FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by Roujin »

One thought I'd like to share with you is differentiating the acceptance limit of 200 into a "not accepting anymore" limit (e.g. 220) and a "will accept again" limit (e.g. 180). Could be useful to reduce flicker between the states.
This is only a suggestion for you to think about, not a "request" :)

Also, here's a question I came up with:
Consider the following situation. We have an industry which accepts one of those production boosting cargos, say Engineering Supplies. Its stockpile is full. Then some Eng.Supplies are used up and the stockpile is under the acceptance limit, say 190/200. Imagine a train with a rather big load of Eng.Supplies arrives now.

What will happen? (the train is set NOT to force-unload)
Will the train only unload a portion of its load that corresponds to how much the industry's stockpile can fit?
Or will it unload all of it, the surplus going to the station instead of to the industry? Or even worse, the surplus somehow vanishes?

It'd be best if the first of these three options were true. Can someone answer this for me?
Especially if the second or third option were true, I'd opt for the acceptance (or non-acceptance) "span" I suggested at the top of this post.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

1st: Actually, when i think about it, is that limit REALLY needed? I mean ... There are a, hopefully not too far, future with cargodest, where the output of ES is distributed over all available primaries.

2nd: Most people would want to supply engeneering/farm supplies to as many primary industries as possible to maximize its output. Nothing wrong with stockpiling, but to switch off acceptance is probably not needed.
Member of the
ImageImage
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

I thought this was going to be no stockpiling on here like the old TTD industrys
Last edited by 2007Alain2007 on 19 Oct 2009 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
For Community Integrated Version http://code.google.com/p/civopenttd/
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

2007Alain2007 wrote:I fort this was going to be no stockpiling on here like the old TTD industrys
you thought

@DJ Nekkid:
well, as long as we don't have some sort of CargoD[e/i]st in trunk (which I believe to be quite a while!), it could be a nice mechanism for distribution of these production boosting cargos. Especially in combination with conditional orders.
For example one could give these orders to a train that carries engineering supplies:

Code: Select all

Go to EngSuppliesPickup (Full Load)
Go to Industry1
Jump to order 1 if load percentage < 10
Go to Industry2
Go to Industry3
Go to Industry4
That is, if answer #1 from my previous post is true, i.e. the train will only unload as much as the industry accepts.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Roujin wrote: Consider the following situation. We have an industry which accepts one of those production boosting cargos, say Engineering Supplies. Its stockpile is full. Then some Eng.Supplies are used up and the stockpile is under the acceptance limit, say 190/200. Imagine a train with a rather big load of Eng.Supplies arrives now.
The cargo will stay on the train. Here are some suggestions:
- route the train on a round-robin route to other nearby industries, maybe vary the order to distribute supplies evenly
- use conditional orders EDIT, oh you suggested that above, I missed that post :)
- engineering supplies is processed predictably at about 120t /month (in current code), so tune the network to prevent the above happening? (there is a little variation in processing rate depending on amount of cargo waiting)

Stockpile limits *only* apply to production boosting cargos. They won't hurt anyone - the industry will try and boost production every month if there is *some* production boost cargo waiting. Doesn't matter even if it's just one crate, as long as there is some.
Last edited by andythenorth on 19 Oct 2009 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

andythenorth wrote:Stockpile limits *only* apply to production boosting cargos.
I.e. farm supplies, engineering supplies and survey supplies. All other cargos will NOT have a limited stockpile.
Just to be clear :D
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

now this i like! Very VERY promising... i CANT WAIT to try this out! :)
Member of the
ImageImage
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Roujin wrote:Also, here's a question I came up with:
Consider the following situation. We have an industry which accepts one of those production boosting cargos, say Engineering Supplies. Its stockpile is full. Then some Eng.Supplies are used up and the stockpile is under the acceptance limit, say 190/200.
in ECS if you would overflow the limit, the industry would not accept cargo unless stock is 25% empty. 150 in your example
Roujin wrote: Imagine a train with a rather big load of Eng.Supplies arrives now.
if it unloads all cargo at once, it all goes to the industry. Yes, you would get 2000 units of cargo.
if it unloads step by step (load speed is less than capacity) the accepting test should happen on every unloading step. So, the train would be partly loaded and leave the station in case it does not unload cargo for the other industry, which accepts this cargo.
Roujin wrote:Will the train only unload a portion of its load that corresponds to how much the industry's stockpile can fit?
unload a portion according its loading speed
Roujin wrote:Or will it unload all of it, the surplus going to the station instead of to the industry? Or even worse, the surplus somehow vanishes?
cargo should not disappear, but also should not go to the station that does not accept it if no unload is forced.
Image Image Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

