WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.2 released (20 february 2016)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.2 released (20 february 2016)

Post by Quast65 »

EDIT: Version 1.2 is released on Bananas

Beach37.png
Beach37.png (160.3 KiB) Viewed 19809 times
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Very much WIP, but I wanted to give you all a glimpse of a little side project I'm doing. Totally useless but looks nice ;-)

Object tiles with beach graphics:
Beach02.png
Beach02.png (125.29 KiB) Viewed 21179 times
Beach03.png
Beach03.png (183.91 KiB) Viewed 21179 times
Special thanks to SwissFan91 for the kind permission to use umbrella graphics. The beachhouse is an altered graphic from the OpenGFX-base GRF.

I'm working on more tiles, also some of features in water, but mainly this will be a try out for animating objects. The idea is that these tiles eventually will change with the seasons from a northern hemisphere perspective ;-)
Last edited by Quast65 on 20 Feb 2016 15:28, edited 6 times in total.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WIP: Beach object tiles

Post by Supercheese »

Very, very nice! :mrgreen: If you're working in NML, you can look at OGFX+ Landscape's Wind Turbine for a good example of animated objects:

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... plant.pnml

http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/ogfx-lan ... dscape.nml
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Now that's a nice thing :-)

Personally I find the umbrellas pretty big... or maybe there could be some of different sizes?
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Lovely - could we have plain (no umbrellas) beaches too?

and beaches that can be built on water tiles? In case we want a larger beach?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Glad you all like it!
If you're working in NML, you can look at OGFX+ Landscape's Wind Turbine for a good example of animated objects:
Thnx for the tip, although I'm still working in NFO. I'm getting some help though for that also.
Personally I find the umbrellas pretty big... or maybe there could be some of different sizes?
I liked these because I'm afraid you will not recognise them as umbrella's when they are smaller. Feel free to draw a smaller one and I'll see how they look, because a combination might make it even more interesting.
could we have plain (no umbrellas) beaches too? and beaches that can be built on water tiles? In case we want a larger beach?
Yes, there will be plain tiles too.
Yes, they are already being coded that they can be placed on water and I'm also thinking of drawing flat tiles, to have flat beaches, sandbanks, etc too.

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Amazing ! :shock:

:bow:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

how do these blend in with the original graphics? (i'm afraid they won't but maybe that can be solved somehow, overlay graphics etc.)
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Yes, there will be plain tiles too.
Yes, they are already being coded that they can be placed on water and I'm also thinking of drawing flat tiles, to have flat beaches, sandbanks, etc too.
Did I ever tell you what a lovely chap you were? :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Wow, nice ! Hope the next be better.

Geez, Quast, I'm sure you done this for the screenies competition ! :mrgreen:

Anyway, how about we contact Whopper for his magnificent illusion of beach ? Maybe he can make something better...
(Or just make the rotations from his screenies)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

If you made some of the tiles industries, they could be made to accept passengers...
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

how do these blend in with the original graphics? (i'm afraid they won't but maybe that can be solved somehow, overlay graphics etc.)
The tiles themselves blend in pretty good already with the original sloped graphics as you can see from the screenies. I have drawn (read copy/pasted) the waterlines the same as the original tiles, so the waves match. For the sides I have made transition pieces from grass to sand (as you can see in the screenies), only the transition from sloped sand to flat grass is not gradual yet, I have some work to do on that.
Did I ever tell you what a lovely chap you were?
lol, calm down sailor ;-)
Geez, Quast, I'm sure you done this for the screenies competition
It was indeed one of the inspirations, however I doubt if it will be ready in time to be used in the competition ;-) Let's just say, to play fair I want to have a public release before I use it in the competition.
Anyway, how about we contact Whopper for his magnificent illusion of beach ? Maybe he can make something better...
Seeing those screenshots also inspired me to make this, however making those kind of beaches (especially the watercolors) will be very very difficult (if not impossible) due to the limitations of the color palette.
If you made some of the tiles industries, they could be made to accept passengers...
Good suggestion, however I find it tough enough to code stations and objects, industries is not on my to do list (yet). However, I will eventually release this set under GPLv2, so any coder can pick up the graphics and code them into industries.

