US Set available [Trains v0.87.4d released 27 April 2008]

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Set available [Trains v0.87.1 released 19 Jul 2007]

Post by krtaylor »

Cool!

DanMacK, you know enough about GRF to fix this, I hope? Or do we have to have Oracle's original files?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

You can just decode the USSet grf file, and change that number on the line indicated by Glx. It is not that hard to get GRFWizard, decode GRF, and change a number. I would have done it, but i only had 2 minutes to make this post. :P
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

OK. Mentioned change made, but not tested; version updated to "0.87.2 (14 Nov 2007)"
Attachments
USSetw.zip
(419.79 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
USSet.zip
(414.69 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Thanks DaleStan. krtaylor, I'm an artist, don't get me anywhere near NFO, it gives me a headache... lol
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

:bow: Thanks! :bow:

I know how you feel, DanMacK...
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Umm, this fix was supposed to fix the boxcar grain refit bug, right?

Because it doesn't. :cry:
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

glx wrote:About the reefer capacity "bug" in build window (OpenTTD), I've found where it is and how to fix it.
I ponder where you got such impression, cause his post clearly said something about reefer capacity not grain refit.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

In digging in the archives, I found the old GRF file for US Town Names, much better than the rather lousy "American" names built into the original TTD. I remembered it as being rather problematic, but on testing it, I can't seem to find anything wrong. So I've released it on the main site.

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa

If anyone has any problems or other issues with it, please report them in the dev thread. Hope it makes your games more realistic!
Fonzirelli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fonzirelli »

I've been playing TTD for quite some years now and I have stumbled on what appears to be a beautiful set of trains here, one problem:

As soon as the game loads the opening menu screen, I get an error messages saying:

Error loading ussetw.grf sprite #9

any ideas?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Fonzirelli wrote:As soon as the game loads the opening menu screen, I get an error messages saying:

Error loading ussetw.grf sprite #9
First thing to check is in your ttdpatch.cfg file ... look for experimentalfeatures.mandatorygrm ... it should be off.
Fonzirelli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fonzirelli »

Hmm, not sure if that's what did it cause I also re-installed everything, but it works great now! thanks
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

krtaylor wrote:In digging in the archives, I found the old GRF file for US Town Names, much better than the rather lousy "American" names built into the original TTD. I remembered it as being rather problematic, but on testing it, I can't seem to find anything wrong. So I've released it on the main site.

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa

If anyone has any problems or other issues with it, please report them in the dev thread. Hope it makes your games more realistic!
@krtaylor,

I love those new US town names! Am I dreaming, or does the 'Ordinary US' ones parody forum members (I noticed there is an 'Owen Ridge' in there. :P )

No problems with it whatsoever on my end of things. 8)
Without Trains America Stops

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, you'll find several notables hidden slyly in there. This file was actually prepared years ago, but at the time we never could get it working correctly. The problem seems to have been a Patch bug, since it's working fine now - I ran across it, gave it a shot, and ran it past a coder who confirmed that it appeared to be in order. Have fun!
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

In OTTD, train running costs are around 11x or 12x lower than they are in TTDP. This has been the case since 0.86, and it's really ruining the difficulty. This may seem like an OTTD bug, but I've reported it in the past and been told that it has to do with the way the US Set handles running costs.
Last edited by White Rabbit on 21 Feb 2008 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It does. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a bug in Open. The docs list 49 options for that property; Open choses to support only three.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Technically the GRF is correct, but I still believe it is a 'bug' that it uses the purchase price of ships for the running cost of all rail engines (not just one or two which would allow for very different prices)... This is not good for compatibility with a ship set that quite rightly may want to change the base ship price.

However, I have a patch ready for testing...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

IIRC, the US Set was the first train set to attempt to raise the prices, and at that time keying off the ship prices was the only way to do it. I expect the Patch has evolved a good bit since then. Is the way the US Set handles pricing still the appropriate way to accomplish higher prices, or is there a new method that is more correct?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

There is a way to adjust the base prices, but it is implementated as a shift (so they can only be multiplied or divided by 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) rather than the seemingly simpler method of specifying an absolute base value...

So you can increase costs but you can't get the exact same base cost as the purchase price of ships. This is not really a problem but it does mean more work if the US Set was to switch the base as the factors would need to be changed to keep the costs the same.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I don't think anyone cares if the prices stay exactly the same, they could certainly be a little bit off and nobody would notice. However, it sounds like what you are saying would take a good bit of coding work - and we don't have the coding resources ATM to fix the critical bug of the boxcar not being able to be refit to carry grain. :cry: Not to mention the piles of new liveries waiting for coding. So I doubt this will be addressed anytime in the forseeable future. If someone would like to prove me wrong, though, I certainly have no objection! :lol:
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Well as of r12209, OpenTTD now supports using any base cost as per the spec (and it's also implemented for road vehicles.) That doesn't change my stance on using the ship purchase base cost though ;)

Return to “Graphics Releases”