Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auz Lineside and Roadside Objects

Post by GarryG »

SimYouLater wrote:afflicted with being called "(undefined string)".
Been experimenting and the problem seems to be with my object set called Auz_Water_Objects.

If place this at very last in your lists only this set will have the "(undefined string)" message .. and it something to do with the Reef Objects.

I have to go to a medical appointment so not be able to experiment for a while.

When I find the problem will add a new version of Auz_Water_Objects.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

GarryG wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:Not sure if its this set's fault or a problem with JGR's Patch Pack, but I figure I'll start here.
I not used the JGR's Patch Pack .. so can not help you in this department.
SimYouLater wrote:The AuzObjects aren't playing nice with train,
Is it all of the Objects have problems or certain ones?
SimYouLater wrote:afflicted with being called "(undefined string)".
When I first made my sets, I only tested them, never looked at the other objects sets I had loaded to see if problems there.

In the "NewGRF Settings" in "Active NewGRF Files .. My sets were loaded towards the top and other all object sets where loaded at the bottom .. which I looked just now I was getting the "(undefined string)" with all object sets at the bottom which are: City Objects, VAST + Fences, VAST (Objects), Beach Objects, and SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects.

So I changed the order putting my sets at the bottom after all over object sets. Now only one set has the "(undefined string)" .. which is the Auz_Water_Objects.

Seems like my sets are conflicting with other sets .. so I'll have to do some experimenting try find the answer.

Appreciate you bring this to my attention. Thanks you SimYouLater
No problem. I love the work on this set and would use them if not for this bug, so I'd love to see the problem fixed and am glad to assist in making that happen. ^_^
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

SimYouLater wrote:No problem. I love the work on this set and would use them if not for this bug, so I'd love to see the problem fixed and am glad to assist in making that happen. ^_^
You welcome .. you caught me just before I heading out the door .. do me a favour if you can .. if your using Auz_Water_Objects .. remove that from your list and see if problem still there. Problems something to do with the rocks and reef in that set .. I think.

If I remove this from my list have no problems .. so see if same with what you using.

I got to go or I be late for my appointment.

Cheers
Soot Happens
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

GarryG wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:No problem. I love the work on this set and would use them if not for this bug, so I'd love to see the problem fixed and am glad to assist in making that happen. ^_^
You welcome .. you caught me just before I heading out the door .. do me a favour if you can .. if your using Auz_Water_Objects .. remove that from your list and see if problem still there. Problems something to do with the rocks and reef in that set .. I think.

If I remove this from my list have no problems .. so see if same with what you using.

I got to go or I be late for my appointment.

Cheers
Unfortunately this does not work for me. I could send you a list of my NewGRFs if you'd like? I should note I'm using the versions of your NewGRFs on BaNaNaS.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

SimYouLater wrote:Unfortunately this does not work for me. I could send you a list of my NewGRFs if you'd like? I should note I'm using the versions of your NewGRFs on BaNaNaS.
I asked over at viewtopic.php?f=68&t=48891&p=1179474#p1178097 to see if there is an answer to why get the "(undefined string)" message.

I now have the answer and I going to have to change things in the codes. I best to do this on all the object sets I made so might take several days to do. Not able to do any today as I going on a train ride shortly.

Watch Bananas as I fix each object set I will add them to there and also a copy be placed here in this forum.

Cheers pal
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Went for a train ride to Sydney today from Cardiff .. taking a few video clips on the way as the scenery is lovely especially when following the along the banks of the lakes and Hawkesbury River between Gosford to Hawkesbury River Station. The journey from Hawkesbury River up the long grades to Cowan and passing through all the tunnels good too, but I was on wrong side of the train to take any pics of the valley below.

Viewing the pics and some infrastructure to see what I can add to the object sets and wonder if anyone would use the Signalling Cable troughs. (See pics).

The first pic bit hard to see properly because of the long grass and weeds.
Signaling & communication Wires Troughs2.png
Signaling & communication Wires Troughs2.png (144.95 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
This is a clear shot I found under a bridge and looks fairly new.
Signaling & communication Wires Troughs.png
Signaling & communication Wires Troughs.png (210.13 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
These communication troughs have cables in them to work automatic signals, motorised points (switches), level crossing boom gates and phone communications.

Whether or not I can make something similar that I hope to try when I fix the problems with the object sets. Need to do another train tip soon to Sydney again and get some more videos and still pics with more details of these troughs at signals, points, level crossings etc.

If I successful with a design that looks like these troughs hope to add to the AuzFakeRailwayLines_Add-ons.

While in Sydney I visited the Australian Railway Historical Society (ARHS) at Redfern and got some pics of Eveleigh Workshops and Loco depot, and the MacDonaldtown carriage sheds. Hope to see if I can make objects of these later too.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

SimYouLater wrote:Unfortunately this does not work for me. I could send you a list of my NewGRFs if you'd like? I should note I'm using the versions of your NewGRFs on BaNaNaS.
Hi SimYouLater, could you do another test for me .. I changed the codes that I thought was causing the problem, but no go.

