OTTD: Modern European Metro Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What next?

Düsseldorf U-Bahn
10%
Amsterdam Metro
6%
Oslo Metro
3%
Hannover Stadtbahn
4%
Rome Metro
2%
London Underground
28%
Paris Metro
13%
Milan Metro
2%
Athens Metro
1%
Rotterdam Metro
3%
Madrid Metro
2%
Barcelona Metro
3%
Moscow Metro
17%
Petersburg Metro
1%
Bucharest Metro
3%

Total votes: 93

Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

OTTD: Modern European Metro Set

Post by Hans Kruzer »

My first set! Developing since Summer of 2013, of when I was a bit immature :lol: . In the latest version, there are 10 rail vehicles. All are used in Germany, 9 of them are true metro/underground trains (U-bahn) and 1 is Light Rail (Stadtbahn). Currently are the modern trains (Usually 1990's onwards types) in the set from the cities of Berlin (3), Hamburg (2), Munich/München (2), Nuremburg/Nürnberg (2) and Frankfurt (1).

Developing: Düsseldorf, Hannover, and Köln have a stadtbahn system as well but some may know as a U-Bahn. As of June 21 2014, the set is no longer restricted to trains in Germany, and now will accept requests for modern metro systems from across Europe!

We have sprites or in progress for the metro systems of: Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich, Nuremberg, Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and Prague. Next due are trains of Amsterdam, Duesseldorf, Oslo, and more!

Coders, Information-finders, and artists wanted!

CREDITS :bow:
Graphic artists:
Me!
Yoshi
UseYourIllusion(former)/Tinymusic
Manuel18

Coders:
Alberth (test), SuperCheese

Translators:
English - Supercheese
German - Yoshi
Afrikaans - te_lanus
Spanish - Manuel18

GPL v2

The progress:

Germany (15 trains, 7 cities)

Berlin

BVG HK Berlin
Drawn by me, coded by Supercheese

BVG H Berlin
Drawn by Yoshi, coded by Supercheese

BVG F92 Berlin

Nürnberg/Nuremberg

VAG DT3 Nürnberg

VAG DT2 Nürnberg

Hamburg

HHA DT5 Hamburg
Drawn by Tinymusic/UseYourIllusion, coded by Supercheese

HHA DT4 Hamburg
Drawn by Tinymusic/UseYourIllusion, coded by Supercheese

Frankfurt

VGF U4

VGF U5
Drawn by me, not coded yet

München/Munich

MVG DT2 or B-train

MVG C-Train

Stuttgart

SSB DT8

Cologne/Köln

KVB K4000

KVB K4500
Drawn by Yoshi, not coded yet

KVB K5000

Denmark(1 train, 1 city)

København

Copenhagen ABD
Drawn by me, Not coded yet

Sweden(1 train, 1 city)

Stockholm

Stockholm C20

Austria(2 trains, 1 city)

Wien/Vienna

V-Train

Type T1

Czech Republic

Prague/Praha

Siemens M1
Drawn by Manuel18, not coded yet

Finland

Helsinki

M200

Netherlands

Amsterdam

M5
Attachments
UBahn.grf
(NEW)Version 4, renewed some graphics, added open/closing doors and the new U4 Frankfurt train.
(77.63 KiB) Downloaded 2283 times
Sources V4.zip
Sources of version 4!
(45.63 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Last edited by Hans Kruzer on 08 Mar 2015 05:05, edited 90 times in total.
Tschüß!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A modern U-Bahn set?

Post by Purno »

AFAIK there's no such set ATM.
Hans Kruzer wrote:and I'm sorry to say this but I don't anything about making GRFs ;( but if I could I would do this in a flash, so I am asking if anyone is willing to do it :lol: or even teach me an easy way to help :P For the Fatherland! lololol
Making GRFs require two things; Graphics and Code.

I don't know much about coding, but I have done a bit of GRFMaker in the past, which is basic enough to make something. More complicated mechanics would need more complicated code, but there's plenty of documentation around if you want to look into it.

