Newbie guide for signals?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheCaptn
Engineer
Engineer

Newbie guide for signals?

Post by TheCaptn »

My brother reintroduced me to TTD for the first time in a decade or so, and he's kicking my ass at it when we go multiplayer over the net. Mainly it's because just have no comprehension of how signals work so I'm stuck building individual lines for everything.

I've had a look at the wiki, but it's clearly targeted at people who already understand the basics. I don't.
I was wondering if there was a simple guide out there anywhere that explains these concepts in a way that makes sense?
For instance how do I:

1) Let trains enter a station from opposite ends, and wait for it to clear if the other train is there? When I put a signal down the second train just turns around and goes back instead of waiting... If the timing (track length) is freakishly right this can result in one train going backwards and forwards four or five times before it actually gets into the shared station.

2) Safely send multiple lines into one end of a single platform? The same thing about turning around and going back applies here. In addition sometimes trains will just sit at their original station and never leave... The wiki has the opposite of this, with one line splitting into six platforms, but simply reversing that setup just creates chaos.

3) Run multiple trains on one line? Ok, I've worked out how to do it as a circuit without trains running into the back of each other, but what about in opposing directions? I try to make sidings along the way that they can slip onto but whichever way I set it up they either seem to a) ignore the siding altogether and crash, or get stuck directly opposite each other, b) get stuck on two seperate sidings, facing each other across the section of single track, or c) get stuck with one train on each part of the siding, facing opposite ways and clear to continue on in complete safety but never actually moving.

4) Share a bridge? I gather the setup would be similar to question 2, with the difference being that trains don't turn around on the bridge and go back the way they came. I'd love to be able to make a few lines share one expensive bridge (in both directions) instead of being forced to build another two or three equally expensive bridges alongside it.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Newbie guide for signals?

Post by T-Unit »

A few websites to help you:
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Building_signals
http://openttdcoop.ppcis.org/wiki/index ... ory:Guides

Edit:
The important thing is signalling - this stops trains crashing into each other.
TheCaptn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheCaptn »

Ok I've been playing with it for hours and hours and I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere at last.

However in this game I've made a complete mess of the area around Tundton. It seemed to all be going so smoothly, but then I got one jam and instead of clearing it by messing with the signals I seem to have made things a whole lot worse.

I'd love some advice on how to clean that lot up (an analysis of what I'm doing wrong would certainly help).

[edit]
There are six trains that end up in Tundton. 2x Passenger/Mail services, 2x Iron Ore, a Steel train and a Goods train... Only yesterday I would have needed six platforms, but I gather three should be enough if I can just organise them properly.
Attachments
Cappy06 Ohnoes!.sav
Big Ol' Mess
(305.31 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
TheCaptn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheCaptn »

Regarding the shared bridge, I'm having trouble getting that to work as well.
With three lines and only a single train for each line (all going in both directions), I was sure this would work, but it doesn't... Trains still turn around and go back if one of the Entry signals is red. :(
Also, how would I do it if I want multiple trains on the same line? Do I cross the lines between the signal pairs, or behind them?

Code: Select all

--E-----C-           -C-----E--     - Train Line
           \       /                = Bridge
--E-----C----=====----C-----E--     C Combo Signal
           /       \                E Entry Signal
--E-----C-           -C-----E--     X Exit Signal (there are none)
And lastly, I'm still struggling to get a simple siding like this working. I figure it should be possible with only four signals but I've tried all sorts of combinations without success.

------?-----------?-
         \           \
           -?-----------?------
mcbane
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mcbane »

its that ya looking for?
Attachments
Hippoburg Transport, 6th Jan 1927.png
(146.62 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

TheCaptn wrote:Regarding the shared bridge, I'm having trouble getting that to work as well.
With three lines and only a single train for each line (all going in both directions)
You don't need presignals in this case. Plain two-way signals will do the trick just fine.

