I started with an idea I want to play a Ukraine scenario or at least a map. Ukraine is quite a big state, in fact the largest in Europe. It has a lot of interesting natural features, various landscape and diverse economic regions, which I think can be used for a really great OpenTTD scenario. Additionaly, due to russian military agression in Ukraine, many people saw the maps and heard the names of cities, rivers. That's why I think the scenario can be of interest to people.
There is one heightmap in the downloadable content and I thought that could be a great start for what I want to do. But that map has 1 major issue, for OpenTTD heightmap, an image must be 45° rotated. I tried to rotate it, but then you either has to crop the corners or fill the voids. So I realized I need to create it from scratch. And here we go!
Currently it is work in progress and I plan to post my progress here. Surprisingly it is a very interesting project for a computer nerd.
The plan is the following:
- Generate the heightmap
- Add big water features (Black and Azov sea)
- Add mountains (Carpathian and Crimean)
- Add rivers
- Form the overall elevation
- Add certain local cultural/historical features. Like Snake island and slagheaps in coal-mining regions. These features are small at scale, but important and recognizable
- Create scenario
- Add towns and villages
- Add industries
- (Optional) Potentially add decorative features like monuments.
Current status: The heightmap Beauitiful Ukraine x2048 v1.0 is out. Or search in the `Check online content`.