cargo destinations for
* passengers
* mail
* valuables
* other.
If disabled, the cargo can be delivered to anywhere, like in the normal game.

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Some time has passed and the income generated by the company's vehicles was spent on
* buying more trains to operate on the existing routes - now there are three trains running on each.
* connecting some of the serviced towns with roads
* beautifying the stations a bit, adding some benches and other stuff here and there, after an advisor told the company that its stations were... boring :P

In the following screenshots, you can see the stations of Fort Brontfingley, Pluntfingford and Sleburg again after their renovation, the latter of which has also been extended with a third platform. The middle platforms is now used in both directions, depending on how they're needed.
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956.png (150.9 KiB) Viewed 10797 times
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956#1.png (179.2 KiB) Viewed 10776 times
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956#2.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 9th Mar 1956#2.png (167.86 KiB) Viewed 10761 times
Purno: better? :P I must admit that I'm not a skilled player, nor artist, other than some geniuses around here in the screenshot section :) Also the newStations set is probably not the newest and fanciest set out there, but I have gotten used to it and prefer it.

ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Yeah, nice. Thanks :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Actually the last screenshot of Sleburg had some mistakes - I had to add a connection from the leftmost platform going south, and the signals of the middle platform were wrong. Here's a screenshot after the corrections.
Rocket Rails Inc., 31st Jul 1956.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 31st Jul 1956.png (165.83 KiB) Viewed 10690 times
Meanwhile, the second line (which was the shorter one of the two) was extended towards the north from Fort Brontfingley. First the line goes past a tiny town called Brinnway...
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Dec 1957.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Dec 1957.png (124.02 KiB) Viewed 10674 times
... then to Finninghall, and shortly after ends in Hentfingbury Springs right next to Finninghall. Trains going there mandatorily visit the depot to reverse and go back on the other line.
Thanks to the cargodest's behavior of passengers (and cargos of course) boarding only a vehicle that goes into their destination's direction, the train will arrive at the station, unload its passengers/mail, go into the depot, and go to the station again on the other side and load in passengers/mail. This happens without any special load/unload orders.
Rocket Rails Inc., 7th Dec 1957.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 7th Dec 1957.png (172.01 KiB) Viewed 10663 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

The electric age has arrived in my game.
The original route ("Route 1") from Fort Brontfingley over Sleburg, Brondston to Slardwood was electrified, and in the screenshot, we see the first ET-11 electric train commencing its service at Fort Brontfingley HBF.
Rocket Rails Inc., 19th Mar 1958.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 19th Mar 1958.png (154.79 KiB) Viewed 10614 times
In the following year, a lot of money was invested to construct a total of four ET-11s. Meanwhile, the steam trains were taken from Route 1 and added to Route 2 (Hentfingburg Springs <> Finninghall <> Brinnway <> Fort Brontfingley <> Sleburg <> Pluntfingfort), which then had a total of 7 trains running on it. As can be seen in the following screenshot (it was already much worse before the screen), there was quite some demand in transportation in the northern part of this line, so three of the seven steam trains were split off from Route 2, to form a new "Route 3", which only travels the northern part of Route 2 (Hentfingburg Springs to Fort Brontfingley and back), and thus increase service in this area.
You can also see on the map that a part of the graph's lines have turned blueish instead of white. I asked in the IRC channel about it and it turns out that the lines are colored by cargo. Because I had been transporting mail (=white) before, and now replaced the trains with the electric ones which only transport passengers (=light blue), the lines have also changed color.
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Aug 1959.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Aug 1959.png (56.73 KiB) Viewed 10598 times
Here again a screenshot of the end of Route 1, Slardwood. Two ET-11s are at the station, one about to finish unloading and then going to the depot, the other one about to arrive at the loading platform to pick up passengers headed to Brondston and beyond.
The town has also gotten a bus feeder service by now, increasing the number of passengers to be transported. The buses are hopelessly overloaded atm though :roll:
Rocket Rails Inc., 7th Aug 1959.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 7th Aug 1959.png (109.77 KiB) Viewed 10592 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Right.. since the bus service in Slardwood was not good enough to transport all the passengers between the town center and the train station, it was replaced with a tram service consisting of eight SH Jubilee Passenger Trams (Generic Tram Set).
Rocket Rails Inc., 23rd Mar 1960.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 23rd Mar 1960.png (105.61 KiB) Viewed 10540 times
It was time to connect two more towns to the network: Fluston and Fort Bendingworth, both located east of Fort Brontfingley. For this, a switch was constructed a bit north of Fort Bendingworth HBF. The short section between the station and the switch was upgraded with a third track to handle the expected higher traffic in this section.
The screenshot also shows the map where the new connection can be seen.
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Jun 1961.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Jun 1961.png (71.85 KiB) Viewed 10524 times
Finally, the end of this new connection. The new tracks were built with electric wires, and the electric ET-11 trains of "Route 1" that formerly stopped at Fort Bendingworth HBF now continue through Fluston and to Fort Bendingworth before heading back. The stock was also upgraded from 4 to 8 ET-11s to provide sufficient service for the "new" Route 1 (effectively spending the company's whole budget).
Unfortunately, the backward people of the village of Fort Bendingworth refused to tear down their village church which stood in the way of progress.. as you can see, service in this ungrateful village is kind of restricted to one track for now, until the company manages to bri.... convince the town council that transportation is far more important than worship. :)
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Jun 1961#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 5th Jun 1961#1.png (91.37 KiB) Viewed 10527 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