Are using the AuzFakeRailwayLines .. if so could you remove this from list, and leave the others see what happens.

My problem seems to be a conflict with AuzFakeRailwayLines and Aus_Water_Objects. Even with codes changed still same problem getting the "(undefined string)" message.

If I remove the file AuzFakeRailwayLines I no longer get the message.

Cheers pal .. much appreciated if you can check for me.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi SimYouLater, could you do another test for me .. I changed the codes that I thought was causing the problem, but no go.

Are using the AuzFakeRailwayLines .. if so could you remove this from list, and leave the others see what happens.

My problem seems to be a conflict with AuzFakeRailwayLines and Auz_Water_Objects. Even with codes changed still same problem getting the "(undefined string)" message.

If I remove the file AuzFakeRailwayLines I no longer get the message. If I remove Auz_Water_Objects I no longer get that message, but when both are in the list I get that problem.

Cheers pal .. much appreciated if you can check for me
Soot Happens
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

GarryG wrote:

My problem seems to be a conflict with AuzFakeRailwayLines and Auz_Water_Objects. Even with codes changed still same problem getting the "(undefined string)" message.

If I remove the file AuzFakeRailwayLines I no longer get the message. If I remove Auz_Water_Objects I no longer get that message, but when both are in the list I get that problem.

Cheers pal .. much appreciated if you can check for me
I'm going to give you a copy of my configuration file and every NewGRF I own in a PM. Download JGR's Patchpack and then try running it using my files.
Licenses for my work...
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi all,

Anyone else having the problem with "(undefined string)" messages in the "Object Selection" when playing games.

The problem seems to be the Auz_Water_Objects .. if I load this above some other object files many of the object files below it will get the "(undefined string)" message. If I move the Auz_Water_Objects below all over object sets only this file will have the "(undefined string)" message.

The object files it seems to interfere with are Beach Objects, SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects, and MariCo v0.34.

SimYouLater sent me a copy of his configuration files and NewGRFs and end up with same conflicts as he had SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects, and MariCo v0.34 loaded in his NewGRFs.

I changed all my Class codes see if that would fix problem but no luck.

Strange part is Beach Objects, SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects, and MariCo v0.34 all have water based tiles and so does my Auz_Water_Objects.

So for the time being till I find a way to fix this conflict, that is if it can be fixed, please place the Auz_Water_Objects at the very end of your objects.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I think the problem may be with class "SHIP"....
I have tested it a bit and I get some issues with your GRF and SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects
Example203.png
Example203.png (21.06 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
I cant find the sourcecode of Supercheeses GRF, so cant doublecheck if he also has a class "SHIP" in his GRF... Maybe worth to check that with him ;-)
At least try out what happens if you change "SHIP" (not only in the .lng but also in the .nml) with something else....

I am curious though when your GRF conflicts with my Beach object set, looking at your classes and mine, I dont see any that would conflict...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

There shouldn't be problems with conflicts in the first place, should there? I know that his farm objects and mine both use FARM - I mean, it's kinda obvious ;) - and all it does is use the same string for both; depending on the load order it'll be called Auz Farming ... or just Farming. That's how it's supposed to work, no? Not a bug, a feature.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Pyoro wrote:There shouldn't be problems with conflicts in the first place, should there? I know that his farm objects and mine both use FARM - I mean, it's kinda obvious ;) - and all it does is use the same string for both; depending on the load order it'll be called Auz Farming ... or just Farming. That's how it's supposed to work, no? Not a bug, a feature.
Well, yes and no ;-)
Its a nice feature if you have multiple sets that you want to be combined in the purchase menu (for example my Dutch Station Addion sets), so that it looks like one big set in the purchasemenu and so a player can find all related stuff in one place.
But in this case the two GRFs are not related and, as you can see in the above picture I posted, it even disrupts the menu-setup. 3 rows of Auzobjects, then Ships&docks and then another Auzobjects.

Now I wont call this a bug either, but it does mean that a GRF-creator may need to be careful with choosing the class names if you dont want sets to conflict. An easy way to do this is by not using obvious names that others may think of as well (such as WATR, FARM, ROAD, SHIP, etc etc). I usually use a combination of letters and numbers, related to the name of the GRF and not to the classes. So, for example, the Dutch Station Addition Set, I use DSA1, DSA2, etc and not STAT or RAIL.
It is too bad though that you can only find out if others have used the same class-names already by playing the game and it gets reported by players and not by some sort of early warning system....
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, the mix between Auz und non-Auz there is because obviously that Auz Water-string is overwriten by the more generic string; Auz objects are there, too. It's only a visual thing. You'd get something similar if you had my farm objects loaded before the Auz ones.

