The latest patchy snapshot of my work is always available at
http://pasky.or.cz/~pasky/dev/openttd/grfspecials.patch , however it tends to
get synced with SVN frequently. Currently it contains some preliminary support
for custom waypoints/checkpoints graphics (MB's newstatsw.grf).
So far it handles the less complex train vehicle sets fine - arcticset and
temperate set and even most of the BRSet. It also handles newships fine. Now
the main focus is to get the other vehicle sets to work
- long road vehicles and planeset. Then I plan to move to tropicset (which is
already relatively complex) and the final target for now is dbsetxl.
I will update this topic as the work goes on.
How to use the GRF files? Add something like this to your openttd.cfg:
Code: Select all
[newgrf] 0 = arcticsetw.grf 1 = tempsetpw.grf 2 = newshipsw.grf
What works so far:
- Arcticset - complete, without tweaks; Dm3 middle wagon doesn't work (it just
does not exist for OTTD), but they say it does not work with TTDPatch properly
- Temperate set - complete, without tweaks; no known problems.
- BRSet - Some engines change their sprites depending on in which year were
they built. That doesn't work in OTTD yet.
- New ships - complete, without tweaks; no known problems
- Long road vehicles support. (Inspired by George.)
- Some GRF files infrastructure - list of already loaded GRF file ids,
configurable which GRFs to load, maybe also some TTDPatch-like GUI. I do not
yet have much clear idea how would I implement GRF files unloading, though. It
would (will?) be annoying to implement, but it is probably quite important to
have. Well, we'll see yet.
My current long-term graphics plans:
- I'll first focus on having the smaller pieces working and then I will move
on to a bigger target (not directly to the huge dbset beast, though; I think I
will do tropicset first, which is also already pretty advanced).
- I would like to do support for custom stations as well, not sure if it will
be reasonably doable.
- When support for custom GRFs will be reasonable complete, we plan to ditch
GRF format and invent own one, better, more flexible and uncluttered. Currently
we aim at PNG with user chunks + some tool to manipulate it (especially the
user chunks containing the game data but also maybe support for splitting it to
this at all. I do not guarantee on continuing to work on it but hopefully the
code is easy to work with enough for someone else to pick it up.)
(Also please note that this topic is heavily moderated, only informative posts
are kept. Problem reports are deleted after they are solved - there's nothing
personal in that, I just want to keep this topic uncluttered and easy to browse
for actual information. If you want your problem reports to stay around
forever, don't be afraid to open a topic in the OpenTTD Problems forum.)