Station entry path signal always red

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sanyigz
Engineer
Engineer

Station entry path signal always red

Post by sanyigz »

Hi!

I've had a working station in game since long time, then i needed to make one platform longer. There was space for it, so i did it without any other modifications (not even a a signal transfer, i just made a simple track pieces to plaform), after that from one direction the trains always get infinite RED signal. But if i hit "go to depot", they simply move through the station.

See this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5862163/ttdbug.png

The red circled train's target is Szeged Woods station, the red lines are the limits of platform before the lenghtening. There are currently 3 free platforms, but the signal is red... if i send that train to depot, the next behind it with same target will get infinite red again...

Another minor thing, the second train there carrying iron ore have same instruction as two grain/livestock trains all of them drop off at szeged woods. But if the iron ore train can't go to that platform what is the closest to Szeged, then it don't simple reverse and go back, but go forward to the next depot and it reverses there. But the other two trains with same instructions reversing correctly at the station.

PS: the first problem disappeared when i've deleted that signal and placed there again...

I've made a video about both problems: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5862163/openttd.mkv
Attachments
bzrzzr.sav
(4.56 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Station entry path signal always red

Post by Alberth »

Quite likely it is not a bug in OpenTTD, but you ignoring the red warning windows "bad things may happen" after changing the NewGRF configuration.

Edit: Perhaps it was not you but the scenario author?
Last edited by Alberth on 08 May 2011 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

For the train not entering the open platform: turn on the option to display reserved track (Advanced Settings, Interface, Display options, Show reserved tracks). It shows that there's a strangely reserved track on the other side of that station. You can delete a piece of rail just beyond the station, once, and rebuild it - things will start working as intended after that.

As for the iron ore train going to the depot, it's because it has the order to the far end of the station for unloading. Because it's going to the far end of such long station while the train is so short, the path finder penalty for turning around on that spot is too great compared to going to the train depot to turn around. Change the order to stop at near end, and it will start working like you want.
sanyigz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sanyigz »

Ok but it's still unexplainable why are those tiles became reserved(and why don't from other side), because of making a station longer

As for iron ore train. I can find only one global option for stopping place, but not in orders.
sanyigz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sanyigz »

Alberth wrote:Quite likely it is not a bug in OpenTTD, but you ignoring the red warning windows "bad things may happen" after changing the NewGRF configuration.

There was no newgrf change, maybe in the scenario i've added trams, and new vehicles), but it's there since the beginning of the game, and nothing changed after that, so this red light thing nothing to do with newgrfs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

sanyigz wrote:
Alberth wrote:Quite likely it is not a bug in OpenTTD, but you ignoring the red warning windows "bad things may happen" after changing the NewGRF configuration.

There was no newgrf change, maybe in the scenario i've added trams, and new vehicles), but it's there since the beginning of the game, and nothing changed after that, so this red light thing nothing to do with newgrfs.
While the assumption that changing NewGRFs in the SE is 'better' than ingame is wrong, you seem to have a stale path reservation (for whatever reason) between the station and the signal. Rebuilding that track should solve the problem.
sanyigz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sanyigz »

Yes it's solved, but still not know why did this happened?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

sanyigz wrote:
planetmaker wrote: you seem to have a stale path reservation (for whatever reason) between the station and the signal. Rebuilding that track should solve the problem.
Yes it's solved, but still not know why did this happened?
It is a little bugsie in trunk that is there since quite some time.
It pops up every so often but nobody has been able to reproduce in a reliable way untill now ... which is needed to be able to fix it.

It happens when you modify reserved track but other than that it is a mystery.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ChillCore wrote:
sanyigz wrote: It happens when you modify reserved track but other than that it is a mystery.
If this is clean trunk it's indeed the first time I see such thing in a long time (and the old ones were afaik resolved); and I don't recall any such recent report either.

Quite as you say: means or instructions on how to reproduce the situation (e.g. a savegame where it did not yet happen, but with the right actions will happen) would be very welcome as only that can tell reliably where the check to free a stale reservation fails.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Unless the version sanyigz is playing with has a modified version string, it is 1.1.0 he is playing with.

I had this issue exactly once in three years of playing and it has been a while ... could not reproduce neither at the time or later when I tested a little bit when someone else had the issue.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i have seen occasional reports of stale reservations in the recent past, and i myself had one in my YACDest game. the general consensus is that it has something to do with rebuilding stations, and nobody has a clue how exactly it happens.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Little bump. Here's another example of a track reservation bug. Train 12 in autosave5 just won't move. In autosave4 this train is still onroute towards this station. Between autosave4 and autosave5 I extended the station with one tile and reconstructed the exit.
screenshots.PNG
screenshots.PNG (160.4 KiB) Viewed 622 times
edit:Ignore the control part of the remark, I had to switch companies in order to get control while playing that save game.
Attachments
autosave5.sav
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
autosave4.sav
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

There you go. Steps to reproduce:

1. Start the train.
2. Wait for the train to reserve a path through the station.
3. Extend the station by one tile at its end; see the newly built station piece lose its reservation status.
4. Remove the newly built station piece before the train arrives at the station.
5. Wait for the train to arrive at the station and start loading.
6. Rebuild the station piece in front of the train.
7. Tell the train to skip its current order.
8. See the train get stuck.
Attachments
stuck.sav
(254.16 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Currently at work, so no cannot test this procedure, but if you're right, you should probably add this to flyspray.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”