That siding won't work because there's no signal block for a train to fit in.
TheCaptn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheCaptn »

mcbane wrote:its that ya looking for?
Mine wouldn't work like that, but I know why now (thanks to your assertion that the layout you have works)... All this time I've been playing with the signal setups around the sidings when it turns out I just had to delete the rows of signals along the "in-between" sections of single track.

Thanks. :)
FooBar wrote:You don't need presignals in this case. Plain two-way signals will do the trick just fine.
Tried that. If the bridge is in use they turn around and go back if it's not cleared fast enough... It's probably fine for short bridges, but I really want it for the looooong bridges so that I don't have to build more than one.
vicky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vicky »

a good idea will be to use two diffrent bridge up-and down and if trains are going reverse too soon then u need to make loop so they can come back to same bridge
different
Engineer
Engineer

Post by different »

TheCaptn wrote: It's probably fine for short bridges, but I really want it for the looooong bridges so that I don't have to build more than one.
A common trick is to raise a segment of land in the middle of the river/lake and put a signal onto it, then build two bridges over the water. It's not ideal unless you have a lot of spare cash.

The other way is to build two bridges, and use pre-signals so that the trains keep moving. For lines with a lot of load, the pre-signal option works the best - although you can also combine the two methods.

The same principles apply to long tunnel building.
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

For your siding...

----\->--------------------->-\
     \                         \ 
      \                         \
       \-<---------------------<-\------
Where < and > are one way signals.

In practice...
Attachments
train siding.png
train siding.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
TheCaptn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheCaptn »

Thanks, I'm getting a handle on it now. People have been helping me out a lot in multiplayer.

My ultimate achievement so far is this mess, a combined station/junction/thingy. The mainline is actually the double track that goes left and right. At one point someone else joined my company and made that one electrified line, then just hung around and watched me cook up my masterpiece.

The amazing thing is that is actually seems to work. Eight trains unload coal at that station, and by my count there are 27 in total that pass through it in some way. Maybe I should clone them all and then see?
Attachments
spaghetti.jpg
It's a mess, Jim. But not as we know it.
(537.99 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
different
Engineer
Engineer

Post by different »

Yes, I was playing that game too. :)

If you have multiple lines joining a RoRo, it's nice to use such a configuration that will allow more than one train in at a time. Easy enough to build them.

Whipped this up quickly. Both lines can access all the platforms. When leaving, the two tracks also have a branch line that can reroute a train if it went into the other side of the station. Some sharp turns here, built this fast. The main thing of note is the entrance.
Attachments
pietrex [PL] Company, 13th Aug 1996.png
pietrex [PL] Company, 13th Aug 1996.png (79 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Vaosk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vaosk »

Heres my try at making your lines work capt :).
Less intersections, all trains are happy. Way simpler for the eye.. i had to delete everything to work out a solution xD.

A tip.. your mainline shouldnt merge with stations, or else.. major headaches.

Simpler > Complicated.

Edit: Forgot to fix the middle, could remove some extra turns and some lights missing :p
ill edit that map further when i got more time ;p
Attachments
Cappy06 Yehaw!.sav
(313.43 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Nudel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nudel »

Here is my proposal on how to improve your network. All stations is ro-ro. No tracks are crossing. Put in another 10 trains in the network without too much waiting. The main problem now is the space to expand the stations in the cities, as well as the station at the factory.
Anyway, I often like to build like this, the trains sometimes have to travel a bit longer, but overall they will wait for a shorter time during a trip, and you can fit many more trains on the same tracks.
Longer distances will increase the profits even more, and make it easier to build imho.

Your signaling seemed to work fine, the main problem and cause for the jams was tracks going all over the place and crossing one another. If you can avoid that by building bridges or tunnels, you will ensure a smoother running network.

The biggest challenge with your game was to adapt to left-sided driving though :wink:

Good luck, and please give me some advice on my building as well!
Attachments
Cappy06 Proposal.sav
My proposal to signals and traffic.
(329.24 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”