Patch application

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Patch application

Post by Leanden »

No this is not another "how do i patch" thread.

I am no coding expert, but i wondered if someone could produce a tool which has a database of all patches uploaded to the forums, when used, you can select which patches you want to apply and what OS you want, and the tool which download the source svn and compile it for you...

Would this be something possible for those of us who cant wait for patches to reach trunk?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Patch application

Post by planetmaker »

Leanden wrote:No this is not another "how do i patch" thread.

I am no coding expert, but i wondered if someone could produce a tool which has a database of all patches uploaded to the forums, when used, you can select which patches you want to apply and what OS you want, and the tool which download the source svn and compile it for you...

Would this be something possible for those of us who cant wait for patches to reach trunk?
The idea has a few problems:
- it needs writing. Even BuildOTTD isn't maintained anymore, an that's one OS
- it needs creation of such database (problem: how do you know which patch is broken, which not?, Which version(s) it applies to?
- unsolvable problem: you cannot automatically combine patches and hope that it works. It can be hard work, sometimes impossible, to combine two patches.

- another problem: those who can create patches have no motivation to write a compiler as anyone can download a compiler him/herself and just compile it. And your proposal is nothing else than writing a compiler with a auto-download function for patches.

So in short: the tools exist for every OS: it's the compiler(s) mentioned in the appropriate sticky. Short of that there's no other way to binaries.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Everything is possible indeed, but honestly, you are asking for an awful lot of work. Just the patch-applying-to-trunk part would be nightmarishly.

Note that i do not want to discourage anyone of doing it, but... it will truly be a VERY BIG project.
I guess that the best answer to this would be for people to start learning how to compile. It's not THAT complicated ;)
And in fact, a lot less then your suggestion. For sure for sure
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Remember compiling needs significant amount of CPU time.

The closest to what you dream of is the project called NomicIN, search for it.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Thanks guys
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Sulai once began with something like that, sadly he couldn't continue: the wip version is here: http://sulai.ammler.ch
(it is around 2000 revs old already, if you want, speak with sulai, he is around from time to time...

The app did check the patches against each other and was able to make a patchpack almost alone...

If there is still interest and someone around to maintain the java code, I am up to continue it...

Edit: Oh, CommanderZ already mentioned it. Sorry :oops:

Greets
Ammler

Return to “OpenTTD Development”