Server set-up Hamachi

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Server set-up Hamachi

Post by Kiffira »

Me and a friend are wanting to play on a server and cannot for the life of us figure it out. I figured since i ran a minecraft server on hamachi that i can do the same with Openttd. If anyone could help that would be great. Thank you in advance
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Server set-up Hamachi

Post by planetmaker »

What did you try, what exactly didn't work, what did you expect to see then and what did you actually see?
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

the problem is we cannot figure it out we have never setup a server before. I have only done it with minecraft. We tryed going into his router and tryed to prot forward but it did not work so we r kinda lost. We planning on doing some co-op for our indvdiual Youtube channels. So basically we r lost and dont know what to do. We need a complete tutorial basically which is hard to come by apparently
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

I would just skip Hamachi - it's insecure, unstable, and (without authorisation/permission) uses IP addresses allocated to and used by other companies.

Port forwarding is sometimes a pain - OTTD uses ports 3978 and 3979, both TCP and UDP
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

OK thank you we will try that next time we want to play. We thought that both the ports were 3979. If it works that will be much thanks to you sir
Last edited by Kiffira on 21 Oct 2012 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FLHerne wrote:I would just skip Hamachi - it's insecure, unstable, and (without authorisation/permission) uses IP addresses allocated to and used by other companies.

Port forwarding is sometimes a pain - OTTD uses ports 3978 and 3979, both TCP and UDP
Lol, I just looked up Hamashi on the wiki. Indeed openttdcoop will be unavailable, if you use it ;-) (we're on or moving to a server in the 5.0.0.0/8 range).
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

My friend uses an Asus router which is a bit different from my Linksys. As in it does not have the nice application/games tab. So we can't figure out where to put the OTTD for application. Don't know if there is anyone that can tell us where to put the application in on an Asus router thanks will be obliged
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Please look at this site: http://portforward.com/ We don't know all router interfaces by heart as well, but this site has a quite comprehensive overview.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Anyway, only one of you need to forward ports - the one who makes the server.
So if you're done with port forwarding, simply start a server the normal way, like if you were playing on LAN. Your friend should click 'Add server' at the bottom of the multiplayer window, add the external IP address of your router (no 'Find server' needed), and he will be able to connect if there's nothing wrong.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

you also need to select an internet game. Not a LAN game.
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

OK I think we almost got it we just need a range we.got the top and the port now the only thing that is blank is the range and I do t think that portforward.com has Openttd as a.game in its options. Does.someone know the range I was searching all over the internet last night and could not find it
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FLHerne wrote:I would just skip Hamachi - it's insecure, unstable, and (without authorisation/permission) uses IP addresses allocated to and used by other companies.

Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

I thought those were the ports. Do they double as ranges as well. Or does openttd not.require a range
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I guess you cannot create a game "normally" so you use hamachi to play with friends... I did this a few times but it is quite a while ago.
From what I remember I cant tell any tips except disabling firewall when playing over hamachi, and the game then is in the LAN lobby, not multiplayer in OpenTTD itself.
Hope it helps

(I assume that you successfully connected on hamachi itself)
ImageImageImage
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

OK I think I got it to right I am gonna launch the game and the server and see if it works.so.if anyone can check to see if its up that would be great. Server name Kiffira.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Better check yourself: http://servers.openttd.org
Allow a minute or so for updates.
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

OK so this is what I did , I went into my router and put in ports tcp 3979 and udp 3979. Then put in my IP address and it still does not seem to show up. I am gonna trouble shoot it a bit for a while but as of now the server is down.
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

Got it up and running :D so happy all the help was awesome thank you so much.
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

Hey, just wondering, Ik that not *everyone* likes hamachi, but how would I set up a hamachi server, insted of non-hamachi?
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

It's not that 'we don't like Hamachi', it's that Hamachi uses IP blocks that are allocated to other Internet sites - as planetmaker pointed out, the openttdcoop server is among those (rather a lot) affected. I don't know if that makes it illegal or not (I would hope yes), but it will almost certainly have negative effects from your point of view. Also, there are known security issues with it...

What is the perceived benefit of running a server through Hamachi anyway? The only major use I've seen for it is hacked Minecraft servers, which doesn't exactly apply to OTTD. It's probably not much easier to set up, and you're almost guaranteed to have trouble with it later.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.

Return to “General OpenTTD”