Shading

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Shading

Post by wallyweb »

While working on a project I needed a shading reference in gray. but there were no definitive examples in the NewGrf specifications.
So I had a little "too much time" on my hands and I decided to do a graphical work up.
The best example of shading seemed to be the groundtiles where shading is consistent throughout all climates in both TTD and OTTD ...
... with one exception: snowy tiles.
It seemed that the sun was a tad lower for snow.
Was this a glaring error on the part of Mr.Sawyer?
Perhaps not. Perhaps he somewhat accurately reflected the seasonal tilting of the planet.
See for yourself. I have attached a copy of my worksheet for you to use as a reference for your future projects. Do with it as you will.
The attachment is for the DOS palette, but a Windows version is available upon request.
SpriteShadingWorksheet_D.png
DOS Pallette
(143.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet

And now a little challenge for anybody who has a lot of "too much time on their hands". 8)
Go through your Arctic climate sprites and redraw the snowy versions to reflect the somewhat lower sun in the sky.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Shading

Post by wallyweb »

I uploaded a revised image.
I had to adjust some of the shades to accommodate perpendicular views which are used by buildings, trains and vehicles as well as some objects.

Note that this is very subjective and any comments would be appreciated.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I spotted the 'sun comes from the top right' comment from 2004 in the examples spritesheet ;)

That's wrong for the majority of original TTD sprites, it's a long standing myth which won't die :twisted:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote: 24 Dec 2021 09:04 I spotted the 'sun comes from the top right' comment from 2004 in the examples spritesheet ;)

That's wrong for the majority of original TTD sprites, it's a long standing myth which won't die :twisted:
Thanks Andy. :D
Are you able to point me to a proper reference?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote: 24 Dec 2021 10:19 Are you able to point me to a proper reference?
Not really, just what the eyes can see.

The original TTD graphics are mostly shaded from about 5pm on the clock. This gives good contrast on buildings as one face is bright and the other is more shaded.

The ground tiles are from a slightly different sun angle (north facing tiles are lit), I assume because it creates quite a nice effect.

Some original TTD building roofs often have inconsistent shading direction because it looks better, or because copy-paste-flip.

Original TTD vehicles, for certain angles the shading is just arbitrary, it's just whatever makes the sprite look good.

So the most common angle is 5pm, for buildings, but there is a pleasing lack of consistency.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote: 24 Dec 2021 18:37 ... but there is a pleasing lack of consistency.
That's it!!! You have just defined the reason for the everlasting success of our favourite game. :bow:

By the way, 5pm can be anywhere on Earth depending upon when and where and how high one is standing or sitting on this planet. The sky is unlimited and horizons are infinite and every day is a sunny one. 8)

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”