does transport tycoon deluxe work on windows vista??

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
dannymartin89
Engineer
Engineer

does transport tycoon deluxe work on windows vista??

Post by dannymartin89 »

i need some help. I'm not the most computer literate person but i know a little stuff. I just need some help as to know if ttd works on vista in simple terms. I love this game form when i was younger and would like to no if it works as i'm wanting to buy it. can anyone help me?

many thanks! dan
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: does transport tycoon deluxe work on windows vista??

Post by XeryusTC »

You can go for two options, TTDPatch and OpenTTD. They're both fine and which one you want is what you prefer more. OpenTTD is easy to set up and has bigger maps and multiplayer. TTDPatch is a bit harder to get working but it allows more control over settings and you can keep as true to the old game as you want, it also supports most of the newgrf spec while OpenTTD only supports a part of it.
There's A LOT more differences between the two, but there are too much to say here :P.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Just FYI. You do need either the TTD Patch or OpenTTD though. You can't just run Transport Tycoon by itself on Vista.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dan: To get TTD on vista using TTDpatch, just copy and paste the latest nightly into your TTD directory, depending on whether you have the DOS or Windows version dictates whether you need DOS or Windows patch.
when it's in, run the patch file, it will crash, let it crash, but then a config.xml will be created, open that with notepad and change a line saying 'win2k off' to 'win2k on'
TTD will now run under vista, but you must use the patch .exe to start it.
If you want any more features, just turn switches in config.xml to on, off or a number, the wiki will tell you what they do.
XeryusTC wrote:TTDPatch also supports most of the newgrf spec while OpenTTD only supports a part of it.
Most? I thought it was all, unless you're thinking of OTTD specific grfs
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

OpenTTD is introducing some GRF features that TTDPatch doesn't support, m3henry.

Also, it's ttdpatch.cfg, not config.xml, that needs modifying. :P
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

orudge wrote:OpenTTD is introducing some GRF features that TTDPatch doesn't support, m3henry.
And, apparently, failing to document, which kinda defeats the purpose.

No, I'm not talking about FSMports. But something obviously has to be done to make industries require four cargos (X-Thread), and that something is equally obviously not documented. This is made even more onerous by the fact that the most likely way for that change to have been made requires that a grand total of seven words be added to the wiki. Eight, if you don't like contractions.

EDIT: That was the ancient spin-off, and probably (Probably? Almost certainly.) did not actually use NewGRF to do that.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

DaleStan wrote:EDIT: That was the ancient spin-off, and probably (Probably? Almost certainly.) did not actually use NewGRF to do that.
Indeed, it didn't. I believe there was talk of reimplementing the spin-off as a GRF, but I guess if that is happening, it'll be waiting for full newindustries support in OpenTTD.
dannymartin89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dannymartin89 »

ive tried 2 copy and paste the latest nightly into the directory but its not working. Also I'm using XP to run it instead of vista does this make any difference? nothing seems to work and i don't understand all this patch business it just all confuses me and i have no idea what im doing!
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

remember to include error message or we cannot help you
but I can assure you latest nightly is working on Vista and XP (when properly installed)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

You got that nightly here, right?
Either download DOS version (stating 'dos' in the filename), or the Windows version ('win32'), depending on what version of TTD you own.
Extract the contents of the zip file into the directory you installed TTD in.

Right now, you should have a ttdpatch(w).exe file in your TTD directory. Run it. A command window will appear. Read the contents and answer the question at the end (yes, ofcourse you want to continue).

Right now, there are two possibilities. Either the game crashes or it functions. Either way, let it crash, or end the game manually.

A new file called ttdpatch.cfg was created. Open it using notepad and you will discover all possible settings. Don't get scared, there's a Wiki explaining all. First of all you need to locate the 'win2k'-switch and set it to 'on' (if not set already). After that, the game should run properly.

Now, spend an afternoon figuring out what the other switches do :mrgreen:
cgullzcry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cgullzcry »

Ok, I have the TTD Nightly patch but I can't actually get the game to install from the CD so I can't put the patch in the same directory as the game is installed (because I can't seem to install it).

It's giving me a message that says, "This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

If I click on "Ignore" instead of "Close" it still closes the whole process and still won't install.

Thank you for any help you can give me! I love this game and would love to play it again.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

copy whole TTD folder from CD
change name of English.exe to GameGFX.exe
run ttdpatchw.exe
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
cgullzcry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cgullzcry »

Ok, I copied the folder but there is no English.exe file to be found. I do see an Install.exe. Is that what you mean?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It means you have the DOS version. Unless you want to wrangle DOSBox, start over, and this time download the Windows version.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
cgullzcry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cgullzcry »

Oh my! I'm not trying to be difficult but I bought this game on cd ages ago.

Where would I go about getting the Windows version?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ummmm......

You might consider trying looking up three threads.
cgullzcry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cgullzcry »

For those who are totally new to the conundrum of trying to get Transport Tycoon to run on Vista, XP or anything else:

http://www.transporttycoon.net/index

Owen's site provides a good explanation, downloads etc. and was very helpful. I didn't realize that there was a DOS version and a Windows version. I just found my old CD-ROM, whipped it out and hoped to get it running. Apparently, the Windows version is very difficult to find for purchase.

I just thought I would put one final reply here for other clueless people like me who stumbled on the forum but not Owen's site. Duh!

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”