[OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by NekoMaster »

~ NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC ~
--------------------------------

Now using 2cc Trains in NML code for much better support of different sizes and articulated vehicles!

Available through the Online Content Downloader Bananas!
(Also available at the end of this/first post)

~ NARS 2.5 Passenger Mod Recommended for the increased passenger capacities! ~

Welcome to the development page for the NARS Add-on Set. This is where I, Nekomaster
and possibly others will be releasing updates and providing support for the project.

The NARS Add-on Set is a project that aim's to add more North American style locomotives
to be used in game along side PikkaBirds North American Railway Set [2.51 April 2015]

Here is a current list of helpers and credits

Project Coordination : Nekomaster (probably sucking at this job)

Coders : Nekomaster (with code made by transportman for the 2cc Train Set)
Graphics : DanMacK, NekoMaster, Pack Man, PikkaBird, Paulicus25, Emporer Jake, Engine97
(Let me know if I forgot anyone!)

More credits will come later as more people work with the set as well as peoples works being
added to the set. I intend to give people full credit for their work, be it code or graphics, or
what ever else is needed.

And a big thanks goes to Sylf for helping me understand how to code NML and get a set going.

CURRENT VEHICLE LIST

~ You can download the GRF and/or the Data Sheet below! ~

Data Sheet (Dropbox) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/p17zqjsof7a7x ... ~.ods?dl=0

Just place the "nars_add_on_set_r####.tar" into your OpenTTD NewGRF folder

Project Folder and Source Code : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfrv5nwjnq1q ... aL0_a?dl=0

Windows users, this is in "Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf"

Linux Users, this is in "~/.openttd/newgrf"

For Mac Users, this is in "~/Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf"

nars_add_on_set_rev2222.tar
CURRENT AS OF AUGUST 2022
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
Last edited by NekoMaster on 18 Aug 2022 03:50, edited 24 times in total.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC

Post by NekoMaster »

I'm so glad I finally switched to 2cc Trains Code, I should have done this from the start.

But now we can even more north american steam locomotives as well as all the larger diesel, turbine and electric locomotives I couldn't use before.

I hope you people enjoy the new version and unless something drastic changes with openTTD or a better way to code things comes out,
this should be the last remake I do of NARS ADD-ON SET because I don't want to keep remaking things and never getting through my backlog of sprites to use.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r1040)

Post by Supercheese »

Eyyy this looks pretty nice, I'll have to try it out in my next game!
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Supercheese wrote:Eyyy this looks pretty nice, I'll have to try it out in my next game!
I still have a ton of diesels to add and then theres the multiple unit and railbuses
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Heres something that might make some people happy :)
Attachments
Pendington Transport, 1986-10-23.png
Whats that thing?
(65.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r1070)

Post by NekoMaster »

Version r1070 with its 70 vehicles may be released, but theres still lots of work to do until I'm done, which may be never :P

I'm currently working on adding more Modern American rail cars like the Comet and Horizon cars and modifying them to look a little more NARS like to fit in better. I'd say the 2cc Trains Comet cat Voyager One made is almost spot on for a NJT Comet II car.
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Hey NekoMaster

Just noticed that you've finally gotten round to adding my steamer sprites. Very much appreciated, very much. Everything seems pretty much fine. I notice the minor tweaks to the wheels that you have made - i think this looks pretty good. Kudos to you sir!

My only niggles are with the cab forward. The carriages seem to clip into the tender a bit, perhaps it is fractionally too short. Better a minor gap than an overlap. Also the smoke comes out of the front of the cab, not out of the chimney! Only minor niggles though. Being able to use these in my games finally is absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

paulicus25 wrote:Hey NekoMaster

Just noticed that you've finally gotten round to adding my steamer sprites. Very much appreciated, very much. Everything seems pretty much fine. I notice the minor tweaks to the wheels that you have made - i think this looks pretty good. Kudos to you sir!

My only niggles are with the cab forward. The carriages seem to clip into the tender a bit, perhaps it is fractionally too short. Better a minor gap than an overlap. Also the smoke comes out of the front of the cab, not out of the chimney! Only minor niggles though. Being able to use these in my games finally is absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much.
Glad to see your happy with it, I was actually thinking you might be a bit upset that I can only have 2 animation frames and that I had to simplify the big boy and ac-12 because the 2cc trains in nml code doesnt do articulated parts like a mallet truck.

Also I've been constantly fighting with long sprites to get them not to clip on things, theres not a whole lot I can do other then cutting off parts of the sprite.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r1100)

Post by NekoMaster »

New version up! Added some more locomotives and passenger cars as well as fixed the cargo aging and loading speed (I wish I had of figured this out before I started loosing 2 million on express passenger trains in game)
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

I did notice that you had switched them to single sprites as opposed to the double parters, but i wasn't surprised. To be honest i don't blame you they still look fine anyway. And trying to get that overlapping to work right with the cab forward when the articulated bogie was the opposite way round could have been an evil challenge. So no I am not gonna moan about that - I am at least somewhat realistic. I only did those sprites for consistency with NARS2s challenger and mallet as that's what those were - I am not a coder so i wouldn't know how things are written - I simply based things on what i saw!

