Bitcoin Currency Option?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DCSmith1989
Engineer
Engineer

Bitcoin Currency Option?

Post by DCSmith1989 »

Hey mates, I'm wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency option in game. however, Bitcoins are a lot more valuable than Euros.

I tried using a decimal point to match the value of 1 Euro in bitcoin but OpenTTD doesn't support this it seems.

any suggestions?
Sylf
President
President

Re: Bitcoin Currency Option?

Post by Sylf »

At the bottom of the currency list is "Custom..." You can define your own exchange rate using that.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

DCSmith1989 wrote:Bitcoins are a lot more valuable than Euros.
Custom currency doesn't work in this case.

Anyway, I believe there is no easy way to do this apart from modifying the code of OpenTTD yourself...
palaceofhate
Engineer
Engineer

Post by palaceofhate »

You'd also need some type of patch to simulate the rapid fluctuations and high volatility
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Brumi wrote:Anyway, I believe there is no easy way to do this apart from modifying the code of OpenTTD yourself...
Currencies can be created in NewGRF. In this case, the maximum value of one currency unit is equivalent to 2000 Euro.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

I actually added bitcoins as a custom currency myself to openTTD just mostly for sillyness, even though I mostly prefer the early and mid 20th game where it dosen't make sense as a currency. ;) So I mostly still use pounds (as that is the base currency of the game anyway).

My workaround, is to use mBTC (milliBitcoin, one in a thousand) but you can use μBTC (microBitcoin, one in a million) if you want to be super accurate. But since the money in openTTD is fairly abstract you probably don't need to worry about accuracy in real life exchange rates, I don't. ;)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

PikkaBird wrote:
Brumi wrote:Anyway, I believe there is no easy way to do this apart from modifying the code of OpenTTD yourself...
Currencies can be created in NewGRF. In this case, the maximum value of one currency unit is equivalent to 2000 Euro.
What is the currency-customization NewGRF,is it in online content?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

From what I read there isn't one, but one could make one.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

PikkaBird wrote:
but the OP wants the opposite, something like 1/2000 Euro.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Eddi wrote:[Currencies can be created in NewGRF. In this case, the maximum value of one currency unit is equivalent to 2000 Euro.
but the OP wants the opposite, something like 1/2000 Euro.[/quote]
DCSmith1989 wrote:Hey mates, I'm wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency option in game. however, Bitcoins are a lot more valuable than Euros.
Er...no? :? (1BTC is worth about €200).
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

FLHerne wrote:1BTC is worth about €200
That exactly means that Bitcoins are more valuable than Euros :D You'd probably rather have 1 BTC than 1€...
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Brumi wrote:
FLHerne wrote:1BTC is worth about €200
That exactly means that Bitcoins are more valuable than Euros :D You'd probably rather have 1 BTC than 1€...
That was what I meant (Eddi said the opposite for some reason). The 'Er...no?' refers to the first quote in the context of the second one, except that I can't compose posts. :oops:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Action0/Global_Settings wrote: Currency multipliers (0B)

The equivalent of 1 British pound in this currency, multiplied by 1000. For example, 1 GBP=2 USD, so this should be 2000 for US dollars. The multiplication by 1000 allows you to have decimals in the multiplier without requiring floating-point calculations. This value is used for display purposes only, TTD always uses British pounds for internal calculations.
So if 1 GBP is about 0.0067 XBT, then this value should be set to (0.0067 * 1000 = ~7) 7 for bitcoin. So I'm inclined to agree with Pikka that this is possible with NewGRF.

Return to “General OpenTTD”