new to open ttd

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

new to open ttd

Post by fredreed »

I am new to playing open TTd. Is there is a beginners guide to installing train sets and other sets into the game? What would be the easiet way to learn how to play this game? Can you create bigger maps?
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: new to open ttd

Post by TinyMusic »

It's called going into Google and typing in 'OpenTTD tutorial' and you follow the tutorial in the wiki. Other information can be obtained by finding it in the wiki or this forum.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

fredreed wrote:I am new to playing open TTd.
Welcome!
fredreed wrote:Is there is a beginners guide to installing train sets and other sets into the game?
You may find the following link useful:
http://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF
fredreed wrote:What would be the easiet way to learn how to play this game?
The easiest way to learn this game is probably this link:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Tutorial
fredreed wrote:Can you create bigger maps?
Do you mean anything bigger than 2048x2048? For single player it's pretty huge already.

You can set the mapsize when you start a new game.
----
UseYourIllusion wrote:It's called going into Google and typing in 'OpenTTD tutorial' and you follow the tutorial in the wiki. Other information can be obtained by finding it in the wiki or this forum.
I agree that OpenTTD already have a comprehensive tutorial, but I am afraid it is slightly unfriendly just telling people to Google. Sometimes I think Google not too able to return comprehensive information.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

First of all, welcome to the forums :o
fredreed wrote:Is there is a beginners guide to installing train sets and other sets into the game?
It's called NewGRF, you could download most of them via the in-game downloader. Once downloaded, before starting a new game apply the NewGRF by going to the NewGRF settings, add the NewGRFs you want, then click "Apply" before leaving and start a game :)
Oh yes, don't forget to see the readme to know how to use the trains/anything in the NewGRF, it's very often more complicated than using the base...
Uh, this one is kinda hard for me... you could just search the forums, look up the wiki, or use any external search engines about it. Searching in YouTube would help also. If you previously played TTD, OpenTTD's gameplay isn't too far away.
fredreed wrote:Can you create bigger maps?
I guess you previously played TTD ? In that case, it's possible. Whenever you create a new game / scenario there's the option for map sizes.
For even larger maps than the ones currently available, you have to dig into patches, but I'm not recommending you to take them.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

YNM wrote:
Uh, this one is kinda hard for me... you could just search the forums, look up the wiki, or use any external search engines about it. Searching in YouTube would help also. If you previously played TTD, OpenTTD's gameplay isn't too far away.
I may be biased, but I would also recommend the in-game tutorial.

0. Start OpenTTD
1. Load scenario
2. Check online content
2. Download "beginner tutorial" scenario
3. Load the beginner scenario which is now available in the list of installed scenarios
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredreed »

I mean are there map sizes bigger then 2048x2048 to play in? I mean have played transport tycoon deluxe so I am already familiar with the basics of it but given the fact that this is open source I guess there's a lot more to it then being developed by one major company like micropose did.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

fredreed wrote:I mean are there map sizes bigger then 2048x2048 to play in? I mean have played transport tycoon deluxe so I am already familiar with the basics of it but given the fact that this is open source I guess there's a lot more to it then being developed by one major company like micropose did.
2048 x 2048 is the maximum size. That's 64x the size of maps in Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

fredreed wrote:I mean are there map sizes bigger then 2048x2048 to play in?
There is the extra large patch that allows you to make maps larger than 2048x2048. (If you don't know what a patch is read the OpenTTD wiki). There are some patch packs that has this patch with other patches, and you can get the binaries (executable files) in this forum.
fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredreed »

Where Do I find the extra large patch?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Among the easiest is to get either Vaulter's HardGamePack or Chill's PatchPack. You could compile only the larger maps patch yourself by adding it to the source of corresponding nightlies (r version) from here.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

note that you will lose the ability to continue your game in any newer version of OpenTTD, if you use such patches.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I recommend a game with plain trunk too to get you started and get a feel for OpenTTD; comming from TTD you will feel at home quickly but there are a few differences nevertheless (and thankfully). Also using trunk you get a taste of things to come in the next stable like eg. CargoDist which is need of testing at the moment. ;)
Maybe have a look in the development section later, there are indeed more then a few patches available.
Just make sure to apply them to the correct revision when testing them unless you are familiar with coding and bumping patches.
Also keep in mind that NewGRF and scripts have a lot of potential control over the game too, reducing the need to patch vastly in terms of gameplay.

As for the need to have a custom version only for the larger map feature ... I would not do that.
Like Edddi mentioned you will not be able to continue in another version (trunk/stable) but more importantly, you will never ever fill such a map completely.
Future patchpacks I may make will most likely not have this option available; not that I do not like the feature but I am yet to see a filled 2048 * 2048 map too; which is the main reason for devs not to invest time in this.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Zuu wrote:
YNM wrote:
I may be biased, but I would also recommend the in-game tutorial.

0. Start OpenTTD
1. Load scenario
2. Check online content
2. Download "beginner tutorial" scenario
3. Load the beginner scenario which is now available in the list of installed scenarios
This would be my recommendation too - but then again, I'm probably also slightly biased.
fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredreed »

Is it possible to start with more then say $200,000 at the beginning of the game.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Loans are limited to some max value (you can set an upper limit, but I don't know what the maximum is), beyond that, either setup a profitable route first, or cheat yourself a few millions: http://wiki.openttd.org/Cheat#Increase_ ... C000.2C000
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just go to the finance window, and Ctrl+Click on "lend money", to increase the money to the maximum loan.
fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredreed »

What is the typical starting year in a open ttd game?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

default game starts at 1950
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

YNM wrote:Among the easiest is to get either Vaulter's HardGamePack or Chill's PatchPack. You could compile only the larger maps patch yourself by adding it to the source of corresponding nightlies (r version) from here.
Hard Game Pack currently has stopped using the extra-large-map patch. Since Chill Patch Pack is outdated, you can try the Spring Patch Pack, which has many of the important features in Chill Patch Pack, including the extra-large-map patch.
fredreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fredreed »

How do I create my own vehicles for Open TTD? Is it easy to do?

Return to “General OpenTTD”