ARRS Objects [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

ARRS Objects [WIP]

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi all, I've spent the day working on some NewObjects for the American Road Replacement Set, and rather than muddle up the release topic any more I decided to start a new one.

What I've got so far is very, very simple; basically just a proof of concept. The main focus so far has been with road-overlapping objects that allow you to create the look of an american-style freeway, in 4-lane, 6-lane, and even 8-lane variants, complete with transitions (no corners yet, though). Unlike Dutch Road Furniture, which basically just adds some shoulder to the sides of the road, these objects cover the whole road surface in order to change the paint markings on the road to create the full effect of a true freeway. This inevitably leads to some nasty graphics glitches however, so the objects have been designed to be "doubled up", such that each object overlaps another when placed side-by-side along the road. This effectively stomps out 99% of the glitching, but the placement of the objects might take some getting used to at first. Once things like intersections start getting thrown in, such "doubling up" of the graphics may not be practical, so some glitching is to be expected, though I'm trying my best to make it a non-issue.

I've also thrown in some (very) basic parking lot objects, since that seems to be something people would like to have available. :wink:

There is no slope or ground tile support yet, so using these objects on anything besides flat ground will not work, but it's enough to get a feel for what it will be like. Also the menu for the freeways may not be completely understandable at first glance, so you'll just have to play with it to figure out what everything is. Here's a picture showing the basic result:
Note that there are objects along the top edges of both roads, not just in the middle of them
Note that there are objects along the top edges of both roads, not just in the middle of them
objectspreview.png (117.12 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
I have many more ideas for things to be included in the set, so this is in no way a representation of the final product. That said though, if there's anything you would absolutely love to see in such a set I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions, maybe it'll give me some new ideas. Play around with the taster and let me know what comes to mind. :)
Attachments
arrs_objects.grf
(38.96 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
Last edited by Andrew350 on 17 Jul 2013 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ARRS Objects [WIP]

Post by STD »

I like the fact that you have decided to do :) . Looks beautiful. Now players will be able to build a motorway. Waiting for a new version of this set.
I also like the fact that now I can use exactly the same cover roads, including bridges.
ARRS.png
ARRS.png (91.93 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
Here's the truth small glitches coated roads. Direction unilateral roads everywhere able to specify. And the road itself is not displayed correctly when using the new objects.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Great, but somewhere there are yellow lines somewhere, and somewhere white.
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

yes, is difference
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Well, clearly these objects are not very intuitive to use in their current state. Some proper gui sprites and a clear in-game description will definitely be necessary to help clear that up. :wink:

There are two separate objects that need to be placed for each section of road, not just the one in the "middle" as you've done. The other must be placed along the "top" edge of the roadway, this will cover up the rest of the road. I'll add a picture to the first post to show the results when done correctly, maybe that will help in understanding it a little bit.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Mind the pillars randomly placed in the HOV lanes... :twisted:
Attachments
pillars.png
pillars.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 8609 times
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

These look great!

How about, as a suggestion, overlaps for freeway onramps (which would overlap/hide the t-intersection)
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

Interesting project! Those object are absolutely brilliant.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

kamnet wrote:Mind the pillars randomly placed in the HOV lanes... :twisted:
Yes, it's a good thing drivers in TTD don't know how to get out of the slow lane! :D
zooks wrote:These look great!

How about, as a suggestion, overlaps for freeway onramps (which would overlap/hide the t-intersection)
Should be possible, as long as you don't mind your vehicles seemingly veering off the road at the last second every time to make the exit. :wink: And mind you they would only be 1 tile long, though that's not really a problem. I'll have to experiment with this one and see what I can come up with. :)
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

see the Semanggi Flyover, include inner Toll road
screenshot.png
(81.33 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

SkiddLow wrote:see the Semanggi Flyover, include inner Toll road
screenshot.png
Ha, nice one! Maybe you can make the Jakarta highway system!

But again, where is the traffic?
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]

Return to “Graphics Development”