Build in Pause discussion

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MHTransport
Engineer
Engineer

A cheat but useful.

Post by MHTransport »

I use it to alter trunk lines and major intersections. Sometimes, it is the only way to do it and not stuff your network.

My current game I had a four lane trunk line running north south and in the middle I had a major sawmill station with about twelve fast trains servicing it. And many other trains went past on the trunk line.

It wasn't working well so I added another trunk line north south just over a bit and then set checkpoints to get the passing trains to use it. I had to remove the extra lanes to get the space, move the swamill station, make the station one way, rejig the intersection add the extra lines, add transfer intersections, add depots and without annoying the neighbouring town.

It would have been almost impossible without build in pause. Especially if you are not sure if a track layout in your head is possible.
A better OS: http://ubuntu.com/
Soon an even better OS: http://haiku-os.org/
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

teeone wrote:
Simkid wrote:Anybody have an idea how hard it would be to implement the build time thing suggested? Probably the easiest thing would be anyhting that is built gets the status under construction, and a fixed number of these under construction tiles are "completed" every day, which ones in a specific day are random, so if you build too much at once you may end up waiting a long time.
This could get really complicated...But if you implemented that kind of delayed construction while paused, shouldn't you also implement a delayed construction while in normal time, since its not "realistic" to build a line of 40 pieces of railroad in one day.....so i think thats kinda moot.....
I think in TTD scale 20-30 squares a day is ok
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: A cheat but useful.

Post by dominik81 »

MHTransport wrote:I use it to alter trunk lines and major intersections. Sometimes, it is the only way to do it and not stuff your network.

It would have been almost impossible without build in pause. Especially if you are not sure if a track layout in your head is possible.
Yes, you're right. And it's another reason why build in pause is a cheat. Because the normal way is to stop all trains going through that junction while reworking it. With great financial losses. If you can simply re-do it over night without any risk, than it's a cheat.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Guys, you are talking like 'build in pause' has been removed. IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED!!!. It is in the cheat menu, which you can access with CTRL+ALT+C as said many times before. Turning it on will let you do all the things you could do before.
The only difference is that everyone will know that you have used that 'feature'.

What is the big problem? :roll:
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

If build while in pause mode is a cheat then so is auto-trck and auto-signal why? it gives you a unfair advantage of being abl;e to lay lots of tiles at once.

and then theres the level land option just drag and drop and you have a nice flat piece of land carving through a huge mountine that would have otherwise taken years to go through..
Magic_Pixel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Magic_Pixel »

stewis> I think the devels have a good point. While your competitors could build auto-railways and auto-signals as well while playing, not all your competitors (speaking of a network game) would like to pause the game when you do. Also if you build while pausing the game they might as well go to toilet, because that's why breakes/pauses are for. (IMO)

Have fun!
...maintainer of Romanian OpenTTD translation...
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Darkvater wrote:Guys, you are talking like 'build in pause' has been removed. IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED!!!. It is in the cheat menu, which you can access with CTRL+ALT+C as said many times before. Turning it on will let you do all the things you could do before.
The only difference is that everyone will know that you have used that 'feature'.

What is the big problem? :roll:
Before if you have used it you were a normal player.And now you are a Cheater.I don't want to be a cheater :evil:
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Killer 11 wrote:Before if you have used it you were a normal player.And now you are a Cheater.I don't want to be a cheater :evil:
It was a cheat before, it just wasn't in the cheat menu. The reason is that we didn't have a cheat menu when it was implemented.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Mad Dog McKill
President
President

Post by Mad Dog McKill »

dominik81 wrote:
Killer 11 wrote:Before if you have used it you were a normal player.And now you are a Cheater.I don't want to be a cheater :evil:
It was a cheat before, it just wasn't in the cheat menu. The reason is that we didn't have a cheat menu when it was implemented.

I don't remember seeing it being named as a cheat when it was introduced in TTDPatch and OpenTTD...

Its not a cheat - its a reduction in building time :?

I wouldn't like to access the cheat menu just to be able to use this feature.. I am not a cheater..
OT: By FIREMARK: "Limitation disturbs me very sprites. Goes it throw out limitation?"
My Last.fm Profile
My Facebook Profile
Cephalaspis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cephalaspis »

Why moving it to cheat menu, which is hiden? Cant it be moved to game settings or difficulty?
NCarlson
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NCarlson »

That seems to me to be the best option, put it as a difficulty option (or even on the patches menu). I admit that it's not exactly a legit option, but I don't like calling build whgile paused a cheat.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Is it so hard to press ALT-CTRL-C :roll:
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Is it so hard to press ALT-CTRL-C :roll:
Sorry, Spiff, but why don’t you understand it? There is such a thing, which is called moral convictions. For example, not to kill, not to steal, not to lie, … others. Not to cheat is also such a conviction. I do not use cheats in my games (not test games). That’s my rule.
I have nothing against features or configuration or even configuration changing is stored inside the save (as far as I know, TTDPatch stores the configuration in the save). BUT, I DO NOT USE CHEATS. That’s why I shall fight till the end to prevent calling this feature the cheat. Even if it will be the death of OTTD for me.

I think storing the list of used features in the save and moving the “build while pause” to the features list would be Ok for all?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, personally, I don't really care if this is a cheat or a feature, as long as I can turn it off in the Patches window. Can we please stop arguing about it? :)
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

George wrote:Sorry, Spiff, but why don’t you understand it? There is such a thing, which is called moral convictions. For example, not to kill, not to steal, not to lie, … others. Not to cheat is also such a conviction. I do not use cheats in my games (not test games). That’s my rule.
I have nothing against features or configuration or even configuration changing is stored inside the save (as far as I know, TTDPatch stores the configuration in the save). BUT, I DO NOT USE CHEATS. That’s why I shall fight till the end to prevent calling this feature the cheat. Even if it will be the death of OTTD for me.
I'm on your side here :D
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Mad Dog McKill
President
President

Post by Mad Dog McKill »

BobXP wrote:
George wrote:Sorry, Spiff, but why don’t you understand it? There is such a thing, which is called moral convictions. For example, not to kill, not to steal, not to lie, … others. Not to cheat is also such a conviction. I do not use cheats in my games (not test games). That’s my rule.
I'm on your side here :D

George you are saying exactly what I wanted to say...

If the buildwhilepaused option will not be moved to back to the original gui, I'll probably have to return back to my F1 horrors again.. sorry but this is very dissapointing news.. and the majority is currently against this - 58%..
OT: By FIREMARK: "Limitation disturbs me very sprites. Goes it throw out limitation?"
My Last.fm Profile
My Facebook Profile
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

:buMp:

this needs addressing :!:
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Do not bump topics needlessly. This is effecitvely a doublepost of the other one with the poll: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9558

I'll therefore close this one.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

Return to “General OpenTTD”