Will grab the new version and give it a whirl as soon as I am able to.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

paulicus25 wrote:I did notice that you had switched them to single sprites as opposed to the double parters, but i wasn't surprised. To be honest i don't blame you they still look fine anyway. And trying to get that overlapping to work right with the cab forward when the articulated bogie was the opposite way round could have been an evil challenge. So no I am not gonna moan about that - I am at least somewhat realistic. I only did those sprites for consistency with NARS2s challenger and mallet as that's what those were - I am not a coder so i wouldn't know how things are written - I simply based things on what i saw!

Will grab the new version and give it a whirl as soon as I am able to.
Now that i think about it, I probably could have the articulated parts as 2cc Trains codes long vehicles with 3 parts, with the front and rear pieces being invisable empty sprites, but i probably could add the boogies by replacing one of those empty sprites with a real sprite.

I'll try it some other time when I'm not hung over and sore.
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

I wouldn't stress myself over doing it to be honest. They look fine as they are. No need to mess with them really. Especially as i am pretty sure that NARS2 has added some sort of sneaky trick in there no doubt to fix overlapping properly, and if there are versions of the sprites needed for that (which i have the feeling there are) I don't think I drew them, not for every angle at least. You might end up with god knows how many clipping issues.

I would save yourself the effort on work on something else. If you really want to tweak something, possibly just the couple points on the cab forward I mentioned (smoke position, tender size) if you haven't already (still haven't tested the newest version yet as I have had to work). No pressure, obviously.

Otherwise I look forward to what else you have planned for this set, if anything.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

paulicus25 wrote:I wouldn't stress myself over doing it to be honest. They look fine as they are. No need to mess with them really. Especially as i am pretty sure that NARS2 has added some sort of sneaky trick in there no doubt to fix overlapping properly, and if there are versions of the sprites needed for that (which i have the feeling there are) I don't think I drew them, not for every angle at least. You might end up with god knows how many clipping issues.

I would save yourself the effort on work on something else. If you really want to tweak something, possibly just the couple points on the cab forward I mentioned (smoke position, tender size) if you haven't already (still haven't tested the newest version yet as I have had to work). No pressure, obviously.

Otherwise I look forward to what else you have planned for this set, if anything.
Well right now I'm working on adding Narrow Gauge stuff from across north america, which will provide cheaper rail stuff at the cost of capacity and speed, but might be nice for industrial stuff or for making your own Denver and Rio Grande, White Pass & Yukon, or Newfoundland Railway (all of which where 3'6'' Gauge railways, at least until D&RG regauged to standard gauge)
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Sounds interesting.

Personally i am not a fan of having narrow gauge rail types in my games. I really don't like having to build separate networks for specific locomotives. But i guess that's just me.

Would there be a parameter to toggle narrow gauge on/off, or to make the narrow gauge run on ordinary track, so that it gives people the flexibility to configure the set how they would like? Just a thought.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

paulicus25 wrote:Sounds interesting.

Personally i am not a fan of having narrow gauge rail types in my games. I really don't like having to build separate networks for specific locomotives. But i guess that's just me.

Would there be a parameter to toggle narrow gauge on/off, or to make the narrow gauge run on ordinary track, so that it gives people the flexibility to configure the set how they would like? Just a thought.
Like metro/3rd rail stuff in my set I have it so that the narrow gauge stuff defaults to Rail or EL Rail if there isnt a narrow gauge compatible rail type available.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r1126)

Post by NekoMaster »

New version posted on Banana's and in the first post! Narrow Gauge stuff now included!
Engine97
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Engine97 »

I wonder with great curiosity if you have anymore steam locomotives planned?

Regards.

-Engine97
Sandpatch and Southern Railway Company~~~~ Route of the Alleghenies
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Engine97 wrote:I wonder with great curiosity if you have anymore steam locomotives planned?

Regards.

-Engine97
I have more, some unusual and obscure oness, but its all about having the sprites to code. Its one thing for me to draw up diesels and electrics but steam engines are a bit to complex for me to draw.

Maybe someone will step up tot he plate in the future and help draw up the missing sprites from my Data Sheet/List of things to add.
Engine97
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Engine97 »

I'd love to help with some art work, if I can.
Sandpatch and Southern Railway Company~~~~ Route of the Alleghenies
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Engine97 wrote:I'd love to help with some art work, if I can.
Go ahead if you feel like it, just choose what ever you feel like drawing and I'll see about adding it to the set. I'm mostly looking for NARS Styled stuff but I guess I'll take what ever I can get for now.

Heres My Data Sheet List of things, anything you see marked with NO SPRITE means I dont have any sprites nor do I know where I can get some.

(Thankfully Dropbox lets people view spread sheet files in the browser, if it asks you to log in, just click "No Thanks, Continue to View" at the bottom of the window that pop up)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p17zqjsof7a7x ... ~.ods?dl=0

EDIT : Also anything that says "Mod a sprite" also means I dont have graphics for that either, I just put that there as a reminder I could myself make something by modifying an existing sprite.

For example, the EMD NW4 switcher could be made by modifying the EMD SW1000 or SW12000 sprites from the NARS set. Thankfully I have permission to use NARS 1, 2 and 2.5 sprites in my set (so long as I give due credit for the graphics)

Return to “Graphics Development”