Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Post by MeusH »

Edit: Please voice your opinion in a poll! Here is an image with five choices. You choose up to two. Thank you :)
CopperUnloadVariations2.png
CopperUnloadVariations2.png (48.39 KiB) Viewed 7334 times
----

Hello. I have a great fun with Uzurpator's Tropic Refurbishment Set, but I couldn't find stations nor waypoints of the tropical theme.
I thought I may have a nice time designing and drawing a set.

For a nice beginning, a wooden station that will come in both desert and rainforest theme. It comes with a hut, a water tower and a kind of semaphore. I know it's difficult to notice the details, because everything is brown, but I'll do my best to make some contrast.

Please voice your opinions, point me what's wrong, and what can be better.
Attachments
ts_wooden.png
ts_wooden.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 15454 times
Last edited by MeusH on 05 Aug 2007 00:02, edited 6 times in total.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Looks quite nice. :)
Although all being brown might give problems later, with more complex layouts?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Very nice idea, MeusH. You know, maybe the people in the tropical climate paint their stations ;).
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Ooooh, looking good there.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

that actually looks really well. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks for feedback
Lakie wrote:Although all being brown might give problems later, with more complex layouts?
Yes, it may give some problems, but this station is meant to be crude, primitive and as simple as possible. A one-train-a-month station.
However, I'll try making the hut concrete (or stone) instead of wooden.

Maybye the water tower and semaphore (if any) should be on a bare land instead of a wooden platform?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Looks pretty good MeusH. I've been waiting for someone to start a tropical station set as the climate lacks suitable (industry) stations.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yeah, rubber and copper ore stations will be next.

Now, the water tower is outside the wooden platform. It still needs something under it (at least a shadow)
Attachments
ts_wooden2.png
ts_wooden2.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 15385 times
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

I, uzurpator, approve this thread with my own seal of approval ;)

Looking good :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Übernice! I love it! :D
Please make some diversity so you can design your own stations, like MB's station set. I don't like those pre-designed built-in-one-click stations.
At least, that's my two cents.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

uzurpator wrote:I, uzurpator, approve this thread with my own seal of approval ;)

Looking good :)
Thanks! :bow:
Purno wrote:Übernice! I love it! :D
Please make some diversity so you can design your own stations, like MB's station set. I don't like those pre-designed built-in-one-click stations.
At least, that's my two cents.
I'm planning to let player design city stations.
The first station aviable, the wooden one, won't consist of sophisticated parts like overpass or underpass. However, more modern stations will benefit these features.
As for industrial stations, I don't know yet whether players should design them. There isn't much about them. Some stockpiles, containers or pipes...

So there is a limit of 19 station parts per group of stations, is that right?
Is there a way to check whether a station tile is on a desert/grassy area so I can save half of the slots?

I'm looking for some reference pictures, like a rubber stockpile. Could you please tell me more about transporting rubber? Is it liquid, solid, or either?
In TRS I can use either tanker or a box car, so I think it may be either liquid or solid.

And a station-drawing specific dilema:
(see attachement) - are these four sprites required only, or there is something else I forgot?
(this question is related to non-visible parts of a sprite - should they be drawn, too?)
Attachments
required_parts_1.png
required_parts_1.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 15206 times
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Rubber if not treated at the spot is transported as a liquid. But since it is tapped from trees and usually put in Barrels you could do something with that perhaps?

If it is treated at the spot it consists if rubber slabs and should be transported in crates.

Good luck!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Purno, I reconsidered your idea, and I think that the basic stations may be good enough for both passenger and cargo.
Could you give me advices on graphics of the ramp please? You may notice it doesn't look nice...
Also, I changed the wood to a more uniform pattern - previous one may have been looking nice with the random wooden planks, but it also produced alginement problems.
What do you think on the new texture?

Is it possible to to change a sprite that is used depending on its position?
I'd like to change the basic platform sprite into a ramp if the sprite is at the border of a station (like Ramp-Platform-Platform-Platform-Ramp) without using extra station slot and bothering the player.

Caelan, thanks for tips.
Attachments
ts_wooden3_de.png
ts_wooden3_de.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 15089 times
ts_wooden3.png
ts_wooden3.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 15087 times
ts_wooden3_tr.png
ts_wooden3_tr.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 15079 times
Last edited by MeusH on 13 Oct 2006 18:07, edited 2 times in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean. Is that whole post directed to me, or just the first line? What ramp? What uniform pattern? What new texture?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by graphics_master »

Could you make the logs bigger. It looks good, but seems abit plain.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, forgot to attach attachment huh? Well, these looks very fine to me, even the ramp.
Image Image
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Looks good so far, MeusH.
I think the logs are fine the size they are, any bigger would look out of proportion. :)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

A wooden waypoint.

Please tell me more about a desired final image:
Shall I include the ground sprite or not?
Shall I divide the waypoint into ground sprite and a background (building+semaphore) (3?) sprites?
Also, can it auto-detect what version (rainforest or desert) should it build?

Note, there are no parts that should be over the train.
I'll make a n*1, n>1 tile version of the waypoint (just a footpath, without the hut and maybye without a semaphore)
Attachments
ts_waypoint_wooden1p.png
ts_waypoint_wooden1p.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 14982 times
ts_waypoint_wooden1.png
ts_waypoint_wooden1.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 14984 times
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Those look quite neat, MeusH.

And about the ramps, yes, you can make it so that your default set of platforms always have a ramp at one end, but in my oppinion this is (And bear in mind I'm a very lazy coder when it comes to stations): a) Too hard, b) Takes freedom away from the player, 3) Station slots aren't that much of an ussue if the coder watches what he's doing anyway.

But either way, you shouldn't worry about the coding, let the coder worry about that (Or are you doing both? :P). Get the kickarse artwork done first, it's the most important bit.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Feel free to use anything/everything from the Canadian Stations Set. Just remember to give credit where credit is due. :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”