The aging steam trains of Route 2 and 3 have been replaced by VT-08 Diesel engines...
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962.png (132.27 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
...the town council of Fort Bendingworth have finally given in and let me build my rails properly :P...
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962#1.png (166.68 KiB) Viewed 10506 times
... and as the final screen of today, the overview of the network until now, the trainlist and the company window.
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962#2.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th Dec 1962#2.png (55.51 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Good night, hope you enjoyed for today. :)

ImageImage
FelipeMazza89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FelipeMazza89 »

hi i was just wondering where did you get tht station from coz got every station but tht one and thts my favourite but cant find it?
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

All the stations in my screenshots are from the NewStations Set by Michael Blunck

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I'm back! :) Yesterday I was busy with other things, but today I played some more, so here are some new screens :)

The company got requests to expand its services to the small village of Lendingworth, a good distance further from Pluntfingford. So it was decided to expand Route 2. For this, the terminal station of Pluntfingford was extended, removing the buffers at the rear end and then tunnelling through the town's hill, to continue the line out of the other side of the town. Then, a large curve goes around the town, slowly going downhill, continuing towards the village of Lendingworth, which is located in a valley about 200 metres below Pluntfingford.
Rocket Rails Inc., 12th Oct 1963.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 12th Oct 1963.png (178.39 KiB) Viewed 10292 times
This screenshot shows the little town Lendingworth which is now the end of Route 2. It is also the first station to recieve a new modern look of glass roofs and buildings. As the route is now considerably longer, Route 3 (which was basically the northern part of Route 2 only) was disbanded and its trains added to Route 2. Now seven VT-08 trains with 8 units each (counting the heads) are servicing this route.
Rocket Rails Inc., 12th Oct 1963#1.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 12th Oct 1963#1.png (102.6 KiB) Viewed 10306 times

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

The central area of Sleburg and Fort Brontfingley urgently needed a rebuild due to the heavy traffic since now all the company's trains are passing through the area. A major rehaul of the station in Sleburg and the rails between Sleburg and Fort Brontfingley was decided by the company's head. In this picture dating from May 13th 1964, some measures have already been taken. The road bridge spanning over the area has been rebuilt, the places where the new rails will be built can already be seen, the company has bought land from the city to expand its facilities and already constructed the foundations of the new part of Sleburg train station. The new modern looking north entrance of the station is already finished.
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th May 1964.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 13th May 1964.png (167.41 KiB) Viewed 10321 times
Same place, about a year later (took me some tries to get exactly the same spot again :D). Sleburg station now has four platforms and a shiny new station building spanning over two of them. Between Sleburg and Fort Brontfingley, there are now four tracks to handle the traffic. Some groundworks have been done on the rails to level them to one height, allowing for efficient switches between them for optimal usage. Finally, some more roads have been built by the company to connect the inhabitants of the towns to the nearby stations efficiently.
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Jul 1965#2.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 4th Jul 1965#2.png (165.18 KiB) Viewed 10284 times
The following two years were filled with bits and pieces to work on for the company head. Some old tracks were renewed and provided with electrical wires to allow running electric trains on them in future. The switch south of Sleburg was rebuilt, also north of Fort Brontfingley. With this, the whole part of the network that is used by both Route 1 and 2 comes with four tracks to handle the traffic from both routes. A big part of the company's budget was also spent on five new VT-11 Diesel trains to back up the seven existing VT-08 trains on Route 2 from Hentfingbury Springs to Lendingworth.
The screenshot shows the trains of Route 2, the company's stats, the map of 1976, and in the top right corner, a far view on the busy area of Brondston, Sleburg and Fort Brontfingley.
Rocket Rails Inc., 10th Jul 1967.png
Rocket Rails Inc., 10th Jul 1967.png (68.41 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
edit: fixed typo
Last edited by Roujin on 11 Aug 2008 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
FelipeMazza89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FelipeMazza89 »

thankyou for the station link i appreciate it
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Impressive screenshots. I like!
Image Image
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Thanks Purno :)

More screenshots later. Posting current savegame for those interested and for Celestar for debugging something..
Attachments
Rocket Rails Inc., 10th Jul 1967.sav
(451.95 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

ImageImage
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Looks good, How are you coping with masses of passengers? I found that due to the way I build my networks with a lot of lines feeding into 1 main station that I just had masses of passengers that I had no hope of shifting, 1 main station had over 2000 passengers always waiting and over 100 trains serving it but I just couldn't empty the station. Looks nice though :)

Return to “Screenshots”