And finally a little bit of news, thanks to the help from Wallyweb over at Simuscape I think I will be able to animate objects! (he wrote a very good tutorial over there) So this might get a bit more interesting. ;-)

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Quast65 wrote:
Yoursnotmine wrote:Anyway, how about we contact Whopper for his magnificent illusion of beach ? Maybe he can make something better...
Seeing those screenshots also inspired me to make this, however making those kind of beaches (especially the watercolors) will be very very difficult (if not impossible) due to the limitations of the color palette.
Hmm, the watercolors don't need to be that bright blue, just a normal one :wink:

Anyway, its probably a better attempt that we make a light-blue watertiles and light to dark blue transition. The beach itself will have two type : transparent water and with light blue water. Regarding your news, I may draw for the light blue water :o (as they will be animated too !)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Quast65 wrote:
The tiles themselves blend in pretty good already with the original sloped graphics as you can see from the screenies. I have drawn (read copy/pasted) the waterlines the same as the original tiles, so the waves match. For the sides I have made transition pieces from grass to sand (as you can see in the screenies), only the transition from sloped sand to flat grass is not gradual yet, I have some work to do on that.
i think you misunderstood me. what i meant was "original" vs. "OpenGFX", where your screenshots only show the latter.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Eddi wrote: [...] what i meant was "original" vs. "OpenGFX"
MariCo´s "beaches" will fit original TTD graphics.

regards
Michael
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

i think you misunderstood me. what i meant was "original" vs. "OpenGFX", where your screenshots only show the latter.
Ahh, I see. So either using the original game graphics from the CD or the Full TTO Conversion GRF? Well, to be honest I didn't take that in consideration as I only play with OpenGFX, which I think looks better, but that is a matter of personal taste. ;-)
I was curious however how it would look and it is not that bad, kinda fun to only see waves crashing on the beachtiles and not on the other coasttiles ;-) The only real trouble is with the transition pieces from grass to beach, they don't always match in all views. So you have to be selective in using the tiles. But good point, I think I will add in the GRF information that this set is designed to be used with OpenGFX-graphics.
Well it looks like this using the Full TTO Conversion GRF:
Beach04.png
Beach04.png (137.92 KiB) Viewed 20914 times
I don't think I will make tiles that fit in better with original graphics as I don't use those, but when this set is released you could make alterations yourself to match it to the original graphics if you would like to use this set. But thanks for the comment, this is exactly why I like to post my projects from an early stage, because others might think of things that I would never have considered myself.
MariCo´s "beaches" will fit original TTD graphics.
Cool, the more choice and diversity, the better!

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe it's an idea to draw the actual coast sprite from the base set underneath? Then your own spites need only to include the beach itself. No grass, no water, no waves. With a bit of careful planning I suppose you can then draw a beach sprite that works for both the TTD and the OpenGFX coast tiles.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:Maybe it's an idea to draw the actual coast sprite from the base set underneath?
That will likely fail or be a HUGE PITA due to different curvature and the tinyness of the sand on the TTD sprites. The coast sprites in both cases include the some water spray and the waves near the shore.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

@FooBar and planetmaker, I think indeed that will be a lot of work, which I don't want to do for this set (I would rather focus on more fun eyecandy). So I think it is best that people who use original graphics should only use the tiles that don't have a grass to beach transition, like the way I showed in the second screenie at the top of this thread.

Furthermore, I've looked at the size of the umbrella's and made some a bit smaller. I think they look better to be used on the beach, the big ones could then be used for the beachhouses as those also in real life tend to have bigger umbrella's.

I've made a screenie with only big umbrella's, only small and a combination. Please feel free to comment:
Beach05.png
Beach05.png (37.2 KiB) Viewed 20885 times

Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

I think I prefer the mixed.

Return to “Graphics Development”