Windows Vista: KERNEL32.DLL error

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NicoBR333
Engineer
Engineer

Windows Vista: KERNEL32.DLL error

Post by NicoBR333 »

Hello there.

So, it seems like my computer is capable of running Windows 7 and 8.1, but I have decided to use Windows Vista since that is the only Operating System that I have an activation key (and that works, since USB Booting option isn't there).

So, having in mind that OpenTTD just works on Windows Vista (according to their website), I've installed the application and the installation worked all fine... Until I decided to run it and it gave a function error on the KERNEL32 dll. No idea if that's really supposed to happen, but I have actually installed all of the Windows Vista's update, including the Server 2008 R1 ones, but same error happened

Do anybody knows a fix or maybe some new version with a fix of it? Is it possible that Windows Vista's support would get dropped on the next update? OpenTTD 1.2.0 for Legacy OS (XP SP2 to 98SE) worked pretty fine, but I can't enter into the Multiplayer mode
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Windows Vista: KERNEL32.DLL error

Post by jfs »

We don't go out of our way to break compatibility with older versions, but also don't actively stay away from using features introduced in newer versions of Windows.
I don't remember exactly what was changed but I do remember we had some patches in the past few years that used APIs only introduced in Windows 7, at least.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

This was resolved in a GitHub issue. In short, Vista is no longer supported.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Consider switching to Linux. If you can run all the programs you need on an old OS such as Vista, it is very likely that they would run equally well on Wine.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Steam allows you to roll back to version 1.11.0, which was released back in 2021. Likely not far enough back, but you could give that a try and see if it works. OpenTTD is free on Steam, then just select Beta.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
odisseus wrote: 06 Dec 2023 23:38 Consider switching to Linux. If you can run all the programs you need on an old OS such as Vista, it is very likely that they would run equally well on Wine.
Only for clarification, OpenTTD in itself does run natively on Linux. No need for running Wine especially for OpenTTD.

Tschö, Auge

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”