OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

w0lv3n
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by w0lv3n »

I registered for this forum a far while ago, but never posted, so hi all.

Just quickly, OTTD is the bomb, my cousin n I love the game to bits and all the work here done by everyone is great, kudos to you all.

Really loving all this new work thats coming in on this thread, ill be looking to maybe help out myself as soon as i organise my year :S.

Just noticed a couple of things included in the attachments below:

1. The farm tileset seems to have an "off" tile as circled.
2. Any possibility to perhaps make the base of the road depot blend better (red circle) with the road, i know the idea is to keep the original look, but even a bit of shading? (had a quick crack with mspaint :P - shown in yellow circle).
3. Dont know if others have encountered this, but the shores atm still not 100% in latest nightly?

-Cheers
Attachments
farmland_tile.PNG
farmland_tile.PNG (32.74 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
road_depot_tile.PNG
road_depot_tile.PNG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
water_tile.PNG
water_tile.PNG (25.78 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

athanasios wrote:prissi:
I don't like a small white cursor. I prefer original one. Floating icon is cool. Most games have their own style in cursors, why to use OS shaped cursor?
For the record, I disagree. I think the OS cursor is way better than the original. The original is clumsy, ugly, and inprecise.

And when it comes to resolution, I'll just say most do indeed use higher resolution displays nowadays but I currently use 800x600. So it's not like lower resolution no longer matters for OpenTTD, especially since we strive to accomodate low-end (and mobile) hardware as well as newer, more powerful systems.

On a more personal note, you seem to behave very arrogantly... Almost telling the artists straight out what to do, based on your own opinion. :shock: I hope you only do that accidentally. But enough of that.

By the way, to take part in the sub-arctic trees discussion, I'd prefer the fully snow-covered versions. Granted the climate is called sub-arctic and we could probably get away with only sporadically-snowcovered trees, but I like the fully covered ones more for some reason. It's probably the contrast it creates between the warm, fuzzy non-arctic zones and the world of snow above. By tradition Transport Tycoon makes a whopping great contrast between some graphics (take desert and jungle ground and trees for example) so I think we should go the same route with arctic graphics. I doubt very much the "whiter" trees would have much of an effect to visual strain, we're talking about such a minute change in overall brightness.
#################
MrMox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MrMox »

w0lv3n wrote: 3. Dont know if others have encountered this, but the shores atm still not 100% in latest nightly?
Just to confirm, I have the same problem with r11740 and no other grf's loaded except the terrain one.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re:athanasios
How important is the toyland palette? What differences are there? I had no Idea it had a different palette to the other climates... My terrain seemed to work exactly as expected...

In terms of building scale I am not worried about three storeys in the height of four storeys - that's not much variation in height... Of more concern is the massive scale difference between sub-tropical and temperate - houses are ~4 times the size in sub-tropical.

Re:w0lv3n
1. I know about the farmland, but tbh I am sick of those 176 sprites...
2. Nice point, but I don't know if it would be possible as there is only one base tile for all orientations.

Re:w0lv3n and MrMox
3. New shores may or may not be in the nightlies, but newTerrain only replaces the shore tiles from the original graphics. I can provide all the new shore tiles for the extended shoreline if you feel like coding them :)

Back to my GUI musings I am very keen to get rid of the old cursor. It is imprecise and blocks the view of what you are working on. Having said that an imitation of the system cursor is probably too small for such a visually intense landscape, so here are two new suggestions. One in TTD colours and one in white. I prefer the white, it is far more visible.

I will also draw peoples attention to my embryonic website, more specifically the house drawing tutorial which outlines how I draw houses.
Attachments
cursors2.png
cursors2.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I like the first one better. Visibility difference doesn't really matter IMO, given the stuff all alround the cursor it's hard not to spot it.
w0lv3n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by w0lv3n »

I also prefer the first, silver bevelled version. To me the White is too stark. Although you dont want it to get lost, you also dont want it to be drastically different i think.

Cheers RE the png's i posted. I would code it, but im yet to learn, back up to work tomorrow so give me a few days to settle into the new year and then i hope to learn the coding :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sawmill...
Attachments
Sawmill.png
Sawmill.png (27.8 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris wrote:Sawmill...
My god, Zephyris, who allows you to do such things? Wow is all that I can muster....Is it coded? I could code it so you could draw more :D

Anyway, I'm back at home so I can do some stuff again...
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

Am I the only one who thinks the new graphics are all to dark? I like the graphics, but I'd really like them a bit lighter.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris, I just found out...I might be wrong because I don't have the most up to date grfs, but toyland bare land appeared instead of temperate bare land...Please don't forget to add action 07 which skips wrong climates in your next releases...the road depot already has it (thanks to buttercup), I now am coding rail depot, I'l add 07 there too.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I have something... Monorail stations! Hope you like 'm; please post your comments now, before I do the Other Direction :mrgreen:

About those railway station benches...I think they're too dark in comparison with the rest of the station and thus very distracting
Attachments
station-monorail.png
station-monorail.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: broodje
Which graphics are too dark? I have a nice brand new high contrast screen so my opinion of brightness may be off. Hoewver: The temperate and sub-arctic terrain is the same brightness, as the shading was taken from the original terrain. The rail and maglev are slightly darker, while the roads are lighter... Snow is darker as people complained about being dazzled by it. I think you are noticing that the original graphics are very high contrast, while what people generally agree are good graphics have lower contrast - compare the default trees to SAC's stolen trees.

