Better bridge parameters

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Better bridge parameters

Post by Wahazar »

Albeit there is many bridge newgrfs including awesome TBRS and some other with minor modifications,
I'm not happy with overall bridge statistics.
For example bridges speed limit and prices are low, differences are insignificant - it is usually fixed by other newgrfs,
however on the other side, huge difference of price and speed limit for suspension and cantilever bridges bugs me out.
They are OK for standard openttd gameplay (suspension good for RVs, cantilever for trains), but goes awkward if track or/and wagons speed limits are involved.
In such case, player is forced (due to economic reasons) to build suspension bridges instead of cantilever ones,
which looks weird in case of railway lines.
My newgrf provide similar parameters for suspension and cantilever bridge, additionally availability dates are spread from 1840 till 1970.
Other fixes are increased length of short bridges and silicon bridge for vacuum trains.
Most of above fixes are already floating in separate files, now they are available on bananas in my betabridges pack.
Because I have very limited NFO format knowledge, I used Grfmaker and slightly modified its NFO output and used grfcodec for compiling.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Better bridge parameters

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Thanks for this one :) I'm using it and like it. It makes tons more sense.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

New version 0.6 is available. I tweaked parameters, costs, lengths and dates for use with add-ons such Total Town Replacement Set, Total Bridge Replacement Set or American Road Replacement Set.
These sets have stone/brick bridge instead of wooden, therefore it deserve higher velocity (and cost). Additionally, I shifted some bridges introduction dates, because tied arch bridge look rather like modern bridge, not XIX century one.
I corrected also some bridges lengths to avoid glitches.
New version is available in content online.
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

McZapkie wrote:I corrected also some bridges lengths to avoid glitches.
Beautiful. No longer will towns build ugly too-short or too-long Tied Arch bridges :bow: I'd prefer keeping them to length 5 (+2 heads) exactly, but length 3 or 4 looks good enough too.

Bug report! Tubular silicon bridges are coming available in 2020 along with the tubular steel. According to your readme the silicon bridge should not be available until 2040. Otherwise, fantastic!

Edit: Also, several bridges don't seem to have a maximum length set. I should only be able to build a steel tubular bridge longer than 32, but I still get options for silicon tubular, concrete viaduct, modern suspension, steel cantilever, and steel suspension. In fact I can go as long as I want with all of these, including the steel tubular which should be maxed at 64... :lol:
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Tsylatac wrote: Bug report! Tubular silicon bridges are coming available in 2020 along with the tubular steel. According to your readme the silicon bridge should not be available until 2040.
Thanks for finding it out, new version 0.7 is available, I corrected and changed these dates to 2015 and 2030 accordingly. No idea how to change maximal length properly, seems that there is hard-coded limitation, all above gives infinity length.

I tweaked also prices and lowered max speed for 1840 bridge to 90 km/h, because this bridge was overpowered (but I decreased also its price, it is a cheapest bridge).

Return to “Graphics Releases”