Trees and Climate

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Trees and Climate

Post by SwissFan91 »

I wasn't exactly sure whether to put this in Problems or Graphics but we'll give this forum a go.

I don't know whether anyone will understand this problem, but i'll try my best to explain it. If you download a scenario, and apply the StolenTrees.GRF and the AlpineClimate.GRF , the trees will not have snow on them. However, if you remove some and re-plant some more, they do have snow on :? I have tried fiddling about with the order of the .GRF's and when to add them, but still no luck :x

Can anyone help? I can add some screenshots if i haven't explained it well enough ?(
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Trees and Climate

Post by SwissFan91 »

1. GRF list.
2. State of trees with Alpine Climate.
3. Removing original trees.
Attachments
Unnamed, 19th Jan 1943#1.png (60.42 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Unnamed, 19th Jan 1943.png (170.72 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Unnamed, 19th Jan 1943#2.png (168.95 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
Last edited by SwissFan91 on 30 Apr 2009 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

4. Newly planted trees do have snow.
Attachments
Caldes de Vallalta Transport, 22nd Mar 1945.png (170 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Are you adding the alpine climate grf in the scenario editor or after starting the scenario. If you're doing it the second way, try the first way as that might make a difference.

Also, what happens if you start a random new game instead of loading a scenario?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

two questions here:
  • does it happen without alpine, too?
  • does it happen without alpine, but with another grf with varying snow line (i think TTRS does that)
i believe part of the problem is that the stolen trees and the snowy trees are not actually related (i.e. they will also not change appearance when the snow line varys)
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

This effect is encountered if you change the climate by cheats.

E.g. start temperate map (no newgrfs needed) and switch to arctic.
Then the landscape will change, but the temperate trees stay. Though when planting new trees arctic ones will be created.

So maybe the author of the scenario used that cheat, and there are stilll temperate trees on the map, though you are playing it in arctic.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Thanks for replying guys 8)

Well basically this only happens on scenario's that i have downloaded - ie those that are temperate climate to begin with. With respect to the cheat thing, i thought that changing the climate by cheats was the only way once you are playing a scenario ??

Sorry if i ask questions that are a bit n00b ! :oops:
ever
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ever »

George actually made an updated version of his snowy version of SACs stolen trees (what a name!). This is to say a file dated after testw.grf. I don't think it has been posted on this forum and it is NOT in the co-op grf pack. If George sees this and gives me permission to post I will. However the file still doesn't include half of those beautiful temperate trees in arctic climate.

That is to say Temperate has X amount of trees. Arctic has Y amount of trees where Y<X but they all have snow support. I'm guessing the reason Y=/=X is cause no one's drawn a snowy sprite for trees X-Y.

On the plus side this makes an excellent eyecandy .grf for a NZ scenario, cause of all the ever greens there and whatnot.

SAC won't be adding snow to her trees for a while seeing as in her INFRA project a beautiful "rock" line actually replaces snow all together. However as ottd and ttdp development move forward maybe she'll be able to include both snow and rocks but that won't happen for aaaaages. Also I'm guessing that when INFRA is released we will have the trees bundled with a bunch of other stuff too.

If I ever have free time and decide to play around and mod this game I'll prolly start with trying to add snow to some of the temperate stolen trees and add them to arctic.

Unless of course someone beats me to it.

Return to “Graphics Development”