As for graphics, there's a few tutorials around, and you can always look on other people's spritework to see how they do it. Any tool which can paint pixels will do :P

---

It's unlikely people will just make this set because you request one. But if you put some work in it, it's likely people will jump in to help :)

Alternatively, if you draw some 2cc U-Bahn trains, perhaps they can be included in the 2cc Subway Set.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Purno wrote:As for graphics, there's a few tutorials around, and you can always look on other people's spritework to see how they do it. Any tool which can paint pixels will do :P
Well I did scour the forums on graphics development it seems its possible to draw trains on paint :D I think lol
Though I haven't found any way how to...
Do I simply just draw the horizontal, vertical and side views of the train on windows paint?

Ignore the thing I posted at th bottom if you wish its just me practising drawing :P
Attachments
little railbus thingy made raw off paint and its paint brushes :P
little railbus thingy made raw off paint and its paint brushes :P
testbahn3.JPG (4.51 KiB) Viewed 31275 times
Tschüß!
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I suggest you have a look at http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

roboboy wrote:I suggest you have a look at http://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/.
:idea: thank you thats exactly what I neeeded :D
Tschüß!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Mind you that Purno still maintains a damaged palette on his tutorials. It has to be rotated by 180° to get the right colour indices, counting from left to right and top to bottom.

Correct palettes can be found here, e.g.

Vehicle sizes should be like this:

regards
Michael
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hans Kruzer wrote:and I'm sorry to say this but I don't anything about making GRFs ;( but if I could I would do this in a flash
No real code there unless I missed something. The nearest is GRFMaker, which is a way to simplify NFO handling. Nowadays NML (Documentation | Tutorial) is pretty easy, quite common, and is somewhat looks like C++. The drawing tutorial that people linked is the most common one.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hans Kruzer wrote:
Purno wrote:As for graphics, there's a few tutorials around, and you can always look on other people's spritework to see how they do it. Any tool which can paint pixels will do :P
Well I did scour the forums on graphics development it seems its possible to draw trains on paint :D I think lol
Though I haven't found any way how to...
Do I simply just draw the horizontal, vertical and side views of the train on windows paint?

Ignore the thing I posted at th bottom if you wish its just me practising drawing :P

MS Paint will do, though other tools may provide more advanced tools. The basics you really need is to pick colors and to draw a single pixel, but it's useful to have other tools, like drawing lines, copy/pasting. Easiest is probably to pick a program you're used to.

As for your quick sketch, it seems like you know how isometrics work and got a decent feel of the size. But I don't think you need the paintbrush tool much. In my experienced, mostly you're drawing single pixels, short lines or copying small parts (windows, wheels, pantographs).
Hans Kruzer wrote:
roboboy wrote:I suggest you have a look at https://users.tt-forums.net/purno/PDT/.
:idea: thank you thats exactly what I neeeded :D
Ah those tutorials are pretty old and the quality of the artwork there is pretty basic, but it should be enough to get you started. Improving your pixelling skills just takes practice :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

michael blunck wrote:Mind you that Purno still maintains a damaged palette on his tutorials. It has to be rotated by 180° to get the right colour indices, counting from left to right and top to bottom.

Correct palettes can be found here, e.g.

Vehicle sizes should be like this:

regards
Michael
Hmm... can't access my site ATM, but I thought I addressed this issue by linking to those files. I'll check later. I doubt I still have the login info of my site though. It's been years since I did something with it :P
Image Image
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Okay I have figured out MS paint (XP) and with the large zoom and 'show grid' option I seem to be able to draw pixels like that :D
I am going to make something off the dimensions and lighting you guys gave yay I can paint pixels :P
Tschüß!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Yay I made a box is this the correct way to draw?
It is 8x2 in length as side view and 7 pixels high the width is 3x2 pixels :D
Attachments
hehehe the noob painter train
hehehe the noob painter train
boxcarraige1.PNG (1.38 KiB) Viewed 31105 times
Tschüß!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: The Modern U-Bahn Set

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Well I find this fun. I have here a Berlin H-type U-bahn engine I have drawn only the / view as of now :D
I will include the other views shortly.