Attached are two comparative screenshots, and their histograms. Note that while the old graphics have more brighter colours they also have more darker colours. Any proper comparison is hard because the two histograms are so similar - note both have hardly any pixels in the brighter half of the graph.

Re:lordazamath
I was going to miss an action7 at some point - terrain gets confusing because bare earth gets shared between all climates except toyland, grassy terrain is only in one climate, snow is in two climates (and is ignored in the others) and farmland is in all climates!

Code: Select all

xx * 6     07 83 01 02 03 13
That should do the trick! I'll add it once the farmland fences are ready (I think that's all that's left that should go in newTerrain).
Attachments
old+new.png
old+new.png (280.23 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
old+new histogram.png
old+new histogram.png (23.1 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Wow! that is a sexy station! Again one tiny comment - it looks like you need some structural suport at the end of the big roof, see my attachment for the idea...
Attachments
station-monorail demo.png
station-monorail demo.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris, if I add 07 to some my codings then I (and everybody else) must NOT put the num-sprites to 00, but we have to count the number of sprites yes? Because then you can integrate them w/o having to modify action07s...Am I right?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, 00 skips to the end of the file. If the number of sprites is specified explicitly then it can just be added to the end of any grf.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I was mainly aiming at the sawmill and depots which look a bit to brownish/black, but the tracks are way to dark in my opinion, I'd love to seem them a bit lighter.
It might be my monitor though, it has a PVA panel which can display contrast much better as most TN panels, which could cause the difference in appearance. I noticed the track doesn't look that black on another monitor I have. (bit still to dark in my opinion). The track blends better with the ground on that monitor.

/edit
I do like the new monorail and the just showed station btw
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Fair enough - the rail is significantly darker, I will look at lightening it...

And due to my irrational hatred of grey cursors, here is a new one, with a grey gradient. Also attached are the two other designs for comparison. The reason I am loathed to loose the black border is that it matches well with the floating icon...
Attachments
newcursor3.png
newcursor3.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
cursors2.png
cursors2.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I think this is very good :)...
BTW one thing more Zephyris, if you add include something to your grf you make comments there too, don't you? If not then make and save commented bersion as backup too...Because this will be under GPL just as OpenTTD and then we need to provide source files... I was told that source for GRF is commented nfo file... the other possibility I already mentioned is adding comments with Action0C..
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

Ok. For the trees- i have done a second tree, the redish one. The snowy versions of these two i think should be just branches and maybe a few leaves. I have done a couple, but need to finish them.

The 3rd tree is Ben Robbins 32bpp tree from the blender thread converted to 8bpp. Whilst i quite like how it looks i think in particular the dying stages are not so good. Maybe some tweaking perhaps. What do people think.

The other trees at the bottom are just a couple of experiments with arctic trees. I would like about thins amount of snow as it i dont think it would make things TOO white.

Regarding things being too dark- i do see what people mean. Mainly with the tracks, but also the farm fields are very dark.

I love the monorail station. Is that used for maglev too?
Attachments
tree.png
tree.png (12.78 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
previously known as daylight
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

New version of the Chimera + Wagons.

What is done;

Added a CC-stripe at each side on the | view, as well as less contrast and tried to make it "less round"
Redid the windows in the / and \ views.
Made the engine slightly shorter in the -- view (4 pixels) so that it is more in proportions with the / \ views.
Retinted the windows; 1 shade darker.

grfcodec or something seem to f**k up the sprites when i try to code them, as seen in the picture. When I open them with i.mage they are proper. Tried to save it with paint.net as well, but it still is wierd. And yes, the coords in the .nfo is correct.

btw, how is action A properly done?

Code: Select all

<proper head and stuff>
           Action A
           |  one set to replace
           |  |  8 sprites to replace
           |  |  |  3001 in hex
           |  |  |  |  |
-1 * 0     0A 01 08 0B B9
-1 sprites/test.pcx 1 40 01 23 9 -4 -12
-1 sprites/test.pcx 41 40 01 17 22 -11 -9
-1 sprites/test.pcx 81 40 01 12 32 -16 -6