OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by Roujin »

This bar has already been done by [insert author here, sorry i forgot :oops: ] as 32bpp, and released as a .tar.

From what i understand, lordazamath has converted it to 8bpp for possible inclusion in this 8bpp set, that will be as a .grf of course. That is, if they decide using these icons. The problem is that it's only the main bar and, afaik, the raise lower and level buttons that were redone in this particular .tar.

edit: the .tar can be found here: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/List_ ... 32bpp_tars
(look for "Main Toolbar")
Credits:
Artists: Joed, Athanasios
Coder: GeekToo

---
on another note, speaking of the road depot again.. is there a reason why the stripey stuff under the roof that has company colors is not all in company colors any more but with black (or darkish) inbetween? Actually I liked it more like it was before :/
Last edited by Roujin on 02 Jan 2008 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

Zephyris wrote:This project cannot improve on the original game, as it is simply exchanging the graphics from the original game files. However it will provide a library of freely usable graphics which can be used to make newGRFs to extend the game. The basic game graphics, which had to be copied from ttd on installation are not newGRFs, they are simply GRFs - all the coding done in pseudo sprites is not recognised so no new features can be added without loading a separate newGRF.
Could it then be possible to negotiate an official catalogue for additional default-looking graphics (like modular defaultish stations and all those things you said you might make after this project is over). It would be a lot handier than having to hunt around the forums and grfcrawler.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

so it is "just" a paint job?

the names will be just as funky, and the statistics somewhat off as well?
Member of the
ImageImage
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Wow, I go away for a few days, and there are several pages of new graphics! Excellent work, guys!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Acerbus wrote:
Zephyris wrote:This project cannot improve on the original game, as it is simply exchanging the graphics from the original game files. However it will provide a library of freely usable graphics which can be used to make newGRFs to extend the game. The basic game graphics, which had to be copied from ttd on installation are not newGRFs, they are simply GRFs - all the coding done in pseudo sprites is not recognised so no new features can be added without loading a separate newGRF.
Could it then be possible to negotiate an official catalogue for additional default-looking graphics (like modular defaultish stations and all those things you said you might make after this project is over). It would be a lot handier than having to hunt around the forums and grfcrawler.

i think that might be up to the devs to say yey or ney to any "buildt in" graphics... :(
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The devs have expressed interest in including grfs with the openttd distribution for both convenience and online play, therefore if a good set of grfs completely matching with the new graphics are produced I am sure they would be included, pm and ask!
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zephyris wrote:The devs have expressed interest in including grfs with the openttd distribution for both convenience and online play, therefore if a good set of grfs completely matching with the new graphics are produced I am sure they would be included, pm and ask!
I believe the same.. Also when a full 8bpp replacement is finished and ready to include on trunk, the devs may give an option on installation and on play menu to use the replacement or find the original graphics from TTD and use them, so everybody is happy choosing what they like more..

And to be honest i never found any grf that i thought really better than the original, only equal or worst.. Most of them because they wouldn't fit with the rest of the original graphics.. But the work made on this topic made me look to the original graphics has the ugly ones :D
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sir A. Boey »

Roujin wrote:This bar has already been done by [insert author here, sorry i forgot :oops: ] as 32bpp, and released as a .tar.

From what i understand, lordazamath has converted it to 8bpp for possible inclusion in this 8bpp set, that will be as a .grf of course. That is, if they decide using these icons. The problem is that it's only the main bar and, afaik, the raise lower and level buttons that were redone in this particular .tar.

edit: the .tar can be found here: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/List_ ... 32bpp_tars
(look for "Main Toolbar")
Credits:
Artists: Joed, Athanasios
Coder: GeekToo
---
on another note, speaking of the road depot again.. is there a reason why the stripey stuff under the roof that has company colors is not all in company colors any more but with black (or darkish) inbetween? Actually I liked it more like it was before :/
Hello Roujin,

thanks for your answer but I allready knew this and that was the reason why I asked the .tar .grf question ;-)

Great works you fellars keep them comming ;-)
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Roujin wrote:on another note, speaking of the road depot again.. is there a reason why the stripey stuff under the roof that has company colors is not all in company colors any more but with black (or darkish) inbetween? Actually I liked it more like it was before :/
IMO it looks better this way. Why?
1. Adds variation.
2. Separates the two roofs in front-entrance view (nice in case later we can add a middle wall as suggested).
3. Some company colors are very bright to fit.
4. To avoid copyright issues. :wink:
5. I think all around is too much, especially when you join depots for eye candy. Original has only in front and back and is shorter.
- Well if others also want it all around I don't mind. A poll?

A :)) NOTE :
It is great to have the ability to choose from different variants. As already mentioned in other posts it is cool to have a depository for those variants too.

-

Zephyris: Now toyland doesn't damage the eyes anymore!!! Thanks a lot for this (and for the licence to kill ... pixels! :lol: ). Previousy I had replaced some sprites with a merge of toyland and temperate to be able to play. But this is somewhat breaking copyright law so thanks for making me legal again! mrgreen:
Since you didn't draw the sprites for toyland coasts I suggest a gradient from tile to yellow coast. Why? Current Yellow color damages eyes and doesn't look at all like coast. Colors I chose in the screenshot are not at all good but I am sure you can choose whatever fits better. Just to get the idea.

-

Lordazamath: The toolbar rocks. Hard to tell it is not 32bpp! Just do not forget to convert the open diskette icon which appears when you press the button. Hope you don't mind I tweaked again! :mrgreen: Actually it may look worse in lower resolutions, but in 1152x864 on my 19 inch monitor it looks better. Mostly I mixed pixels to avoid striping. Worked on buttons 1, 2, 10, 12, 15, 22, 27. (8bpp in PCX: keep in mind that I used palconvert to make sure they are no action colors. I did not remove company colors. I suppose they do not cause any problem. If they do, the way is easy to replace them...)