It's really a matter of convention in the end. I use those generic strings (MISC FARM and FRST) for completely generic names. Miscellaneous, Farming and Forest. Or something. Others prefer to use categories that reflect the GRF they're from, or the countries the content shows. Unless everyone agrees on something overlap will happen. Personally I don't think it's a big deal. I don't like the NewObjects menu much anyway as it is. A bit of extra mess is barely noticeable. ^^

That being said I think there's a wiki page or something with some class suggestions somewhere. Or there was, at some point. And I'd agree that for strings that show Auz in the menu maybe some "A..." or even "AZ.." would make sense.

But anyway this shouldn't have anything to do with that undefined string problem. That sounds more like a problem of too many strings or something weird. Above my level of NML knowledge. ^^
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thanks Quast65 and Pyoro for your comments and suggestions.

I tried changing all the Class and Classnames but still get same problem with the Auz_Water_Object set.

I know in other sets such as Industry sets if load more then one set they override each other and depending what order you put them not all industries are available or they don't accept and produce the what they suppose to.

Objects sets doing the same depending what order they are loaded whether everything is available and if where they should be.

I renamed are the Class and Classnames in the sets and I also changed "Object Selection" instead calling them all AuzObjects, they are now called names related to the NewGRF file such as AuzLinesideObjects, AuzRoadsideObjects etc.

But that didn't fix the problem. Still get the "(undefined string)" message. If I place all my objects sets at the bottom and Auz_Water_Objects the last one .. I still get the "(undefined string)" with the Water set. If I put the AuzFakeRailwayLines last and Water set 2nd last no problems. These files (Beach Objects, SNO-Supercheese's NewObjects, and MariCo v0.34) if added above Auz_Water+Objects have no problems with them.

Just strange when I do get the "(undefined string)" it any object set that has tiles that go on water or the water edge.

I now wonder if the problem could be in "object_flags" as for my water based tiles I have these "OBJ_FLAG_DRAW_WATER, OBJ_FLAG_ON_WATER, OBJ_FLAG_NO_FOUNDATIONS".

I shall experiment with them more and see what happens.

Cheers fellas and thanks again for helping me.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Did some extensive testing on the NewGRF files I use to see if can find the answer to why we get the "(undefined string)" message.

It mostly a matter of what order you put the NewGRF files.

If I put the Auz_Water_Objects 2nd last and the AuzFakeRailwayLines last in list .. had no problem.

Then I went back to scratch just had the Auz_Water_Objects and added one at a time of all the files I use .. and as soon as I added the aircraft file WAS 2015-10-23 the problem returned until I put this file very last. Then it didn't matter where I put the rest of the object files.
ActiveNewGRFFiles.png
ActiveNewGRFFiles.png (200.41 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
It seems to all boils down to the order you load your files.

Will be new objects sets available very soon as while changing the class codes, I also changed the "Object Selections" so easier to find .. as shown in this pic.
ObjectSelection.png
ObjectSelection.png (139.01 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
The AuzFakeRails: Catenary will not be included .. these still under construction.

Thanks to all those who commented and offered advice about this problem as I not sure when I would have noticed it. :)

Cheers

IMPORTANT UPDATE November 25.

Disregard what I said about placing the WAS at bottom of list. I just tested it a game and WAS now has the undefined string message it its cargo selection.
Last edited by GarryG on 25 Nov 2016 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Next few topics will have the updated versions to the object sets and the source codes.

I can not guarantee these will work with previous saved games with older versions.

Auz_Lineside_Objects - Version 25.
Auz_Lineside_Objects.tar
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Auz_Lineside_ObjectsSourceV25.tar
(18.92 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
ChangeLog

Version 25: 24th November 2016
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Change Classs codes to help stop conflicts with other object sets.

Change name in "Object Selections" so easier to find amoungst over Auz Object sets.

Fixed sprite Coal Stage with Hoppers.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Auz_Roadside_Objects .. Version 22

I can not guarantee these will work with previous saved games with older versions.
Auz_roadside_Objects.tar
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Auz_roadside_ObjectsSourceV22.tar
(19.88 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
ChangeLog

Version 22: 24th November 2016

Change Class codes to help stop conflicts with other object sets.

Change name in "Object Selections" so easier to find amoungst over Auz Object sets.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Auz_Landscape_Objects .. Version 4

Auz_Landscape_Objects.tar
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Auz_Landscape_ObjectsSourceV5.tar
(8.88 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Version 4: 24th November 2016

Change Classs codes to help stop conflicts with other object sets.

Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Auz_Water_Objects .. Version 5

Auz_Water_Objects.tar
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Auz_Water_ObjectsSourceV5.tar
(9.65 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
ChangeLog

Version 5: 24th November 2016

Change Class codes to help stop conflicts with other object sets.

Change name in "Object Selections" so easier to find amongst over Auz Object sets.
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”