FooBar wrote:I.e. farm supplies, engineering supplies and survey supplies. All other cargos will NOT have a limited stockpile.
In fact, if I can figure out the code, you will be able to deliver insane amounts of cargo to an industry and get it processed quickly :D

It's a little touch for those of you who simply must route 2000 maglevs to one factory :twisted:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Roujin wrote:One thought I'd like to share with you is differentiating the acceptance limit of 200 into a "not accepting anymore" limit (e.g. 220) and a "will accept again" limit (e.g. 180). Could be useful to reduce flicker between the states
This should be quite easy. It's one extra line on a varaction 2. EDIT: oh no it isn't.

I shouldn't give away my secrets, but it's probably fine to start accepting again at 200, but not change the text until about 190. This will probably give the best result. It will bother a certain type of player if we tell them - but hey it's a secret right?
Last edited by andythenorth on 19 Oct 2009 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

andythenorth wrote:I shouldn't give away my secrets, but it's probably fine to start accepting again at 200, but not change the text until about 190.
Bear in mind that most players will find out about the acceptance change from the station status popup, not from the text in the industry window... :o
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

PikkaBird wrote:
andythenorth wrote:I shouldn't give away my secrets, but it's probably fine to start accepting again at 200, but not change the text until about 190.
Bear in mind that most players will find out about the acceptance change from the station status popup, not from the text in the industry window... :o
Still its a nice touch, like say if you have A LOT of stations aorund your industry and you missed the change of cargo acceptance
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

PikkaBird wrote:
And also, what I wanted to do is not one extra line of varaction 2, but in fact rather horribly more complicated. So we'll all pretend we never discussed it. :D
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

WHy not try this

If the industry makes ....
0-128 accept 100 Supplies
129-256 accept 200 Supplies
257-512 accept 400 Supplies
513-1024 accept 800 Supplies
1025-2048 accept 1600 Supplies
Over 2048 accept Unlimited Supplies

or at least something like that
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

PikkaBird wrote:
You'd get more messages a month than can be displayed. That's why I suggest to have at least 25% delay.
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

NekoMaster wrote:WHy not try this
Try ECS :lol: Already done.
Image Image Image Image
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

George wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:WHy not try this
Try ECS :lol: Already done.
ECS Doesn't let me regear stuff, though theres only NARS2 that can do that, Pikkas next porject, a regearable replacement for UKRS Called PJ1K I believe it was caled with also have re gearing.

Suppose you guys could make a paremeter to make it so that you can play hard mode, where you have to supply industries with supplies, or a easy mood, where the old stuff that made supplise now make goods, which industries that needed supplies wont need supplies but will accept goods, though they dont have to accept goods.

so...

Hard mode : Industries like mines and farms need supplies and good service to produce cargo, and industries that produce supplies need cargo and service to make supplies.
Easy mode : Industries like mines and farms only need freuqent service to produce more cargo, and industries that made supplies will make goods which may or may not be accepted at mines
and farms to increase profits.
Last edited by NekoMaster on 20 Oct 2009 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

NekoMaster wrote:ECS Doesn't let me regear stuff, though theres only NARS2 that can do that, Pikkas next porject, a regearable replacement for UKRS Called PJ1K I believe it was caled with also have re gearing.
Actually it won't, since diesel locomotives in the UK were not delivered with such a range of different gear ratios. I'm still hoping to be able to offer an "autogearing" option for NARS that will not require the use of a cargo slot.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

PikkaBird wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:ECS Doesn't let me regear stuff, though theres only NARS2 that can do that, Pikkas next porject, a regearable replacement for UKRS Called PJ1K I believe it was caled with also have re gearing.
Actually it won't, since diesel locomotives in the UK were not delivered with such a range of different gear ratios. I'm still hoping to be able to offer an "autogearing" option for NARS that will not require the use of a cargo slot.
Aw, I thought it would include re-gearing, oh well.... I hope that you can get it so that gearing doesn't require a cargo slot :)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:Hard mode : Industries like mines and farms need supplies and good service to produce cargo, and industries that produce supplies need cargo and service to make supplies.
Neko, hard mode doesn't sound very fun to play. I won't be including that :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”