A bridge

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Froix
Engineer
Engineer

A bridge

Post by Froix »

Monkey Bar Bridge 1.1

You can set it to replace either tubular or cantiliver bridges via parameters. OpenGFX and original TTD graphics supported. At first I was going for a bowstring kind of bridge but it looked more like a ladder or a monkey bar considering how TTD works with long bridges.

Releasing it under GNU GPL v2

(also wanted to get opinions on a new maglev track graphics I'm currently working on - 2nd pic)
Attachments
monkey_road.png
monkey_road.png (148.09 KiB) Viewed 23698 times
monkey_maglev.png
monkey_maglev.png (41.23 KiB) Viewed 23698 times
monkeybarbridge.tar
(104.5 KiB) Downloaded 1069 times
Last edited by Froix on 22 Oct 2013 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A bridge

Post by supermop »

looks good!

Seems like a good alternative for the tubes. Is the color dependent on speed or way type? I would suggest not having supports ever tile - the thickness of the chord of 'truss' should allow this to span a longer distance.

I like the maglev - are you going for a JR/channel style?
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Good job. Bridges are well looks on the screenshot :) . What types of bridges are planning to add in this set?
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Woah, it totally looks good. :o

About the maglev tracks, can you show us a shot with trains on then, including maglev trains by several various NewGRF (Monolev, Japan Trains, etc.) ? They looks like steel beams compared to steel and concrete right-of-way...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Awesome bridge.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

That bridge is gorgeous, I'll be replacing the tube bridges (I really don't like the look of them), and i agree with what someone else said, would be better with fewer intermediate support beams, if any.

Maglev track looks great too, better than the default, i'd be interested in seeing that released one day!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Thanks!

Uploaded a little update with additional parameters and proper documentation to make it all official.

Third parameter - Support pylons can be hidden. Hidden by default.

Fourth parameter - Support for road newgrfs. (1-American Road Replacement Set) I'll probably add more in the future.
Attachments
monkey_road 2.png
monkey_road 2.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 23237 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Great work again, is it uploaded onto the OpenTTD ingame content system? (Bananas)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Ya I got the first one up on there. I can't get this update up though. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Froix wrote:Ya I got the first one up on there. I can't get this update up though. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow.
aaah, good.

May I ask if you plan to make other bridges? I'd love for you to make an entire bridge set, you seem good at them, and im looking for some nice new bridges to replace the defaults :3
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Making a new version of TBRS with his bridge included ? :D

EDIT : maglev-supported bridges anybody ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I've got the file but there's no sign of the bridges in my test game. Using nightly 25758.
Yes, I am loading the newgrf...

Ah, there's an incompatibility with another newgrf that cancels the monkey bridge. I'll need to experiment to find the culprit. In a game with just the monkey bridge it appears straight away.

The bridge looks great!

It's the obvious. Total bridge renewal set.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Maybe... TTRS bridges ? It works fine with TBRS, altough I'm not sure is mine's 1.12 or 1.2 ...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

It's a bit tricky. TBRS 1.12 works with monkey bridge as long as monkey bridge is listed after TBRS in the newgrf list.

However, there's another newgrf that I'm using which stops the monkey bridge from appearing so perhaps TBRS is fine (actually, we've both proved it works!).

I've got quite a few to check...

Strange. It looks like TBRS interferes if it's loaded and monkey bridge is set to replace cantilever...I just get the cantilever bridge. If set to replace tubular then I get the monkey bridge. (That's with just this newgrf and TBRS 1.12 loaded)
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Yea, I'm not completely sure but OpenTTD currently does not seem to support new bridge types so current bridge newgrfs can only replace what's already there. Consequently, multiple bridge newgrfs could be replacing the same bridge, the last who replaced the bridge wins. Guess you just have to play around with it.

I'll probably be adding more bridges in the future but currently I'm working on other things.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

One thing I have noticed, when building a road bridge, the third bridge which is mentioned to be a monkey bridge in the image, is actually a tube.

See image below, I will assume it is related to the road set I use (British), but just incase here is an image to help, would also be nice if you could update it for more road sets ;)
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Yea I actually looked into editing the name strings, taking me to long to find how and got bored XD. I'll look into it when I get more time.

I'd love to add in more road sets. I'm just not aware of others except the American road which I often use. I'll look into those too.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

As it turns out, I made a boo boo (common for me :lol:) - Its the Total Town Replacement Set I use. I've fixed it up by toggling the parameters on it, to disable the TTRS roads. All is good now :3

Anywho, I look forward to any future updates you make with this GRF, and any more bridges you add!
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Oops I just realized it's not the name strings you're saying but the image icon. What happened is my bridge got loaded - changed the bridges - changed the icons, TTRS got loaded - changed the bridge - left icons unchanged (why? because it still is a tubular icon and did not expect it to be changed by another newgrf like my bridge :/ ) You could do what you already did which is set them to avoid replacing the same bridge via parameter or better yet TTRS could update each icon each time it changes a bridge.

Anyway thanks, I'll upload any updates as soon as I get more road sets in.
Froix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Froix »

Uploaded an update.

Added support for a pair of road sets I found via content download - UK Roadset and CS Roadset. The bridge should automatically detect proper sprites without setting parameters.

Return to “Graphics Releases”