:bow: party for my first sprite ever

The end of the H-type engine has a dark grey line that is to make it appear articulated when attatched to other coaches. look closely in the front there is the cool windows they are known for and lights too. at the side there is 3 doors...
Attachments
my first train I ever draw :D
my first train I ever draw :D
BerlinUbahnHKzug.PNG (1.46 KiB) Viewed 31085 times
Tschüß!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

That doesn't look bad for a first drawing!

Could you also provide some zoomed in pictures, that makes it easier for us to see how you placed your pixels?
Because I feel there is something wrong with the boxshape you drew earlier.

Keep it up, it is very addictive and really fun to see your own creations in a game later on!!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Quast65 wrote:That doesn't look bad for a first drawing!

Could you also provide some zoomed in pictures, that makes it easier for us to see how you placed your pixels?
Because I feel there is something wrong with the boxshape you drew earlier.
Yes I did mess up the back of the box shape a bit Lol... I dont know how to save and upload it in zoomed format but you can just copy the image and paste it in paint, then zoom in from there :)
Tschüß!
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Always good to see someone begin their drawing career. Well done! :D
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

After about an hour, here we have it, the Berlin HK-type U-bahn train is finished painting and I put the transparent blue around it, correctly? >:D
Attachments
Yay HK-type train is done with all the views :D
Yay HK-type train is done with all the views :D
BerlinUbahnHKzugtrans.PNG (2.13 KiB) Viewed 30997 times
Tschüß!
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

That is looking good. A few pointers from my humble opinion:

- The roof looks strange. Try making it 'overlap' the edges if the train, if that makes sense.
- Also WRT the roof, I presume it is not completely flat in real life? Try adding some curve to it.
- In (O)TTD, sunlight is simulated from certain angles. I draw as if it is coming from high and to the right (although this is open to debate). Most if not all drawing tutorials will refer to this somewhere. Try adding some shading to the roof to simulate this.
- Maybe add some more detail to the doors? Particularly in the _ view where you see the doors more.

Also, I have sent you a PM!
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

SwissFan91 wrote:- The roof looks strange. Try making it 'overlap' the edges if the train, if that makes sense.
- Also WRT the roof, I presume it is not completely flat in real life? Try adding some curve to it.
- In (O)TTD, sunlight is simulated from certain angles. I draw as if it is coming from high and to the right (although this is open to debate). Most if not all drawing tutorials will refer to this somewhere. Try adding some shading to the roof to simulate this.
- Maybe add some more detail to the doors? Particularly in the _ view where you see the doors more.
All righty, I tried shading the roof, I also changed the colour slightly to seperate doors from windows, and the doors themselves each side has a different colour so they may appear like the sliding doors on U-bahn trains (and most other subways). The HK type doors are mostly glass there isn't much detail..
The windows too I changed a bit and the roof looking strange I'm not sure but I did edit the roof a bit...
Attachments
BerlinUbahnHKzugtrans.PNG
BerlinUbahnHKzugtrans.PNG (2.19 KiB) Viewed 30969 times
Better!
Better!
BerlinUbahnHKzugtrans.PNG (2.14 KiB) Viewed 30812 times
Last edited by Hans Kruzer on 09 Aug 2013 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
Tschüß!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's a great start! I hope you have lots of fun with the drawings!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

:D yay I feel so motivated xD

Finished the passenger wagons for the Berlin HK U-bahn train. the _ view is 1 pixel longer than the tail car or engine

and recently I painted over one set of wagon sprites for the Berlin Christmas train. It runs only on sundays of December in the U-bahn network and interior is decorated. :D
Attachments
passenger wagon
passenger wagon
BerlinUbahnpassengierwaggonHKtrans.PNG (2.09 KiB) Viewed 30837 times
Christmas passenger wagon
Christmas passenger wagon
BerlinUbahn[Christmastrain]trans.PNG (2.24 KiB) Viewed 30786 times
Last edited by Hans Kruzer on 09 Aug 2013 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tschüß!

Return to “Graphics Development”