A 3 billion $ challenge

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

reuhcycle
Engineer
Engineer

A 3 billion $ challenge

Post by reuhcycle »

3Bn Challenge, 1st Jan 2000.sav
(746.48 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
I recently tried to generate 3bn USD/year of train revenue and ended up in 2130.
I was wondering if other nutcases would be up to the challenge with a common scenario?

Edit:
Here is the saved game to start from: http://www.jollant.net/openttd/3Bn%20Ch ... 202000.sav
Enjoy.

Edit 2:
File also attached
Last edited by reuhcycle on 15 Jan 2013 09:11, edited 3 times in total.
V453000 :)
President
President

Re: A 3 billion $ challenge

Post by V453000 :) »

just a hint: you will have to apply many additional rules like in which currency, unify your settings (or at least inflation one), and so on
ImageImageImage
reuhcycle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by reuhcycle »

I was thinking of starting off a saved file, which would provide all settings (default I guess)
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

That is probably the best approach, but I am not sure if currency is saved in the savegame.
ImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

V453000 :) wrote:That is probably the best approach, but I am not sure if currency is saved in the savegame.
Currency is a user interface setting. They are never part of the savegame. Each player in a MP game can use his or her own even while in the same company.
If you define the goal to be reached in a given default currency (like USD), that's a fixed definition which is the same for everyone and not a problem. People would just need to change their local setting to check. Alternatively make a small game script which checks the company value and will provide a winning screen when the goal is reached :-)
reuhcycle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by reuhcycle »

Since I have never written scripts before, I guess I will stick to the saved game.
The saved game is here: http://www.jollant.net/openttd/3Bn%20Ch ... 202000.sav
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Next time, would you please attach a file to your post, and not make a link to a third-party site? Thanks.
reuhcycle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by reuhcycle »

Done. Thanks for suggesting.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fastphil »

Digging up an old post here... IMO, getting to $3B/ year in train income will require more time than people would be willing to put in. Personally, I kept improving on one map I had, and ended up with "only" $1.8B/ year train income with a limit of 500 trains. I think I was in the year 28xx or 29xx until I more or less gave up on that map.

That being said, it's certainly not an impossible goal. With long trains travelling long distances, and having them backhaul the same type of cargo all or most of the way back to the starting point, all you'd need to wait for is several industries to start pumping out huge production numbers.
mfb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mfb »

With inflation, it is just a matter of time, and inflation rate will dominate the time needed to get any large amounf of money.

Original train acceleration model.... why??

Just 500 trains is a serious limit for this map size.

Return to “General OpenTTD”