Tried to work on toyland depot but I failed. Another day... It is so bright and doesn't leave many options. Since Zephyris' tiles are darker that original, maybe same with the temperate depot but with different hue on the walls?

:] < That's how I feel seeing so many posts here! So, sorry if I forgot to answer to someone.
Attachments
toyland_coast_tiles_suggestion.png
toyland_coast_tiles_suggestion.png (39.64 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
toolbar_tweaked.pcx
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
toolbars_compare.png
toolbars_compare.png (36.05 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

hi again this morning :)

with the inspiration from the double decker thread, did i try to draw a new Chimera... Are there any hope? :) Give me some tips on what to do next please :)

Edit;

did some more pixeling around the windows and tried to add a CC-gradient at the bottom'ish... copied the PCX to another folder where i have some other grapics, and edited the .nfo so i could encode it (even VERY unfinished) just to see it ingame, but the CC didnt show up ...

Q's:
1: Do i either have to add a CC-bit somewhere in the nfo
2: Wrong CC-blues? I compared to the others, so i can really see that either :)
Attachments
mag4.PNG
mag4.PNG (958 Bytes) Viewed 5626 times
8bbp-4.png
8bbp-4.png (996 Bytes) Viewed 5586 times
Last edited by DJ Nekkid on 03 Jan 2008 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the
ImageImage
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

arrgh, Athanasios, do you still realise that I just took the screenshot from wiki and made is to 8bpp palette? I DIDN'T convert the sprites. And if you want to do it properly you have to take all the sprites one by one convert, tweak and put with 0000ff background. Then code them. I didn't do that. I just made the screenshot 8bpp. And as I stated I don't have time currently to do it properly. I became a little confuzed now...
i think that might be up to the devs to say yey or ney to any "buildt in" graphics... :(
The devs have expressed interest in including grfs with the openttd distribution for both convenience and online play, therefore if a good set of grfs completely matching with the new graphics are produced I am sure they would be included, pm and ask!
Actually I started this project because Belugas said that if graphics would be given then they would become part of trunk. Yes, he said it!Before he knew anything about how good things will become here. I guess the user will get chance to play with original graphics too but then he has to replace them or something..
You know what, that looks pretty strange. Why not make a big factory that covers the same area, instead of 3 smaller ones? Would look better & more realistic IMO.
Because it's done so in original game and we do just sprite replacement. Check trg1r.grf if you don't get it.
Hey lordazamath love that new bar but will that bar be released as a .tar or .grf file?
If someone is willing to follow the steps I introduced earlier then why not? And we have to ask JoeD for permission too...

That chimeara looks good but you know you have to cut it to two pieces. It looks somewhat too long...
Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

check the update i thought i posted before your awnser...

tho;

i didnt realize the sprites had to be exactly X*Y big, i thought that "max length" were ok. EDIT; mine is also 2 pixles to low vs the original

Guess i "just" make two sprites then, one for the "basic" (somewhat shortened) and one for the "extended" pack it seems like there is comeing out... Atleast I am interested in makeing an extended grapics pack where engines are "full length" and with livery override for passanger wagons and such...
Member of the
ImageImage
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Lordazamath: I can see there is no grf, but just conversion to 8bpp. I think with the extra tweaking I did it doesn't need more. We have 'only' to remove the grey of the buttons. This needs time and much more time is required to code, but the worst was to get the sprites drawn. These look damn good which I didn't expect. I though we would have to work from scratch. That is why I am so happy.

Since button background is grey and we have no color transparency in 8bpp we don't need to break our heads more...

And please 8bpp the other diskette sprite. I don't trust my graphics program to give same results like yours and it is faster than copy pasting...

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: 7of9
Nice work! But...
Chimera doesn't carry any passengers, so no windows please :).
The shading needs to be heavier (ie. more contrast) - see my attached wagons which are still not as high contrast as the originals.
Definitely make a matching passenger and mail car for livery override, although this obviously isn't the priority at the moment...

Attached are the wagons I drew for designing my generic road vehicles set, they may be useful and contain good shading guides. I have some train sprites I drew for a potential generic train set, but I cant find these atm as they are floating about on a flash disc...
Attachments
Wagons Demo.png
Wagons Demo.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Shore for toyland, screenshot and grf. Comments please!
Attachments
toyland terrain and shore.png
toyland terrain and shore.png (49.18 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
OpenGFX_-_newTerrain_Toyland_v0.2.grf
(109.6 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

and some work on train stations - I'm not very happy with it, but thought someone may want to work off the sprites...
Attachments
stationstmp.pcx
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
stationpreviewtmp.png
stationpreviewtmp.png (80.13 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

o_o... Zephyris' shore for toyland looks WAY better than the original one... Great work!
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

I'm agree, this shore is excellent
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I played a bit around with that station. I'm not completely happy with it, but it's a start.
Attachments
station.png
station.png (21.76 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

athanasios wrote: And please 8bpp the other diskette sprite. I don't trust my graphics program to give same results like yours and it is faster than copy pasting...

regards
athanasios
Well as stated, I'm not at home and I don't have GIMP here. So if you use gimp and just load image as layer on already tt-paletted pic then it should be identical :) About it being faster...well if you like to wait few days :roll: :mrgreen:

FooBar - Very nice! But I think that the blue roof should be more textured or something...Keep them coming :)

Zephyris - this is about all of your things :) You should already know what I think of your graphics so I hope I don't have to repeat it always..I just can't type so fast when you draw so much...THEY ROCK!!!
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.

Return to “Graphics Development”